Topics > Faith & Family

Feel-good story of the day...

<< < (2/4) > >>

oldcoastie6468:
Watch this video. I dare you not to feel good.

http://www.trueactivist.com/gab_gallery/homeless-dog-living-in-a-trash-pile-gets-rescued-and-then-does-something-amazing/

Pandora:
Ah jeez, the poor thing.  That people do that to animals, tsk.

oldcoastie6468:

--- Quote ---Dog helps doctors monitor child during operation
Wednesday, December 18, 2013

DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) -- A 7-year-old girl and her dog share an inseparable bond, so much so that her four-legged friend underwent surgery with her.

Kaelyn "KK" Krawczyk suffers from mast cell activation disorder. Because of her rare condition, KK is susceptible to suffering episodes that can include a severe drop in blood pressure and trouble breathing. Even the anesthetic used for procedures to help the child can trigger an attack.

The Apex family wanted to get a service dog that would alert them if KK was having a medical emergency. They got a dog named "JJ" from a Chapel Hill nonprofit called Eyes, Ears, Nose, and Paws. The organization trained JJ to detect the scent KK gives off shortly before one of her episodes.

"JJ is very sensitive and can tell us that KK is having a reaction or starting to have a reaction before we see any clinical symptoms. She's alerted before monitors have been able to catch her reactions," mom Michelle Krawczyk said.

The Krawczyk family said they were very skeptical, but now believe JJ is KK's guardian angel.
--- End quote ---

A mast cell activation disorder caused my cousin's death. He was 55 years old when he died and suffered with it for at least 10 years.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=9365276

oldcoastie6468:

--- Quote ---Brazil's Post Offices Help Deliver Christmas Wishes
by LOURDES GARCIA-NAVARRO
December 19, 2013 3:06 AM

Volunteers look through children's letters to Santa at a post office in Salvador in northeastern Brazil's Bahia state. The campaign is part of a more than 20-year tradition to help those less fortunate to have gifts for the holiday.

Raul Spinasse/DPA /Landov

"Dear Father Christmas," the letter reads, "my name is Larissa. I know that you are very busy and that you live a long way away in the North Pole, but I'd like to ask you for a gift because my mother doesn't have enough money to buy what I want."

There are piles of similar letters — many decorated with stickers, drawings and hand prints — lying on makeshift tables in the main hall of the post office in downtown Sao Paulo.

Another letter, this one from a 10-year-old boy, reads: "My mother died when I was a young baby. I live with my brother and my father. But this Christmas he can't work because he's in the hospital."

A group of women sift through them, looking to choose one. Sonia Regina de Sa, a nurse's assistant, says she's been doing this every year for nine years.
--- End quote ---

http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/2013/12/19/251672620/brazils-post-offices-help-deliver-christmas-wishes

oldcoastie6468:

--- Quote --- Little girl's note sent to late grandma gets a surprise response

Posted: Dec 19, 2013 7:30 PM CST
Updated: Dec 19, 2013 7:39 PM CST
Posted by Josh DeVine - email

CHAPEL HILL, TN (WSMV) -
Anyone who's lost a loved one knows there are countless moments when all you want is another chance to speak to them again. One little girl wanted to reach out to her great-grandma, so she did it with a balloon.

"I really do miss her, because she was my favoritest grandmother ever," said Bella Hosford, of Chapel Hill, TN.

Bella lost her great-grandmother when Minnie Sue Watts died in August 2012.

"The last day I got to see her, it was a really special day to me, because I knew that she was going to go to Heaven," Bella said. "Whenever I hugged her, the last thing she ever said to me was, 'I love you, Bella.'"

A year later, the 8-year-old girl had an idea to say goodbye: a simple note tied to a balloon and sent into the summer sky.

"Tell Mawmaw I love her," the note said.

Months passed, and life moved on.

And on Monday, came a surprise. Bella got a response when a small box appeared in the family's mail.

"Then, when you open it and you see this brown satin envelope, and then you open it up and you see the locket with a balloon, and then it all hit you," said Bella's mother, Tricia Hosford. "We stood at the end of the driveway for probably five, 10 minutes, just crying and embracing and just absorbing the moment."

Whoever did it also sent a note on the back of the one Bella wrote.

"Dearest Bella," Tricia Hosford said, reading from the note. "Mawmaw is always with you. Just close your eyes and you will see her. Love, your guardian angel."
--- End quote ---

http://www.wsmv.com/story/24267809/little-girls-note-sent-to-late-grandma-gets-a-surprise-response

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version