Author Topic: Cheap AK mags -- Eastern bloc surplus  (Read 4468 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Cheap AK mags -- Eastern bloc surplus
« on: July 11, 2014, 05:33:32 PM »
Don't know who else here has Kalashnikov rifles, but you might want to grab some of these mags while they are still available:

http://www.sgammo.com/product/surplus/last-chance-30-round-ak-47-mag-used-condition-varies-good-new-eastern-european-milit

These are all surplus ComBloc, from various countries. The originals are still the best way to go.  Fun fact, if you have rusty mags that are otherwise in good condition, clean off the rust with a metal brush and thoroughly degrease the disassembled magazine.  Now soak the mag body in a bowl of Coke.  The phosphoric acid in cola will form a layer of iron phosphate over the formerly rusted spot.  After they've been soaking for a few hours, clean them off and repaint with something like BBQ grill paint.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Cheap AK mags -- Eastern bloc surplus
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 11:28:47 PM »
Now that Obama has issued sanctions against a slew of Russian armaments companies, you can probably expect another run on Russian ammo. As far as I know, the major small arms ammunition companies are not targeted by these sanctions, but don't be surprised for this to eventually cover them too.

http://sipseystreetirregulars.blogspot.com/2014/07/well-it-took-him-long-enough-no-more.html

Personally, I just added another 1,000 round case of 7.62x39 to my substantial collection  ;D

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 07:02:51 AM »
His tit-for-tat trade war with the Rooskies over Ukraine means if you haven't already loaded up on AK parts and ammo you may have missed the boat or have to get used to soaring prices for what is available, especially in the private market...

NY Slimes report on the recent actions by Her Highness...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/17/world/europe/obama-widens-sanctions-against-russia.html?_r=0

And to the AK in particular I give you - http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-07-16/if-you-own-kalashnikov-rifle-obama-just-sanctioned-you

« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 08:04:25 AM by Libertas »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 10:50:26 AM »
The whole thing is BS.  It was an excuse to target Russian weapon manufacturers, similar to Clinton targeting the Chinese rifle and ammo back in the early 90s.  Prior to that, Norinco was a very popular and inexpensive supplier of SKS and AK type rifles.  They are also highly regarded (I guess that's one thing the Chinese make well) though I never had one.

But ZeroHedge also overstates things a bit.  These sanctions target the Russian company called Kalashnikov Concern and its products, which for the American consumer means the Saiga and Vepr brands of rifles and shotguns.  Kalashnikov rifles in the generic sense will continue to be available, and the Russian made ones have never been the most numerous anyway.  Romanian, Bulgarian, and Serbian rifles are still importable.  There's also finally some decent 100% US-made Kalashnikov rifles available.

It does pinch the overall supply though, which hurts everybody. Prices will go up across the board now that the Bulgarian, Romanian, and Serbian rifles own more of the market space.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 11:21:02 AM »
That is true, there are other nations, but how long will it be before they are leaned on, and on the ammo side is there more than Russian suppliers?  I guess I don't know.  And I am still PO'd at W for not releasing those Korean era M1's back home, what fricken wuss!  These bans go in place and they last forever!

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 01:33:27 PM »
That is true, there are other nations, but how long will it be before they are leaned on, and on the ammo side is there more than Russian suppliers?  I guess I don't know.  And I am still PO'd at W for not releasing those Korean era M1's back home, what fricken wuss!  These bans go in place and they last forever!

For eastern bloc calibers, the Russian suppliers are by far the most common.  It would really hurt to suddenly be cut off from those imports.  But there are other sources, still.  A lot of the more recent imports have been coming from Ukraine.  Romania also produces a fair bit of ammo.  I've also seen some newer stuff from Bosnia and Serbia.

I think an attack on the import of Russian ammunition would be worse than this ban on their firearms.  If you have anything in the Russkie calibers, now is probably a good time to address any holes in your ammo supply. My preferred type is the Golden Tiger brand.  They still produce it entirely to milspec, with lacquered cases, primers, and case mouths. Most of the other brands have switched to a polymer coating, and completely eliminated the sealant on the primer and case mouth. It's fine for blasting ammo, but it simply does not store long term like the original milspec stuff.  I have some old Wolf brand ammo (milspec) I bought around 2000 that has been sitting loose in a bucket in my garage for years, and it has not a speck of corrosion on it.

- Yours Truly

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 04:42:40 PM »
Now that Obama has issued sanctions against a slew of Russian armaments companies, you can probably expect another run on Russian ammo. As far as I know, the major small arms ammunition companies are not targeted by these sanctions, but don't be surprised for this to eventually cover them too.

http://sipseystreetirregulars.blogspot.com/2014/07/well-it-took-him-long-enough-no-more.html

Personally, I just added another 1,000 round case of 7.62x39 to my substantial collection  ;D

Bambi has announced a new round of sanctions against Russia.  I have not yet been able to find what companies are targeted, so right now I am not sure if Russian ammunition is affected.

Since they took the opportunity of the last round of sanctions to ban import of Saiga and Vepr firearms, I figure ammo will eventually find its way onto their chopping block.

Anyone know more about today's announced sanctions?

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 06:47:28 AM »

Bambi has announced a new round of sanctions against Russia.  I have not yet been able to find what companies are targeted, so right now I am not sure if Russian ammunition is affected.

Since they took the opportunity of the last round of sanctions to ban import of Saiga and Vepr firearms, I figure ammo will eventually find its way onto their chopping block.

Very little detail...

US President Barack Obama has announced new economic sanctions against Russia.

They include banning people in the US from banking with three Russian banks. The EU earlier expanded its sanctions, targeting the oil sector, defence equipment and sensitive technologies.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28551391

I am guessing the EU expansion will have matching reciprocity with us, but what is swept into the "defence equipment" umbrella is anyones guess...

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 09:17:09 AM »
Since the EU depends on Russian natural gas and pipelines, that's some serious theater.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 10:22:59 AM »
Since the EU depends on Russian natural gas and pipelines, that's some serious theater.

And the Euro Greens insisted on dismantling nuclear power capability, so maybe if there's a harsh winter and not enough gas for heating, that smug sense of self-righteousness can keep them warm.

France is the notable exception with regard to nuclear energy.  They embraced it heavily, but I'm sure there are efforts to reverse that. Germany used to have a fair amount of nuclear energy as well, but I think they've decommissioned almost all of them.

Of course, places like the Ruhr valley in Germany, and Wales in the UK, are rich with coal deposits...but yeah you know that won't be an option either.

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 08:52:07 PM »

It was reported at the Grouchies that Russion ammo is being held up at port. Kiss that ammo source goodbye.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 10:06:28 PM »
Glad I bought another case of it.  I could see that writing on the wall.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 06:49:12 AM »
There is always the black market...