Author Topic: Be Thankful  (Read 749 times)

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
Be Thankful
« on: November 28, 2013, 08:16:50 AM »
On this Thanksgiving Day I've decided to not only give thanks but to be truly thankful and grateful.

Every day we focus on how this country is going to Hell in a handbasket.
Yet we still enjoy bounty and wealth and safety unknown in the history of man or experienced anywhere in the world.

Today, put all the woes aside and thing of good things.

Thank you IDP, Trap, Pan, Libertas, JF and all the others who contribute here that I may learn and be aware.
And thank you for allowing me to be here

AP

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Be Thankful
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 02:09:32 PM »
Thanks for sticking, AP.   ::grouphug::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 02:30:51 PM »
I thank the entire crew here for accepting me as a member.  ::bows::
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 07:10:22 PM »
 ::grouphug::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 07:48:39 PM »
A big thanks to everyone for making this place what it is. ::USA:: May God bless you as he has me.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

RickZ

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 01:52:13 AM »
Be thankful for private property or else we'd be celebrating Starvation Day, not Thanksgiving for the food bounties on the table.

http://reason.com/archives/2013/11/27/we-should-bethankful-for-property

Had today's politicians and opinion-makers been in power four centuries ago, Americans might celebrate "Starvation Day" this week, not Thanksgiving.

The Pilgrims started out with communal property rules. When they first settled at Plymouth, they were told: "Share everything, share the work, and we'll share the harvest."

The colony's contract said their new settlement was to be a "common." Everyone was to receive necessities out of the common stock. There was to be little individual property.

That wasn't the only thing about the Plymouth Colony that sounds like it was from Karl Marx: Its labor was to be organized according to the different capabilities of the settlers. People would produce according to their abilities and consume according to their needs. That sure sounds fair.

They nearly starved and created what economists call the "tragedy of the commons."

If people can access the same stuff by working less, they will. Plymouth settlers faked illness instead of working the common property. The harvest was meager, and for two years, there was famine. But then, after the colony's governor, William Bradford, wrote that they should "set corn every man for his own particular," they dropped the commons idea. He assigned to every family a parcel of land to treat as its own.

The results were dramatic. Much more corn was planted. Instead of famine, there was plenty. Thanks to private property, they got food -- and thanks to it, we have food today.

--SNIP--

This is American history leftists do not teach nor want to acknowledge.  It goes against their very ideas of where we should, as a Nation, go, even though we've already been there, done that, and almost died.

Another fact totally ignored is that the first Thanksgiving was a charity event.  The colonists had to rely on the harvest provided by the Natives, and for that they were thankful, not thankful for the food they grew because they didn't grow enough food.  Communism sucks, even back in 1620, way before Marx and Engels were born.

Offline robins111

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 07:24:25 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving my American friends... Eat lots, have a good time with your family..

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 08:36:40 AM »
I'll be putting a turkey on my smoker in a while, to take up our daughter's in Wisconsin tomorrow, for our 2nd Thanksgiving.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 11:39:05 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving to all in IAL land!   ::grouphug::

Enjoy family food and friends, for soon we must rejoin the battle.

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.