Author Topic: Maverick / James Garner  (Read 896 times)

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
Maverick / James Garner
« on: July 20, 2014, 07:20:10 AM »
Movie/TV legend James Garner dies

Support Your Local Sheriff -Trailer

The Associated Press - By LYNN ELBER - AP Television Writer1 hour agoFILE - James Garner as Australia- bound Jason McCullough rides into gold-rush boom town of Calendar in this April 1968 file photo taken at MGM Studios. Actor James Garner, wisecracking star of TV's "Maverick" who went on to a long career on both small and big screen, died Saturday July 19, 2014 according to Los angeles police.  He was 86.

The Man With No Name VS Bret Maverick

RIP James Garner
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 07:40:28 AM by rustybayonet »
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
Re: Maverick / James Garner
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 08:25:03 AM »
Loved Maverick.

I think Rockford Files was pretty good but I seldom watched TV at that time period

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 11:34:03 AM »
 I will truly miss him.  Never heard one bad thing about him in real life.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 12:18:23 PM »
In case some didn't report on it here's some tidbits about his service.

Later, he joined the National Guard serving seven months in the United States. He then went to Korea for 14 months in the Regular Army, serving in the 5th Regimental Combat Team in the Korean War. He was wounded twice, first in the face and hand from shrapnel fire from a mortar round, and second on April 23, 1951 in the buttocks from friendly fire from U.S. fighter jets as he dove headfirst into a foxhole. Garner was awarded the Purple Heart in Korea for the first injury. For the second wound, he received a second Purple Heart (eligibility requirement: "As the result of friendly fire while actively engaging the enemy"), although Garner received the medal in 1983, 32 years after his injury.[10][13][14][15] Garner was a self-described "scrounger" for his company in Korea, a role he later played in The Great Escape[16] and The Americanization of Emily.
I know for sure I'll miss his presence on the planet and can never go past a movie on any channel if he's in it. RIP James and God Speed
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 12:43:04 PM »
Awww, crap.  Always liked his work.

RIP, James.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 12:44:47 PM »
Not that it matters today, he was a supported of the Rats however and this was interesting, he marched with MLK during March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom. Funny how he would do this all while giving to the Rats. From what I read, his wife had more to do with this aspect of his life. Had he realized who they really are I'm certain support would have fallen away just as so many have a difficult time endorsing policies that have and are destructive in results
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 02:50:33 PM »
One of my favorite actors. I didn't know what his politics were and that says a lot in and of itself.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 08:51:17 PM »
I can't remember anything he was in that I didn't like. ::praying::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 09:13:45 PM »
Loved The Rockford Files.

I was just thinking the other day I should get my dvds out since it's been a few years since I bought them and watched. That showed premiered 40 years ago this coming September. I was surprised how entertaining it was after so many years. There are other shows I've watched that are 20, 30, 40 years old and I just cringe that I used to watch. But Rockford seems to have held up--story and character-wise. I think James Garner will always be entertaining to watch.

theme song here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufAilKMW6Fs

polaroid commercial with Mariette Hartley here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt82z_GUCKw
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 06:57:55 AM »
Born James Scott Bumgarner in Norman, Oklahoma.

Liked him in just about everything I can remember him in, whole family were Rockford Files fans...being in the Great Escape with all those huge names is a once in a lifetime bonus and one of my all-time favorites.

R.I.P. James, and thanks for all the great entertainment. 
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Magnum

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 06:06:10 PM »
Just got back from up north and wifey did not want to tell me when I was away because she knew he was one of my favorites.

Of my favorites Steve McQueen, John Wayne, Charlton Heston, James Garner, only Clint Eastwood is left. Man does time go fast, wow.

I pray he is with the Lord.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 06:58:59 PM by Magnum »
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your GOD will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline whimsicalmamapig

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 05:54:38 PM »
Our whole family watched Maverick but my favorites were his comedies, especially those with Doris Day. That is another era of American film that the lefties have taken away and replaced with the likes of Tom Hanks and Robin Williams - no comparison there.
Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson