Author Topic: The Obama economy kills another business- Mine:(  (Read 2003 times)

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Re: The Obama economy kills another business- Mine:(
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2013, 09:08:43 AM »
I missed this the first time around.  Good luck. 

I do have one question.  If you sell real estate, there's nothing stopping you from continuing to sell real estate, is there?  You don't need a fancy store front, just the ability to get out there and sell, right?

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2013, 04:43:15 PM »
I missed this the first time around.  Good luck. 

I do have one question.  If you sell real estate, there's nothing stopping you from continuing to sell real estate, is there?  You don't need a fancy store front, just the ability to get out there and sell, right?

Good question.

I was affiliated with a company that kept the costs down,  but even that was too expensive for the low level of volume I was doing at the end.   There are expenses that cannot be lowered or cut.   There is EO insurance,  MLS fees, realtor dues, that are only getting far more expensive.   The regulations have increased in a manner I never thought the industry would put up with (isn't NAR supposed to be one of the better lobbying groups?).   It takes time to keep up with that nonsense,  because you don't want to get busted violating something you have no idea exists  (and "enforcement" has increased).  The basic contract got two whole pages longer in just the last 3 years.    And you have to keep up with what is going in the mortgage business,  which believe it or not,  is ever worse off.   The conditions that created the last bubble haven't really been fixed,  so there will be another dip before too long.

Going totally (which what you are asking,  about is) on my own wouldn't be less expensive, but would be far more work (and liability).   There are very few totally on their own real estate people any more,  regulations and the way the business is done in the internet age has largely made it unworkable.    Add on to it,  my own shortcomings,  I don't see it working. 

I have been struggling since at least 2010.   So the hole really wasn't getting smaller either.   The beginning of the recession wasn't horrible for me,  but as it went on,  it only got worse and worse.   It wears you down.   And there is no light at the end of the tunnel either.   My business plan didn't involve a second term for Barry, and a Hilliary Clinton presidency is still a strong possibility.    I can't wait it out anymore as the business won't really turn until there isn't a Democrat in the White House. 

And it just not fun anymore.   It used to be.   Very few agents would consider it fun anymore. 

People  under 40 just don't have credit or money anymore.   I live in an area that a low paying job means you will probably go bankrupt even with a very modest lifestyle,  the expense of just living is just so high.   This used to be an area you came too, to get ahead.     So people aren't buying,  even though they would love too.   I imagine its a problem in most suburban,  urban areas in the country now.   Its so hard for people to even start out doing it the right way now,  its no wonder why people don't bother anymore.   

Kicking out the bottom rung for the regular Joe,  is killing the real estate business,  along with everything else.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2013, 07:38:18 AM »
My nephew is a realtor here in Minnie, but he is young and the market here is OK, so he's getting by...but another implosion in the market (which, being pumped full of hot air thanks to Obama/Dems/Neo-Keynesians is probably a matter of "when" not "if"!) and he could be looking for new work pretty quick.

Hang tough Rich, the Good Lord willing something will present itself to you!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2013, 09:09:58 AM »
Now I get it.  Regulations to drive the little guy out.  Rent seeking at it's finest.

According to my wife, mortgage volume at Big Bank is way down, and has never recovered.  Hard to jibe with Libertas' words and news stories.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2013, 09:59:17 AM »
Wells or US?  Well, doesn't matter.  My neice works at the former...still employed, for now...

I think a lot of the online retailers have cut into traditional bank lenders...part of the reason HARP came along, just another excuse to churn mortgage volume and make like housing recovery is here at last and provide a little back-scratch for banks...

And, here we go, wham bam slam!  http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-12-19/housing-bubble-20-same-housing-bubble-10-just-different-actors

What my nephew the realtor does say, is that there are still a lot of short sales going on, so I'd like to start seeing some honest balance sheets for lenders, then we'll have a better idea when the real screaming starts.  (Real for the politicians, that is)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2013, 12:45:51 PM »
The latter, with plenty of people from the former, that were let go when the bubble popped.