Author Topic: Bill Whittle:Shards  (Read 955 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Bill Whittle:Shards
« on: December 05, 2013, 09:57:11 AM »
The history of mankind has been to rule and to be ruled. For reasons that you and I will never understand, there exists in some people an insatiable desire to tell other people what to do; to bend others to their will. I suspect that every single one of those hearts is filled with a dread, a genuine horror, at the wasteland of their own emptiness, and so the bombast and the narcissism and the arrogance; the legions of fainting faithful and the roar of the applause; the reflections, the logos, the insertion of themselves into every event in history; the mind-numbing obsession with power – all of these, I think, are just shovels full of coal being pitched into the bottomless furnace of their own self-hatred. ....

Sauron is not evil because he wears black armor. Sauron is not evil because he is warlike. Sauron is the embodiment of evil because all of his strength and power is deployed to bend every living creature to his will....

Because none of them desire to be King. Whatever callow ambition they had as farm boys has been beaten out of them by terrible hardships and the wisdom of their helpers. At the moment of truth, each is given a chance for the absolute power that evil men crave, and they turn it down....

The Return of the King is not the story of the arrival of a man in a kingdom. It is the story of the arrival of a kingdom in a man.

Read the whole thing. That is why we watch LOTR every Christmas. Extended version. 6 Nights.
My son is already asking when we will start.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 10:03:20 AM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Bill Whittle:Shards
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 11:42:17 AM »
Those desiring of power are the very ones who should be denied it...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 07:22:24 PM »
Not necessarily. I desire the power to reverse all of the leftist-progtard agenda since the 1890's and I'm certain many here would jump at the chance to serve our cause for Liberty.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline fordguy_85

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 08:05:46 AM »
Very well written piece IMO... It's safe to say I'm a big fan of Bill's videos as well.
Eric Morgan
"Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed the conviction that these liberties are the gift of God?" - Thomas Jefferson

"Opinions and instructions do not outmatch the Constitution. Against it, they are void." - Calvin Coolidge

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 09:28:03 AM »
Not necessarily. I desire the power to reverse all of the leftist-progtard agenda since the 1890's and I'm certain many here would jump at the chance to serve our cause for Liberty.

Yeah, well the one nitpick I have with this piece is that George Washington wasn't listed in the same sentence with Arthur, Skywalker and Aragorn.  We have the legacy we have because he was the one non-fictional  Flesh and Blood real man who laid down the reigns of power when offered - and he wasn't offered them just once.

We all might grasp at  that power, but power corrupts.  You. Me. Everyone. Its really the heart of what Liberals don't understand about human nature.  Yes we would seize that power and do good with it to restore the Republic,  but could we continue to do so? Its a rare person who could put what they built- what he and others  lived, suffered and died for - down, and leave it to others to continue. That is why a second revolution is  so risky.  We may get something even worse from it - as history has shown time and time again. I would Hope I could put it down given that power, but until we are tested, we won't know.  Even Frodo fell to its power in the end. 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 11:47:29 AM »

Yeah, well the one nitpick I have with this piece is that George Washington wasn't listed in the same sentence with Arthur, Skywalker and Aragorn.  We have the legacy we have because he was the one non-fictional  Flesh and Blood real man who laid down the reigns of power when offered - and he wasn't offered them just once.

We all might grasp at  that power, but power corrupts.  You. Me. Everyone. Its really the heart of what Liberals don't understand about human nature.  Yes we would seize that power and do good with it to restore the Republic,  but could we continue to do so? Its a rare person who could put what they built- what he and others  lived, suffered and died for - down, and leave it to others to continue. That is why a second revolution is  so risky.  We may get something even worse from it - as history has shown time and time again. I would Hope I could put it down given that power, but until we are tested, we won't know.  Even Frodo fell to its power in the end.

Agreed.  And to Warp's point, what Warp wants is the end result, we do not need a singular person to achieve that, we have many who can achieve it once it is undertaken together.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.