Author Topic: Talladega Finish...Close As It Gets  (Read 2134 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Talladega Finish...Close As It Gets
« on: April 18, 2011, 12:05:14 PM »
Yesterday's race was damned exciting with a terrific photo finish. Jimmy Johnson won by only a couple of thousandths of a second.

Video at this link.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 12:12:01 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Talladega Finish...Close As It Gets
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 12:29:09 PM »
I watched that.  And all Jr got for helping JJ was 4th place!  Next big track you can bet Jr will be asking JJ for a return favor if he's in a position to do so.  Seriously, watching it on the tube, I thought maybe Boyer on the outside might have got it.  I guess inside is shorter!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 11:15:51 PM »
I really thought that Jeff Gordon was gonna do it. He opened up a big lead on the second to last lap...just charged up there like it was nothing and then it just got away from him on the last lap. He has an outstanding reputation in restrictor plate racing for a reason.

Still, a great ending to a great race.

I do agree with the two guys on the vid, though. I would like to see the restrictor plates come off and see what these cars can really do if given the opportunity. They call them superspeedways and yet there is no super speed.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 06:37:51 AM »
Yeah.  Pulling that plate off and letting the hounds out would be nice, but some of the wrecks could get nasty.  But with the improvements in safety systems...it might be worth a shot.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 06:21:47 PM »
I used to go to Darlington pre restrictor plate.....and watch Awesome Bill from Dawsonville run 216+. That was racing. This they do now is who can make the better deal to get pushed around the track. The only reason to watch is the big wreck.

I don't see the big track racing of today safer.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.