Author Topic: Camouflaged Military Bunkers of Switzerland  (Read 899 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Camouflaged Military Bunkers of Switzerland
« on: October 01, 2015, 04:01:44 PM »
Switzerland is a politically neutral country, yet it has a strong military.

All across the Swiss alps are military installation and bunkers carefully hidden so as to blend into the surrounding landscape. Some of them are camouflaged as huge rocks, others as quiet villas or barns that could open up in the event of an emergency to reveal cannons and heavy machine guns that could blow any approaching army to smithereens. Enormous caverns are dugout on the mountain side to function as ad-hoc airbases with hangars. Every major bridge, tunnel, road and railway has been rigged so they could be deliberately collapsed, whenever required, to keep enemy armies out. Highways can be converted into runways by quickly removing the grade separations in between the lanes.

RTWT.

And pix, many pix.

eta:  Via American Digest
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 04:04:57 PM by Pandora »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline richb

• Established Member
Re: Camouflaged Military Bunkers of Switzerland
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 04:26:53 PM »
They may be more necessary in the near future,  then they think.     I haven't heard how many invaders from the religion of peace are being set up there.   Probably more then a few.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 07:16:57 AM »
I've always admired the Swiss approach to defense issues, much more aligned with our citizen-centric Founding Principles.  Everybody armed, everything fortified.  A land invasion would be difficult to launch against them, the mountainous nature of their nation is wisely leveraged by them.  Somebody would have to launch massive airborne forces to take key strategic points (of which there must be several hundred) just to make an incursion possible...and holding it would be difficult.  Can you imagine trying to root out every resistance fighter from such a terrain, when they have nothing but infinite knowledge of that terrain?  It would be way worse than the Soviets in Afghanistan.

Cool pics.   ::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 03:06:53 AM »
They are EXACTLY like us.....their defeat and ours, can only be engineered from within. 

And both are currently being done just that way.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 10:50:42 AM »
But evidently, they've modernized (gone progressive). According to the article:

But today, as a neutral country with no immediate threats to its borders, most of the bunkers lie empty and many are falling into disrepair. Some have been converted into shelters for homeless people, others house things like museums and hotels.

The Swiss government considered closing them down but the cost of decommissioning — an estimated $1 billion — far surpasses what it takes annually to maintain them. While the matter is still debated, the bunkers are likely to stay because they still provide use as fallout shelters. "Neutrality is no guarantee against radioactivity," they say. In 1978, a law was passed requiring all new buildings to incorporate a shelter. If a family decides against building a shelter, they must pay for a place in the public shelter. Switzerland is the only country in the world that could provide protection to its entire population of 8 million, and more.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 07:24:33 AM »
Perhaps...but they are not nearly as stupid as their neighbors...or us...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.