Author Topic: What? Now I gotta Argue with Conservatives?  (Read 1416 times)

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
What? Now I gotta Argue with Conservatives?
« on: September 02, 2014, 07:36:04 AM »
This past weekend, I was at my parents place (Dad 87, mom 82). One of dad's friends was there with his wife, who was an active member of the local Republican Party. Of course, we talk about current events and I was shocked that "Bill" wanted to argue that the Ferguson, MO cop who shot the "unarmed teen" eight times was guilty of using "excessive force." His argument was simple, really: Eights shots was too many.

I asked him ho many shots would qualify as "appropriate force." His answer, "Just a couple. Maybe one or two."

I replied, "what if your first two or three missed?"

All he wanted to argue was that eight was too many. I responded that the cop stopped when the threat was eliminated. By the one in the head and the one in Brown's eye, his final two shots. Again, all Bill could say was "eight shots is excessive force."

The only explanation I have for "Bill's" warped sense of proportion is that his family has probably voted Democrat for the last hundred years and he is only lately coming around to the party of reduced government spending.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 07:45:18 AM by BigAlSouth »
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
Re: What? Now I gotta Argue with Conservatives?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 07:46:50 AM »
Should have said that only one shot was needed in this case to stop the assault, the one to the head. The previous shots were just warning "red line" shots that the assailant continued to ignore until finally the head shot stopped him. ::rockets:: ::rockethrow::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 07:48:58 AM »
Sowell did an excellent job of covering this

Both sides have idiots.  I would argue that the lefts  proportion is higher than the right's, but they are everywhere.
Most people - even conservative ones - have been in the cultural sewage long enough that it no longer stinks to them. As such, they often have trouble telling BS from roses.

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 08:20:27 AM »
Sowell did an excellent job of covering this

Thanks, W. Just sent link to Dad so he could forward to his misguided friend.  ;)
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 11:58:36 AM »
Too many people believe in this Hollywood version of guns, where a single hit will throw people back off their feet -- and other nonsense.  Handguns are anemic stoppers in general, even when you do land hits.

People also confuse lethality with stopping power.  Sure, 1 or 2 hits would likely kill someone eventually, but the goal is to incapacitate them as rapidly as possible.  Defensive firearms training for both police and private citizens emphasizes firing until the threat stops.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 12:03:34 PM »
As I posted a while back the only thing I found odd was the cop letting this guy get that close to him...

Plus the training as Glock notes combined with the Adrenalin rush can conspire against lethal hits, get too amped up and bullets miss, thus more shots fired.

Now if it was 8 shots hitting...but we know from previous info what, only 3-4 actually hit and 1 was fatal?

Sowell is right to condemn the media too, they eff up everything from start to finish!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 12:11:59 PM »
Yeah, and the media are doing that effing totally on purpose.  It is absolutely unconscionable to show the man's home or other personal information about him, knowing that there is a mob braying for his blood.  It's a mob they created, and now they want to point it in this man's direction and say "Sic'em!" as they take off the leash.

They disgust me. Their whole "profession" is beneath contempt.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 07:16:13 AM »
Yeah, I need to get bumper stickers before the SHTF that say "I swerve to hit JurnoTards"  and "JurnoTards-No Bag Limit!".
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 04:36:40 PM »
Yeah, I need to get bumper stickers before the SHTF that say "I swerve to hit JurnoTards"  and "JurnoTards-No Bag Limit!".

I'll need at least 5 of each.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson