Author Topic: A different slant on American hunters  (Read 1151 times)

Offline OldSailor

• The world is sick and getting sicker.
A different slant on American hunters
« on: December 05, 2013, 05:43:49 AM »
A friend at work sent me this - I make no claims regarding its accuracy.

Pretty Amazing!

A blogger added up the deer license sales in just a handful of states and arrived at a striking conclusion:

There were over 600,000 hunters this season in the state of Wisconsin ...

Allow me to restate that number: 600,000!

Over the last several months, Wisconsin 's hunters became the eighth largest army in the world. (That’s more men under arms than in Iran . More than France and Germany combined.)

These men, deployed to the woods of a single American state, Wisconsin, to hunt with firearms, and NO ONE WAS KILLED.

That number pales in comparison to the 750,000 who hunted the woods of Pennsylvania and Michigan 's 700,000 hunters, ALL OF WHOM HAVE RETURNED HOME SAFELY.

Toss in a quarter million hunters in West Virginia and it literally establishes the fact that the Hunters of those four states alone would comprise the largest army in the world.

And then add in the total number of hunters in the other 46 states.
It's millions more.

The point?

America will forever be safe from foreign invasion with that kind of home-grown firepower!

Hunting ... it's not just a way to fill the freezer. It's a matter of national security.

That's why all enemies, foreign and domestic, want to see us disarmed.

Food for thought, when next we consider gun control, whether you agree with it or not.

Overall it's true, so if we disregard some assumptions that hunters
don't possess the same skills as soldiers, the question would still remain...

What army of 2 million would want to face 30 million, 40 million, or 50 million armed citizens???

For the sake of our freedom, don't ever allow gun control or confiscation of guns.)

While I think some of those numbers are on the high side, I can't see them being off by a whole lot. Add to those numbers non-hunter gun owners like me and we could be talking nearly 100 million citizens with legally owned firearms. BATFE and the FBI probably have accurate figures, I'm just in too much of a hurry to look them up.

And most of us know how to handle them properly.

Is it any wonder a number of leftist statists want gun confiscation such as is practiced in much of Europe, Australia and certain dictatorships?

"In it's most basic form the right to keep and bear arms is nothing less than the right to maintain the means of one's own self-defense. If a man chooses not to arm himself, that is his choice and right. It is NOT his right to force his choice upon me." - Me

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: A different slant on American hunters
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 07:16:33 AM »
Unfortunately, aren't some of these hunters also dem's who see no problem with restricting others gun rights as long as their rights aren't trampled and see no irony or danger in such a position?

Just sayin'.

But to the larger point...Resist we much.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 07:56:57 AM »
Unfortunately, aren't some of these hunters also dem's who see no problem with restricting others gun rights as long as their rights aren't trampled and see no irony or danger in such a position?

I knew a guy like that once. HE could own a gun, but he didn't want anyone else to have them. The rule of law means nothing to them. They will just disobey the law and count on the fact that their liberal masters won't use their possession of illegal artifacts to persecute them.

Had a real gem of an example pull into deer camp last week. Big RV, parks waaay to close to other campers (soft-shells) and then is banging doors and yelling at 2:30 am ( yeah, only a couple of hours before we will all get up anyway right?)  His wife (who never emerges from the RV just thows a pile of diapers outside the door.  And when they leave? Yep, the diapers are still there, because, you know, its not as if they won't be driving right by the dumpster 30 seconds after they put the keys in the ignition Did I mention the liberal bumper stickers on the guys truck? "Oh, those rules don't apply to me. I am so loving and superior and those rules are for morons like you.." 

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 09:50:04 AM »
I think the non-hunter firearm-owning people vastly outnumber the people with hunting licenses. And I wonder how many bow hunters there are - silent and deadly arrows.

At the first sign of any "confiscation," the opening shot of a war will have been fired.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 10:29:01 AM »
I think the non-hunter firearm-owning people vastly outnumber the people with hunting licenses. And I wonder how many bow hunters there are - silent and deadly arrows.

At the first sign of any "confiscation," the opening shot of a war will have been fired.

From the NICS data ( go guess in the pool!)  almost 100 million checks have been performed since Obama took office.  Not every one of them was a purchase - some were Concealed carry checks, some were denied, and some resulted in multiple sales instead of one.  Since 1999 , 179,526,447 NICS checks have been done.  The 2010 census tells us there are approximately 61 Million men and women between the ages of  20 and 34. ( Who I assume would be responsible for most of the fighting)  In the first revolution, 3% took part in the fighting - that is 1.83 Million young, able fighters.  I think we have more than enough weapons to arm them and arm them well.  If you want wider age rages ( though I think few out side of those ranges could "keep up" with their younger cohorts)  you have 123 Million between the ages of 20 and 49.  Again. We have enough weapons purchased after 1999 to arm every single one of them.  3% is 3.7 million. The question again as always  is - how many will fight?

If "only" 3%, that is still a huge force. The current standing Chinese Military is 2.3 Million.

Any real attempt to disarm us will result in the revolution, and one they may not win easily- even with drones and air support. Given that most conservatives live in the rural areas to begin with and are already closer to being self-sufficient, cities and their infrastructure would be targeted - power lines would be cut, coal would cease showing up at power plants,  bridges in would be destroyed, Dams would be broken and water lines diverted.  American cities couldn't withstand a siege for very long, and exactly the sort of non-contributing human vermin and their arrogant narcissistic sociopathic self-serving masters would bear the brunt of it, largely killing each other, or dying from the disease  that would follow the lack of working sanitation pumps and clean water, or even starving for lack of food.

Its WMD if they want to win. And if they are willing to use that, then why haven't they already?

It may just be arrogance and incompetence all of the way down.  The new regime may  just die in a whimper.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 11:27:34 AM »

I knew a guy like that once. HE could own a gun, but he didn't want anyone else to have them. The rule of law means nothing to them. They will just disobey the law and count on the fact that their liberal masters won't use their possession of illegal artifacts to persecute them.

Had a real gem of an example pull into deer camp last week. Big RV, parks waaay to close to other campers (soft-shells) and then is banging doors and yelling at 2:30 am ( yeah, only a couple of hours before we will all get up anyway right?)  His wife (who never emerges from the RV just thows a pile of diapers outside the door.  And when they leave? Yep, the diapers are still there, because, you know, its not as if they won't be driving right by the dumpster 30 seconds after they put the keys in the ignition Did I mention the liberal bumper stickers on the guys truck? "Oh, those rules don't apply to me. I am so loving and superior and those rules are for morons like you.."

Some people really go out of their way to announce to the world their desire to be made into natural compost and forgotten...

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 11:33:24 AM »
And I would be so accommodating to them.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 11:33:55 AM »

From the NICS data ( go guess in the pool!)  almost 100 million checks have been performed since Obama took office.  Not every one of them was a purchase - some were Concealed carry checks, some were denied, and some resulted in multiple sales instead of one.  Since 1999 , 179,526,447 NICS checks have been done.  The 2010 census tells us there are approximately 61 Million men and women between the ages of  20 and 34. ( Who I assume would be responsible for most of the fighting)  In the first revolution, 3% took part in the fighting - that is 1.83 Million young, able fighters.  I think we have more than enough weapons to arm them and arm them well.  If you want wider age rages ( though I think few out side of those ranges could "keep up" with their younger cohorts)  you have 123 Million between the ages of 20 and 49.  Again. We have enough weapons purchased after 1999 to arm every single one of them.  3% is 3.7 million. The question again as always  is - how many will fight?

If "only" 3%, that is still a huge force. The current standing Chinese Military is 2.3 Million.

Any real attempt to disarm us will result in the revolution, and one they may not win easily- even with drones and air support. Given that most conservatives live in the rural areas to begin with and are already closer to being self-sufficient, cities and their infrastructure would be targeted - power lines would be cut, coal would cease showing up at power plants,  bridges in would be destroyed, Dams would be broken and water lines diverted.  American cities couldn't withstand a siege for very long, and exactly the sort of non-contributing human vermin and their arrogant narcissistic sociopathic self-serving masters would bear the brunt of it, largely killing each other, or dying from the disease  that would follow the lack of working sanitation pumps and clean water, or even starving for lack of food.

Its WMD if they want to win. And if they are willing to use that, then why haven't they already?

It may just be arrogance and incompetence all of the way down.  The new regime may  just die in a whimper.

I don't think I am suffering from wishful thinking...I just have to believe we could do more than 3% the next time around...I mean if we are close to a total of just 30m people who would be willing and only 10% actually actively participate there is 3m right there off the top.  As Regime atrocities begin to be seen up close and personal...I think that number could grow another 5-10%...now we are talking about 4.5-6m...the Regime would need to instititute a draft, that would dilute their effectiveness because many new forced recruits will have no desire to be a part of this outfit, so defections could send hundreds of thousands more to the rebels or just plain off the battlefield...the Regime would be forced to crack down harder on the populace and the atrocities would rise...causing more to rise against them...they would have no other option left but to use WMDs (likely biological and chemical weapons) to clear wide swaths of territory...they either keep that up or they die.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 04:40:37 PM »

Just sayin'.

But to the larger point...Resist we much.

Fudds, Libertas.

~~~~~~~~~~~

To your point about numbers, Weisshaupt, "..... behind ... blades of grass".
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 07:23:43 PM »
Fudds, indeed!

Offline OldSailor

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 06:09:01 PM »

There is that.  Good point shipmate.  I think the special forces still train folks to use them for the reason you listed, MUCH quieter than even the best firearm suppressor.
"In it's most basic form the right to keep and bear arms is nothing less than the right to maintain the means of one's own self-defense. If a man chooses not to arm himself, that is his choice and right. It is NOT his right to force his choice upon me." - Me

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 04:25:20 PM »
Not sure about the other states but according to this site 789,000 deer licenses were available in Pa. and less than 1000 have not been purchased.  I think OldSailors numbers are correct.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline OldSailor

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 08:22:59 PM »
Not sure about the other states but according to this site 789,000 deer licenses were available in Pa. and less than 1000 have not been purchased.  I think OldSailors numbers are correct.

'preciate the link ben.  I was actually figuring they were a bit high, glad they're close to realistic.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 08:41:46 PM »
That may be doe license numbers for Pa
Regular hunting license which allows a buck is unlimited