Author Topic: "Othering"  (Read 726 times)

Offline fporretto

• Newb
  • Long Island's crazy libertarian-conservative
    • Liberty's Torch
"Othering"
« on: August 31, 2014, 04:17:27 PM »
I was maundering over many a topic political, largely focused on the diverse devilry of special interest groups, when it all came together in a coherent whole (which is getting to be a fairly rare thing), so I wrote the following:

The Era Of The Otherer

Thoughts?
This post is programming you in undetectable ways.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: "Othering"
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 11:22:30 PM »
So the determined power-seeker must create an Us versus Them situation, so that his loyalists can work out with their own tiny brains at whom to aim. But this can be very difficult in a society that, for quite a long time, has promoted ideals of civility and harmony among persons who nevertheless vary widely. For example, explicitly blaming “the Jews” for your troubles, as Hitler did, can’t be made to work here, because it’s perfectly obvious that America’s Jews are agreeable neighbors and integral, valued components of its society. You’ll evoke far more enemies than you will supporters. Worse, your enemies will be far better motivated than your allegiants.

Recent developments in Public Choice economics have cast a better light upon the power-seeker’s dilemma. What he wants is to produce a situation in which his allegiants are far better motivated than persons outside their ranks. Moreover, it’s vital that he contrive to tie his contentions to some widely agreed-upon civic value, even if the binding is easily shown to be specious.

The solution is “obvious,” isn’t it? The power-seeker must “other” his own group: preferably as “oppressed” or “discriminated against.” He must persuade his followers to see themselves as victims, whatever the truth of the matter. He must animate them with the most powerful of all emotions yoked to political conflict: hatred and fear.

Brilliant?!?

Why the "?" qualifier?  Because Coulter kinda beat you to it. The "other" is used by the left as a shield. Lets use the minority woman as a shield!
They send them out as the aggressor  because they won't be shot at, and if they are, they can claim it was an attack. The power lies in Eric Hoffer's alibi:

There are many who find a good alibi far more attractive than an achievement. For an achievement does not settle anything permanently. We still have to prove our worth anew each day; we have to prove that we are as good today as we were yesterday. But when we have a valid alibi for not achieving anything we are fixed, so to speak, for life.”

The lie not only serves to silence the opposition, but to motivate the sheep. I can't accomplish anything, Whitey is keeping me down! The obvious conclusion? Kill Whitey. And if whitey defends himself? Well, he is racially motiviated. 

The terminus of the process is as “obvious” as the process itself. Once everyone is an “other,” no one is. More, the relentless “othering” wears cumulatively on the national psyche. As it devolves ever further, we learn to tune it out, to dismiss the contentions of the “otherers,” and to return our focus to our proper affairs. That’s a disaster in the making for persons whose drive is power, who naturally shift a part of their attention to struggling for internal cohesion and against the fractionation dynamic that threatens their positions.

You can see this playing out in the weakening of the "racist" card. Its a joke even  on college campus's now.  No matter how "other" you try to make yourself be, you are still relying upon your enemy (and his conscience- a liability a leftist doesn't have)  -  to give a f*ck.  If you are tired of the BS, you no longer play the game... and then they will  accuse you of being a "spoil sport" - of taking your ball and going home... but what other choice is left you when playing against a team where cheating is seen as virtue, the rules as something chumps follow, and a conscience as something to be cynically manipulated?

I've posted it before and I will again.

Don't be a Sucker.

Don't Be a Sucker - 1947

The "sucker game" is more advanced than it was in WWII, but its still the same game. Use the "other" to get people to vote for you and support you.  It doesn't matter how. Prejudice against prejudice is a virtue. (at least for now)
The "Other" is now the prejudiced  vs the non-prejudiced. Only now the "prejudiced" care about actual behavior instead of skin color and/or religion. So what?
In the end you belong to the "right thinking" leftard herd or you don't. Same as it ever was.
The left will eventually eat its own "other" classes one by one when there are no more outside threats.. but the more divided they can keep everyone the easier it is to manipulate those interests to advance their own agenda.

If only there were not an "era of the otherer"... but all eras are. The anomaly occurs when this isn't the case. "All right thinking people  hate jews.." is no different than "all right thinking people" hate those who are "intolerant"  ( Dirty rotten smoker!) You create the other, and you hate them, but What could be better than to show you the victims of the "other"?
Its the next logical step to what Hitler created - as long as can blame someone else for your problems, you can avoid blaming yourself. What will  happen if  you can get the "other" to agree?

The main point is the segmentation. Dividing. Everyone is "intolerant' of something. As long as it differs from what the leftards are intolerant of, you have a potential "other" - and they have used that to their best advantage.  I don't think this degenerates into a state were everyone is the other, and the tactic no longer works.  A given tactic ( racism)  may become meaningless, but they will make something else up - anything they can use - owning a gun, homeschooling, being a christian... all of these "otherings" are already underway.   You have a group who refuses to live and let live, and hence the OTHER is always anyone who doesn't live their way, have their values, or server their purposes.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 08:43:33 AM by Weisshaupt »

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 09:16:19 AM »
The power-seeker must “other” his own group: preferably as “oppressed” or “discriminated against.” He must persuade his followers to see themselves as victims, whatever the truth of the matter. He must animate them with the most powerful of all emotions yoked to political conflict: hatred and fear.

I am reminded of Hillary Clinton's debate in '07,  and her crew shrieking about the "threat" posed by Rick Lazio approaching her podium with a piece of paper.

We are women, hear us roar, except we're fragile flowers of a protected class.

Interesting, how in "othering" themselves, they've become the "oppressed" and the oppressors.

... they will make something else up - anything they can use - owning a gun, homeschooling, being a christian... all of these "otherings" are already underway.   You have a group who refuses to live and let live, and hence the OTHER is always anyone who doesn't live their way, have their values, or server their purposes.

True, but the solution is to NEVER cower, i.e. "Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 06:05:25 PM »
Perfect segway into your tagline Pan!   ::thumbsup::

Nothing is so intolerant than a lefty, so naturally I favor tormenting them rather than turning the other cheek!

::evilbat::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.