Author Topic: Manliness  (Read 2078 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Manliness
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2013, 06:40:18 AM »
The past few years I've found myself just praying for strength. It works.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2013, 07:14:08 AM »
The past few years I've found myself just praying for strength. It works.

Like the "strength to be patient and not pummel a libiot into a puddle on sight" kinda strength?  Yeah...I need a lot of that...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2013, 09:52:41 AM »
I don't know what's worse a male who doesn't know how to be a man or a male who wants to make sure everyone knows he's the man. Neither knows what being a man is.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2013, 11:37:53 AM »
I don't know what's worse a male who doesn't know how to be a man or a male who wants to make sure everyone knows he's the man. Neither knows what being a man is.

Maybe the former has a chance to learn...just never had the right role model or internal gumption.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2013, 02:23:12 PM »

Maybe the former has a chance to learn...just never had the right role model or internal gumption.

Yes, there's that.  And such a guy is less likely to hurt others than the guy who has to "show" everyone he's a man. I've known both.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2013, 02:32:35 PM »
With me what ya see is what ya got. Don't like that? TFB, then don't let the door hit ya in the butt on yer way out. Or ignore me. I don't really care.

I don't play games or try to impress anyone.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 02:35:48 PM »

Yes, there's that.  And such a guy is less likely to hurt others than the guy who has to "show" everyone he's a man. I've known both.

Not sure, but perhaps this was the origin of "Walk softly & carry a BIG stick" quotation. Be prepared & friendly - until they give you a reason not to be. Then, neutralize them and, as a good will gesture, call 9-1-1 to make sure they have a ride home.  ;)
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2013, 02:42:19 PM »

I like Mal's description to the doc when he was worried of being off'd in his sleep...

"You'll be awake, armed and facing me"...

It's only when I am quiet that people acting foolish have cause to be nervous.

If I am yapping I am only having fun.  Well, OK...sometimes I do toy with my food.

The cat has taught me bad habits...