Author Topic: Presidential Facts  (Read 2904 times)

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
Presidential Facts
« on: August 16, 2014, 03:31:57 PM »
Some here were interested.  If there is an interest I'll do this thru George Bush when I had completed my study and research....

Presidential Facts

George Washington    1789-1797

1st United States President – – known as 'The Father of Our Country
Born  February 22, 1732 in Pope's Creek, Virginia
Died  December 14, 1799 at Mount Vernon, Virginia
Education – Elementary....then self taught and a gift for Mathematics – became a surveyor at 16
Father died when age 11-- Mother remarried
Brother – [half] Lawrence , became his father figure
Wife – Martha Dandridge Custis a widow / Born 1731 – Died 1802 ---Married January 6, 1759
Children – None
Religion – Episcopalian

Military – British Officer Commissioned a Lt. Col 1754 at one time four bullets went through his coat
                  and should have killed him, also 2 horses shot from beneath him later.  After the colonials
                  were blamed for the defeat by the French, he resigned his commission from the British
                 Army.
July 3, 1775 appointed Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army with a rank of Lt. General
                      [3 Stars]  {Recommended by President Ford with a Joint Congressional Resolution
                                       Washington was posthumously promoted to General of the Armies 6 stars,
                                       July 4, 1976, then the rank was frozen so no one could ever outrank him.}
Oath of Office - 1st Term – Thursday April 30, 1789 on the Senate Balcony, Federal Hall, Wall Street,
                                           New York – Administered by the Chancellor State of New York,
                                           Robert R. Livingston
                           2nd Term – Monday March 4, 1793 in the Senate Chamber of Congress Hall,
                                           Philadelphia. Pennsylvania{Congress had fixed the inaugurations to be held
                                           on this date}. Administered by Supreme Court Associated Justice
                                           William Cushing.

Salary  $25,000.00

John Adams --- Vice-President

Cabinet

Vice-President                                   John Adams            1789-1797

Secretary of State                     Thomas Jefferson         1789-1794
                                                       Edmund Randolph         1794-1795
                                                       Timothy Pickering         1795-1797

Secretary of Treasury                    Alexander Hamilton         1789-1795
                                                       Oliver Wolcott Jr.         1795-1797

Secretary of  War             Henry Knox            1789-1794
                Timothy Pickering         1794-1795
                James McHenry            1795-1797

Attorney General              Edmund Randolph         1789-1793
                 William Bradford         1793-1791
                 Charles Lee            1795-1797

Postmaster General            Samuel Osgood         1789-1791
                  Thomas Pickering         1791-1795
                  Joseph Habersham         1795-1797

Only President to appoint the entire Supreme Court

John Jay – 1789—Chief Justice
      James Wilson – 1789         
      William Cushing – 1790      
      James Iredell – 1790
                          John Rutledge - 1790 [appointed Chief Justice in 1975         
                John Blair - 1790
                          Thomas Johnson - 1792
                          William Paterson - 1793
                          Samuel Chase - 1796
                          Oliver Ellsworth - 1796 [new Chief Justice]

States Admitted During Washington Terms

North Carolina 1789
Rhode Island  1790
Vermont  1791
Kentucky  1792
Tennessee  1796

{sorry for poor transfer layout of information]
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 03:46:20 PM by rustybayonet »
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
Re: Presidential Facts
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 05:31:34 PM »
Thanks, Rusty.
I, for one, would like to see you continue

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 06:03:47 PM »
Brother – [half] Lawrence , became his father figure

Lawrence is actually the one who built Mt. Vernon. Washington inherited the property when Lawrence died. After inheriting the place, Washington expanded the house to what it is today.

Military – British Officer Commissioned a Lt. Col 1754 at one time four bullets went through his coat
                  and should have killed him, also 2 horses shot from beneath him later.  After the colonials
                  were blamed for the defeat by the French, he resigned his commission from the British
                 Army.

In his mind, it took way too long for his commission. The colonists had a lot tougher time advancing than Brits.
Another little tidbit: Colonists officers in the army designed and bought their own uniforms.

Wife – Martha Dandridge Custis a widow / Born 1731 – Died 1802 ---Married January 6, 1759

Washington was from a "poor" family but was well connected due to his military career. Martha was from a well established (LOADED) family which set Washington on the right track. Wise investments increased his wealth and landownership.

Edit: I forgot to mention Washington's adventures as a surveyor were a great asset to his military career. He was an excellent woodsman who knew how to live off the land and wasn't afraid of the challenges that came with the job.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 06:25:21 PM by AlanS »
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 11:27:07 PM »
Alan S - All your information is true.  My idea was to keep the history to just the time during his Presidency and some aspects of things leading to it.  If I were to enter all of the information of the first 43 presidents, it would take more time than this old fart has, since I am in my 4th year of studing the Bible indepth, for a Disciple coarse I'm taking.  Any additional points you can add are welcome at any time.  Thank You.
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 06:16:20 AM »
Sorry. I got carried away. I was reading a biography of Washington not too long ago.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 02:02:56 PM »
AlanS - Nothing to be sorry about.  I always welcome additional information.  Please, continue adding anuything you have - we all can benefit.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 07:11:13 PM »
I enjoy reading it all even if I don't comment on it.

AlanS, which biography on Washington did you recently read?
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 05:24:27 AM »

I don't remember right off hand. I've been through a couple books since then. I'll look it up when I get home next week and get back to you.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 06:42:10 AM »

I don't remember right off hand. I've been through a couple books since then. I'll look it up when I get home next week and get back to you.

I have these two...

http://www.amazon.com/His-Excellency-Washington-Joseph-Ellis/dp/1402544766/ref=zg_bs_916994_4/188-5529271-0687401

http://www.amazon.com/Washington-Life-Deckle-Edge-Hardcover/dp/B004658UUM/ref=zg_bs_916994_10/188-5529271-0687401

If there is a third that is good let me know!

I like history, eat it up like chocolate cake.

And if Rusty makes time to post anything I will certainly read it!   ::thumbsup::

PS-Did you know Mount Vernon was so named because of a British Admiral Lawrence served under and admired?  It rests generally on the spot where their fathers original house was and was exapnded upon, as was the entire estate, as Washington propsered, which he really did once marrying Matha as Alan mentioned, and he was one of the more renouned horsemen of his day which I find interesting being he was a big fella for his day...must have made some stallions groan a time or two!   ;D    More tidbits FWIW.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 06:50:51 AM by Libertas »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 08:23:46 AM »
A couple of other books;

Washington A Life --- by  -- Ron Chernow
The First of Men: A Life of George Washington --- by John Ferling
Being George Washington --- by Glenn Beck

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 09:43:48 AM »
A couple of other books;

Washington A Life --- by  -- Ron Chernow

I'm not positive, but that one rings a bell.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 09:49:16 AM »
John Adams -- 2nd President - 1797 - 1801        Nickname "The Atlas of Independence"

Born October 30, 1735 in Braintree [now Quincy] Mass.
Died July 4, 1826 in Quincy, MA   {one of 3 presidents to die on July 4th - one other was
                Jefferson one of his Nemesis}
Political Party --- Federalist
Education -- Harvard University {Latin} -- then Law School
Military --- None
Wife --- Abigail Smith 1744-1818    ----   Married October 25, 1764
            Children - 5     Abigail Amelia 1765-1813
                                  John Quincy  1767-1848
                                  Susanna  1768-1770
                                  Charles  1770-1799
                                  Thomas Boylston  1772-1832
Religion --- Congregationalist / Unitarian
Oath of Office --- Saturday March 4, 1797  Given in the House of Representatives, Federal Hall
                                                                 Philadelphia
Administered by ---- Chief Justice Oliver Ellsworth
Vice-President -- Thomas Jefferson

Cabinet

Vice-President                        Thomas Jefferson          1797-1801

Secretary of State                  Timothy Pickering          1797-1800
                                            John Marshall                1800-1801
Secretary of the Treasury        Oliver Wolcott Jr.         1797-1800
                                            Samuel Dexter              1800-1801
Secretary of War                    James McHenry             1797-1800
                                            Samuel Dexter              1800-1801
Attorney General                    Charles Lee                   1797-1801
Postmaster General                 Joseph Habersham        1797-1801
Secretary of the Navy              Benjamin Stoddert         1797-1801

Supreme Court Appointments  ---  Bushrod Washington - 1799
                                                   Alford Moor 1800
                                                   John Marshall 1801 [later Chief Justice]

States admitted to Union    ---   None

Salary --  $25,000.00

First President to occupy the White House in Washington DC, but got lost in the woods north of
             the city before arriving.
Was the great-great grandson of John and Priscilla Alden, Pilgrims who landed at
               Plymouth Rock in 1620
One of only two Presidents that signed the Declaration of Independence.
One of 3 Presidents that did not attend the inauguation of his successor. [ Feud with Jefferson
              {resolved in 1812}  and loss of son Charles during same time period]
One resolution he introduced and was seconded by Richard Henry -- "these colonies are, and of
              a right wought to be , free and independent states
:.
third longest living former President - 90 years/247 days [ Reagan 93 / Ford 93
His March 4, 17971 inaugural address contains a 727 wordlong sentence.
As VP he said to his wife " My country has in it's wisdom contrived for me the most insignificant
               office that ever inagination conceived
."

Memorable Legislation of the Adams Administration;
                 The Alien and Sedition Acts of 1798 -- Signed
                  The Judiciary Act of 1801 -- Signed

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 11:44:19 AM »
His defense of the Redcoats involved in the Boston Masacre "Facts are stubborn things" illustrated his commitment doing the right thing, even though it was not a popular thing to do.  And he nominated Washington as CiC of the Continental Army and was instrumental in creating the US Navy and there may not have been a DOI without him.  He fought like heck to get Washington what he needed to fight and while he was frustrated by Franklin in France in Holland though sick as a dog he did secure financing for the struggling Americans and he was the first Ambassador to our deposed ruler in England.  And he built up the Navy that his successor ironically railed against but greatly benefitted from when he had to deal with the Barbary Pirates. 

The McCullough book is really good, and the Adams-Jefferson letters is a must.

http://www.amazon.com/John-Adams-David-McCullough-ebook/dp/B000FC0QHA

http://www.amazon.com/Adams-Jefferson-Letters-Correspondence-Jefferson-Williamsburg-ebook/dp/B00LC80IOC/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1408380242&sr=1-1&keywords=adams+jefferson+letters

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 07:37:21 AM »
3rd President ---- Thomas Jefferson -- 1801-1809 -- Man of the People or Sage of Monticello

Born -- April 13, 1743 -- Shadwell Plantation, Goochland County, Virginia
Died -- July 4, 1826 -- Montecello, near Charlottesville Virginia
Political Party -- Democratic/Republican
Education -- William & Mary College, then Law with private tutors
Military -- None
Wife -- Martha Skelton, a widow [1748-1782]
Children -- 6  Jane Randolph [1774-1775] Infant son 1777 -- Lucy Elizabeth 1780-1781 --
Lucy Elizabeth -- 1782-1785
                [Needless to say there was controvercy - Jefferson kept a public silence on his
                  relationship with a slave girl, Sally Hemings. {A DNA study in 1998 and a
                  multidiscipinary 9 member panel in 2000 concluded,"it is very unlikely that any
                  Jefferson other than Thomas Jefferson was the father of Hemings 6 children".
                  Further studies have concluded that the DNA link between Thomas Jefferson
                  and Sally Hamings was valid}
].
Religion -- Raised Episcoalian, influenced by English Diests, held common beliefs with Unitarians
                  but had no formal affliation

Oath of Office -- 1st Term -- Wednesday March 4, 1801 in the partially built Capitol Building
                           Washington, DC -- administered by Chief Justice John Marshall
                         2nd Term -- Monday March 4, 1805 in the Senate Chamber of the Capitol Building
                             Washington DC -- administered by Chief Justice John Marshall
Vice-President -- 1st Term Aaron Burr 1801-1805
                         2nd Term George Clinton 1805-1809

Supreme Court Appointments;
                         William Johnson -- 1804
                          Henry Brockholst -- 1807
                          Thomas Todd -- 1807

States addmitted to the union -- Ohio 1803

Salary -- $25,000.00

Memorable Legislation;
              Land Act of 1804
              Twelfth [12] Amendment to the United States Constitution ratified 1804
              Embargo Act of 1807
              Outlawing the external slave trade 1808
              Commission of the Lewis and Clark expedition
              Completed the Louisiana Purchase

Along with John Adams, the only other President to have signed the Declaration of Independence.
He was the first President to shake hands instead of bowing.
His personal 6,000 books bacame the basis for the Library of Congress, purchased from him for
    $23,950.00
Wrote his own epitaph, without the mention of being President of the United States
Ate a tomato in public to prove it was not poisonous
Suggested the decimal system of money we use today
Wrote over 2,000 books
Had a lisp so only gave two speeches
Kept two bears on the south lawn of the White House, given to him by Lewis and Clark
and;  Future President Kennedy, said at a White House dinner for scholars, never in the
         White House history has so much intelligence been gathered since Thomas Jefferson dined
          alone.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 07:41:38 AM by rustybayonet »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 11:13:47 AM »
I would say he is clearly a Diest with no hostility toward Christianity or people professing belief or invoking the Creator in public, unlike democrats of today...

Shared a distrust of Papal influences as did all of the Founders, but did not fear the freedom of religion that God-haters bastardized into freedom from religion now days!