Author Topic: Family Forced to Dig Up Vegetable Garden or Face Fines  (Read 659 times)

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
Family Forced to Dig Up Vegetable Garden or Face Fines
« on: November 29, 2013, 09:18:46 AM »
Family Forced to Dig Up Vegetable Garden or Face Fines
By Babble.com | Healthy Living – Tue, Nov 26, 2013 12:26 PM EST

The one thing I really wanted when I lived in my post-college two-bedroom apartment was a place to grow vegetables. The thought of being able to walk outside and grab something for dinner was all too appealing for a newly minted dietitian. Much to my husband's chagrin, the first thing I made him do when we moved into our house (after painting) was build two raised-bed vegetable gardens. I immediately packed them with seeds: spinach, romaine, red peppers, green peppers, onions, carrots, broccoli. You name it, I planted it.

And then it all died. Not only do I have the complete opposite of a green thumb, but our backyard also doesn't get the amount of sun required to sustain the growth of such veggies. Our front yard, on the other hand, is drenched in beautiful, bright afternoon sun. It would have been the perfect place to put our vegetable garden, had the thought even crossed our mind. But perhaps it's a good thing we didn't. A Miami Shores couple was recently told by city ordinance officials that they had to dig up their 17-year-old vegetable garden, which supplied 80% of their family's food, or pay $50 a day in fines. Having been rejected in appeals twice, the couple ultimately was forced to destroy their garden in order to avoid paying $1,500 a month to keep it - that's way more than the cost of groceries.

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/family-forced-dig-vegetable-garden-face-fines-172600905.html
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Family Forced to Dig Up Vegetable Garden or Face Fines
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 10:45:06 AM »
The city planners.

I'm SOOOOO glad I live in a rural area.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson