Author Topic: Ruger SR-762  (Read 6096 times)

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
Ruger SR-762
« on: September 01, 2014, 06:37:56 PM »
http://dailycaller.com/2014/07/06/gun-test-ruger-sr-762/

Looks like a well thought out rifle with two stage gas piston system. Iron sites are a nice touch.

Might be getting one of these. ::thumbsup::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Ruger SR-762
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 07:04:03 PM »
Wow, looks like a sweet platform, and the bigger round (something desirable there) would be nice.  Nice shooting report to, and I think we all agree on the warm bolt/hot barrel debate, I guess the only open issue is how much of a pain in the butt cleaning the gas block and regulator is?
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 08:37:17 PM »
Wow, looks like a sweet platform, and the bigger round (something desirable there) would be nice.  Nice shooting report to, and I think we all agree on the warm bolt/hot barrel debate, I guess the only open issue is how much of a pain in the butt cleaning the gas block and regulator is?
Can it be any worse than an M-14/M1A? Brother has the Sig 716 with gas piston driven bolt. He hasn't complained. But this is a bit more complex but I imagine it just takes time getting used to it.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 08:44:45 PM »
But this is a bit more complex but I imagine it just takes time getting used to it.

That was my first thought. More pieces=more likely to break.
But, I think that would be overridden by possibility of a quick second shot.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 10:13:39 PM »
But this is a bit more complex but I imagine it just takes time getting used to it.

That was my first thought. More pieces=more likely to break.
But, I think that would be overridden by possibility of a quick second shot.
Without defending Ruger, I'm certain that unlike so many that rushed their designs to get into the market, they took the necessary steps in design phase to test everything and upgrade materials where needed.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 12:28:31 PM »
I'm in the market for an AR, and I thought about going for an AR-10 clone.  Skip all the debate about 5.56 bullet weights and barrel twist rates, and just go straight to 7.62.  No debates on that one.

But I do sort of want a proper mil-spec AR-15, and I'm currently leaning toward the Bravo Company Mid-16.  I currently have a DPMS Sportical, which is a fun range rifle but it's not a good SHTF choice for a variety of reasons.

I'm still a bit "meh" on the whole piston fad.  I prefer a direct impingement AR.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 12:42:20 PM »
I currently have a DPMS Sportical, which is a fun range rifle but it's not a good SHTF choice for a variety of reasons.

If it goes bang each time you pull the trigger, what more could you want?

I'm still a bit "meh" on the whole piston fad.  I prefer a direct impingement AR.

And yet many prefer the piston operation.

I don't know enough about the AR-15 to argue either way.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 05:49:37 AM »
The argument goes like this. Direct gas impingement will eventually after many rounds fired begin to heat things up and begin to screw with the accuracy. Fouling was also a concern which was why the Garand rifle and the Springfield M14 were piston operated. There have been tests for validity but even so the M-16/M-4 variants weren't giving anyone so much trouble that they abandoned them. On the other hand the larger round uses a larger charge so it was assumed that it would gum up faster.  Almost forgot to mention the gas piston has a small weight penalty to contend with making a rifle heavier

Get what you want and are comfortable with, you won't be spending so many rounds that it will make a difference.

From the experts at Stag Arms:
The direct impingement has proven itself through the years on the AR-15 platform and replacement parts are inexpensive, easy to obtain, and generally made to a set “mil-spec” standard.  Due to the hot gas from the fired cartridge being redirected into the action it will quickly heat up and become dirty requiring a cool down period before the bolt carrier can be removed from the rifle.

The action of a piston rifle remains cool and clean, even after shooting 100 rounds in rapid succession. The bolt carrier can be removed immediately and held in your hand without burning yourself. The trade off for the action staying cool and clean is that you will experience snappier recoil when shooting which makes the piston rifle a little less accurate, especially for follow up shots. Finally, piston system parts are not interchangeable between manufacturers due to there being no set standard and the use of proprietary pistons and bolt carriers.

http://info.stagarms.com/blog/bid/297530/The-difference-between-Gas-Piston-and-Direct-Impingement-technology-for-an-AR-15
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 06:02:40 AM by warpmine »

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 04:34:08 PM »
Thanks for the info. ::thumbsup::

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Magnum

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 04:08:14 PM »
I'm in the market for an AR, and I thought about going for an AR-10 clone.  Skip all the debate about 5.56 bullet weights and barrel twist rates, and just go straight to 7.62.  No debates on that one.

But I do sort of want a proper mil-spec AR-15, and I'm currently leaning toward the Bravo Company Mid-16.  I currently have a DPMS Sportical, which is a fun range rifle but it's not a good SHTF choice for a variety of reasons.

Glock You cannot go wrong with a BCM AR.

I built one with a 20" BCM upper and their full auto BCG. I put it on a Spikes lower with palmetto QMS LPK with a A2 stock and it is an outstanding gun.

I have found when I use red lithium high temp wheel bearing grease on my BCG it runs flawlessly and cleans up easier. On my present build I am either going to buy a Ni-boron BCG or a Black Nitride one as prices have come down greatly on them.

If you feel like building your own, BCM has a sale going on where you can get a  BCM Standard 16" Mid Length Upper and their quality full auto BCG for $439.00. If they are out of stock they usually will be back in stock within a week.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16.htm

Palmetto State Armory also has good deals on their AR's but it is hit or miss.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/

PSA seem to be of excellent quality as their barrels are made by FN.

I just completed a build using a PSA 300 AAC Blackout upper that I am dying to try out.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 04:13:49 PM by Magnum »
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your GOD will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 04:36:13 PM »
Thanks for the info Magnum.  The AR is still a source of confusion at times.  I really wish everything wasn't carbine, because what I really want is a semi-auto clone of a M16A3.  I don't plan on doing house clearing drills, so I'd really prefer a rifle length.

- Yours Truly

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 06:04:20 PM »
Thanks for the info Magnum.  The AR is still a source of confusion at times.  I really wish everything wasn't carbine, because what I really want is a semi-auto clone of a M16A3.  I don't plan on doing house clearing drills, so I'd really prefer a rifle length.

House cleaning with a scattergun is hard to beat.

Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 08:33:59 PM »

House cleaning with a scattergun is hard to beat.

Magazine extension.  Not hunting legal but home legal.  Booyah!   ::thumbsup::

OT-I wonder how good those Fillipino 1911's are?  Worth a $300 bet?
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 10:13:35 PM »
Yeah I have a Winchester 1300 Defender for scattergun vermin control.  A full tube of #4 buck is the reward for anyone dumb enough to B&E here.

- Yours Truly

Offline Magnum

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 05:22:42 PM »

Here are photos similar to the ones I built:

BCM upper, Spikes Lower with 20 inch govt profile barrel, 1 in 7 twist

DPMS upper, Anderson Lower with a 20 inch Heavy Barrel, 1 in 9 twist, even though this is a very accurate riffle I would not recommend the heavy barrel as it does get heavy when trudging through the woods.

Also you cannot go wrong with the gold standard Colt M16 A4

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/637224_Colt_AR_15_A4__Pic_s_Inside_.html

Sorry Warpmine I did not mean to hijack your post, the Ruger does look like a awesome gun that has peaked my interest, Thank You.
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your GOD will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 07:50:46 PM »
Those are fantastic looking rifles Magnum.  I understand the advantages of a shorter weapon, but I just think the classic M16 style should not have become passé.

Maybe building is the way to go, versus buying a complete rifle.

ETA - Magnum what do you think of the FN-15?  I didn't even know of this rifle until today.  Basically FN's civilian version of the M16A4.  http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/carbines/fn-15-series/fn15-rifle
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 08:06:40 PM by Glock32 »

- Yours Truly

Offline Magnum

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 01:20:01 PM »
Hi Glock I think the FN - 15 is a Awesome gun from what I have read and heard. FNH USA is the current manufacturer for the M16A4 and M4 series rifles for the U.S. military.

Here are a couple links you may want to look at when you have time.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/630342__ARCHIVED_THREAD____fnh_fn15.html&page=1

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/01/foghorn/new-fnh-usa-fn-15-modern-sporting-rifles/

FN is the company that makes barrels for Palmetto State Armory if you are considering building your own. For Example:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies/psa-chf-20-5-56mm-1-7-rifle-length-a2-profile-w-bcg-charging-handle.html

Keep me updated. I will help you in anyway I can especially if you decide to build your own, I will warn you however once you build one they tend to breed like rabbits ::thumbsup::