Author Topic: Blackberry help...  (Read 1214 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Blackberry help...
« on: February 21, 2011, 06:53:44 PM »
Blackberry help...
Post by pablodefleurs on Feb 27, 2010, 9:08pm

Believe it or not, I have made it this far in life without a smartphone. I use a normal cell phone, don't text a lot & haven't had the ability to read email via my phone. I do have wireless access via my laptop and cable on my home computer, but....

...I'm thinking of getting a Blackberry. I've been told Storm or Storm 2...but am still not even sure if I actually need one. Is it a case of not being able to live without it once you get one? Or are they genuinely useful gadgets?

Re: Blackberry help...
Post by userinvisible on Feb 27, 2010, 9:37pm

I have a storm 2 in a verizon trade up plan............

It has, in addition to whatever you are already paying (assuming you have verizon) a 29.99 additional monthly fee for the access...........

I have only had it about a month. the sliding your finger thing takes about 2 days to get used to.........
It does way more than I have figured out to do with it so far.........and you can access multiple e mail accts with it if you have more than one.

It as a free radio thing where you can pick the station and get a "commercial" every 5-6 songs, some skip options or you can pay a monthly access charge to get rid of the commercials. I don't use it enough for that. the sound is decent has speaker sound or like a regular hold it to your ear thing.

You can pay 9.99 a month if you need a GPS option......already have a tom tom.

It also does full keyboard for texting, you can turn it landscape or "regular" (forget what the regular view is called).

All in all, I like it, as I learn to do more it will be better I am sure. Also has calendar, the camera is GREAT, you can do video and record with it.......

I have downloaded a free amazon kindle thing but no books YET.......

I had a different verizon phone and at a verizon store was able to cross load all contacts and pics I had on the old phone.

Like I mentioned before, it does a LOT more than I have figured out so far. Have a buddy that has one.....plan to pump him for info next week on what else I am missing..........

Hope that helps.......
Post by pablodefleurs on Feb 27, 2010, 10:25pm

Thanks. It does help. Decisions. I do use Verizon. Think I'll crash the store next weekend & checkitowt...
Post by irondiopriest on Feb 28, 2010, 12:29am

They are genuinely useful gadgets. I never thought I'd like one, but the time came for new phones all around the household, and my wife truly need a smartphone for work reasons. It was a better deal for us to just get all four of us on the data plan, so I went ahead, and now I'm glad I did. It's really handy to have sophisticated applications at your fingertips, and really handy to have availability of Internet when you're away from broadband.

BUT... Don't get a Palm Pre. That's what I got, and while I enjoy the versatility of the added features, the functionality of that particular phone is pretty lame. My wife hates her's too.
Post by pablodefleurs on Feb 28, 2010, 5:52am

Thanks for the feedback. I'll place this image here...as a reminder...& think about it a little more.

Post by alphabetsoup on Feb 28, 2010, 11:33am

I have a company issued Pearl - an indispensable piece of crap. It utilizes a trackball for navigation that wears out in the first two weeks and then jumps all over the place making you want to throw the damn thing (which I have done on occasion).

It also increased my productivity which is the reason why the company doesn't seem to mind replacing broken Crackberry's from time to time.. 

One other thing - Sometimes I'll get a call but the ringer doesn't alert me. The f'ing thing doesn't ring! The only way I know that I've gotten a call is if someone leaves VM. I've spoken to Verizon about it but they pretend that it doesn't happen. If it was paying the tab I would be all in their chit about it. This never happened when we had service through ATT...

Post by pablodefleurs on Feb 28, 2010, 5:49pm

Thanks.

Do any of you work with Outlook, specifically the calendar function? Is it easy to use (set appointments, etc) given a smaller keyboard space?

I'd guess answering emails is about the same as texting...just using Outlook Mail?
Post by userinvisible on Feb 28, 2010, 6:07pm

Feb 27, 2010, 10:25pm, pablodefleurs wrote:
Thanks. It does help. Decisions. I do use Verizon. Think I'll crash the store next weekend & checkitowt...

If you can.......check it out in the store, but buy it ONLINE. It will save you money and takes less that 3 minutes to activate once it is on hand. Probably less that 3-4 days depending on where you are and the time of day you order it for Fedex to get it to your door. Shipping was free too.

I haven't messed with any of the "Outlook" options, yet.

Just getting back to work Monday after my 60 Day retirement vacation.

Last day is TODAY   ....... but I gotta pay bills.   and eat........
Post by pablodefleurs on Feb 28, 2010, 6:47pm

Feb 28, 2010, 6:07pm, userinvisible wrote:

Feb 27, 2010, 10:25pm, pablodefleurs wrote:

If you can.......check it out in the store, but buy it ONLINE. It will save you money and takes less that 3 minutes to activate once it is on hand. Probably less that 3-4 days depending on where you are and the time of day you order it for Fedex to get it to your door. Shipping was free too.

I haven't messed with any of the "Outlook" options, yet.

Just getting back to work Monday after my 60 Day retirement vacation.

Last day is TODAY   ....... but I gotta pay bills.   and eat........

Yeah...sleeping indoors & eating really take a chunk outta the budget, eh? 
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt