Author Topic: Mid-Life Overweight = Mental Decline  (Read 1297 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Mid-Life Overweight = Mental Decline
« on: February 21, 2011, 06:51:12 PM »
Mid-Life Overweight = Mental Decline
Post by irondiopriest on Feb 25, 2010, 1:29am

This is the result of a 40 year study on many sets of twins.

HT: Instapundit...

Overweight Middle-Aged Adults at Greater Risk for Cognitive Decline in Later Life

...A study headed by Anna Dahl, MS, of Sweden’s Jönköping University, found that individuals with higher midlife body mass index (BMI) scores had significantly lower general cognitive ability and significantly steeper decline than their thinner counterparts over time.

<snip>

Similarly, changes in weight also signify declines in overall health... such fluctuations are significant indicators of future physical limitations and mortality in the elderly... a history of cyclically losing and gaining weight increased a person’s chance of having difficulty with activities of daily living — bathing, dressing, eating, etc. — by 28 percent.

Details at link...
Re: Mid-Life Overweight = Mental Decline
Post by rocketman on Feb 25, 2010, 11:11am

From the link:

"A study headed by Anna Dahl, MS, of Sweden’s Jönköping University, found that individuals with higher midlife body mass index (BMI) scores had significantly lower general cognitive ability and significantly steeper decline than their thinner counterparts over time."

THAT is crazy.
There are so many examples to disprove that "rule", it's pathetic.
It must be all the mercury in the Swedish seafood diet.

Post by johnflorida on Feb 25, 2010, 10:45pm

It's the POT SMOKING IT LEADS TO EATING!!  And memory loss.
Post by pablodefleurs on Feb 27, 2010, 10:21pm

I was such a nerd in 7th grade. Skinny, picked on & a crybaby...spilled over into 8th grade. Zero girl friends. I was not the cool kid by any means.

Then, while exploring the High School in my freshman year (I was only 13, one of the youngest in my class) I discovered the Nautilus room. WOW! Testosterone was pumping through my veins as I performed endless amounts of push-up, dips, weights & crunches...and, still slim & uncoordinated I went out for Cross Country. Then lettered. Then became captain. Then clobbered a bully.

Whoosh! Status elevated. Respect...& girls!

Today, at 50, I am 6' & 173 pounds. But nobody believes me. They don't think I'm over 150. And, last year at my high school reunion, there were a lot of depressed, older adults who "peaked" in high school & have been going downhill ever since.

Need a new exercise? Try this: Draw the alphabet...with your elbows, while balancing on a Swiss Ball -->

- but yuh gotta' stay in it to win it.
Post by pandora on Feb 28, 2010, 8:24am

The BMI measurements are another hoax, and they do not take into account muscle mass - muscle is heavier than fat.

Other studies have shown that the key to cognitive-retention is using it so you don't lose it. I don't know the average age of retirement in Sweden, but if people retire their brains when they stop working their regular jobs they do tend to dodder.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt