Author Topic: Catholic Bishops to Obama on health care diktat: Pound sand  (Read 6258 times)

charlesoakwood

Re: Catholic Bishops to Obama on health care diktat: Pound sand
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 11:40:13 AM »

I think it's time for the Pope to pay a visit to his highness and fix it in public once and for all.
!!

SEBELIUS DISRESPECTS CATHOLICISM

P.S. I just got back from Florida where I received the “Defender of the Faith Award” from Legatus, the group of Catholic CEO’s founded by Tom Monaghan. Never before have I seen Catholics as riled up as they are about this unprecedented assault on Catholic civil liberties. Stay tuned for further developments.

[The expected Eastwoood ad - And kick his skinny butt back to Chicago.]

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 04:24:26 PM »
First, I don't want this to sound as if I am disparaging Catholics.......I'm not. But this is what you get when religion allows liberals in leadership positions. You get this when you invite the o in, and don't think he will stab you in the back.

It's happening in all religions, not just the catholic faith. I despise Rick warren for the very same thing. There is no compromise of tenants of faith.....but it's happening in your church today. The social justice message is strong. It is being legitimized. I know more than one person who had no issue with obamas national prayer day twist of scripture.

IT IS WHAT THEY WERE TAUGHT. Thankfully, we have a leader who is stupid enough to step on the one tenant Catholics hold dear. I guess for this we should be thankful.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 04:37:45 PM »
It's what happens when one allows THE LEFT in; there's nothing "liberal" about them and they pervert everything they touch.

Ann Barnhardt had much to say about this regarding the Catholic Church:

http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,4707.0.html
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 08:25:01 PM »
It's what happens when one allows THE LEFT in; there's nothing "liberal" about them and they pervert everything they touch.

In Latin, the word for left is "sinister". Seems the Romans had lots of superstitions about "left" being associated with malevolence, hence their word for it (sinister) became better known by us today for this secondary meaning.

There are some things that are looking less and less like coincidence. "The Left" is for sure a force of malevolence. The more it shows its true colors, and the more it shows who and what it considers its enemies, the more I am inclined to acknowledge the symbolism.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 09:49:08 PM »
On that same sinister theme...

The Great One, El Rushbo -

“The Constitution doesn’t matter to the [Obama] regime. The regime is simply saying,’To hell with the Constitution. We’re gonna implement this regardless what the Constitution says!‘
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/02/rush-limbaugh-the-real-target-of-obamas-hhs-birth-control-mandate-is-the-constitution-video/

Yup!

We are at war with the sinister, and Obama is the ringleader!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 05:12:56 PM »
On that same sinister theme...

The Great One, El Rushbo -

“The Constitution doesn’t matter to the [Obama] regime. The regime is simply saying,’To hell with the Constitution. We’re gonna implement this regardless what the Constitution says!‘
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/02/rush-limbaugh-the-real-target-of-obamas-hhs-birth-control-mandate-is-the-constitution-video/

Yup!

He's the hand puppet! It's the ones we don't see that we need to worry about.Remember Beck talking about the "nudge" and then the "Push"to get us all in line.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 05:58:18 PM »

!

charlesoakwood

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2012, 11:50:32 PM »

Yup!

Michael Berry Says America Is In The Middle Of A Civil War

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, 12:00:56 PM »
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/02/mark-levin-slams-obama-on-hannity-video/

This isn’t about women. It’s not about contraception. This is about a president of the United States who has no respect for the Constitution, no respect for the First Amendment, and also has no respect for people of faith – and I’m not trying to be controversial, but there’s no balancing involved here.

I didn’t know we were having a problem getting contraceptives in this country. I mean they fund Planned Parenthood who hands out this stuff like candy. So there’s really no problem in this country with access. What he’s trying to do is break down that line between church and state in reverse and it’s contemptible!

Anybody remember when during a debate Stephanopolous asked Romney/Santorum about states banning contraceptives when nobody -- certainly not them -- was talking about contraceptives or birth control, leaving us scratching our heads, as in "where the hell did that come from"?

Well, now we know where it came from and why, and the focus is now on birth control and abortion, not the gawdamn mess he's made of the economy and not on him violating the 1st Amendment big time.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2012, 12:22:20 PM »
I did stumble upon that segment last night, I stopeed on that channel only because I saw Levin and wanted to know what he was up to.

He is dead on right.

Our constitution is being shredded again and getting people who should know better to stop it is maddingly difficult.

Rush has been nailing this theme all day too.

What...does...it...take?!?!?!

::gaah::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2012, 12:28:42 PM »
 ::laserkill::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2012, 12:32:13 PM »
Now there's some dumbass Black congresswoman out there proclaiming that pregnancy is a horrible risk to women's health and to their families.

She obviously is unaware that pregnancy is what MAKES FAMILIES, but nevermind that.

A certain segment of these pro-abort lunatics have been declaiming pregnancy as a treatable disease for decades.  Guess what the treatment is.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2012, 12:32:56 PM »
::laserkill::

Yeah, can't fix tyrannical fools, but we can reduce them to ashes.  I guess it is the only way this will end...because I sure as hell am not surrending to this trash!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2012, 12:35:28 PM »
Now there's some dumbass Black congresswoman out there proclaiming that pregnancy is a horrible risk to women's health and to their families.

She obviously is unaware that pregnancy is what MAKES FAMILIES, but nevermind that.

A certain segment of these pro-abort lunatics have been declaiming pregnancy as a treatable disease for decades.  Guess what the treatment is.

::cussing::  evil!

They got Obongo on the radio, playing that stupid clip about him saying the mandate for coverage is now on insurers', not the organization!  What a load of sh*t!  Who PAYS the bills fothermucker Obama?!  The people you are forcing to accept this encroachment!  Eff them all, keep fighting these jackasses!

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2012, 12:43:00 PM »
I remember 20 years ago hearing pregnant women referred to as "parasitically oppressed" by the feminists. This was in the early phases of Political Correctness. You hear some things that are just so asinine, yet hostile, and 20 years on you can only wonder in amazement that it was not only laughed out of the room but is in fact running the table on us. Why? I think that Michael Berry clip above has the answer. Because people are always too afraid of saying something because of what they think they might lose (a grade, a job, a client, blah blah).
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2012, 12:47:03 PM »

::cussing::  evil!

They got Obongo on the radio, playing that stupid clip about him saying the mandate for coverage is now on insurers', not the organization!  What a load of sh*t!  Who PAYS the bills fothermucker Obama?!  The people you are forcing to accept this encroachment!  Eff them all, keep fighting these jackasses!

Yep, heard him braying his jackassery.  So, the insurance companies will have to pay for the "free" stuff; guess where that money will come from?  Why, it will come from people like me and Gunsmith, who already have to pay for "maternity benefits" as a NC state-mandated inclusion in all medical plans.

Rush has been on fire about this since Noon.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2012, 12:50:39 PM »
Now, there's this, from Elizabeth Scalia, aka The Anchoress ...

From Jake Tapper at ABC News, Obama to Announce Contraception Rule ‘Accommodation’ for Religious Organizations:

With the White House under fire for its new rule requiring employers including religious organizations to offer health insurance that fully covers birth control coverage, at 12:15 p.m. ET, President Obama will announce an attempt to accommodate these religious groups.

The move, based on state models, will almost certainly not satisfy bishops and other religious leaders since it will preserve the goal of women employees having their birth control fully covered by health insurance.

Sources say it will be respectful of religious beliefs but will not back off from that goal, which many religious leaders oppose since birth control is in violation of their religious beliefs.

One source familiar with the decision described the accommodation as “Hawaii-plus,” insisting that it’s better than the Hawaii plan — for both sides.

If memory serves, the Obama team were advised to use the Hawaii plan as some sort of model by which to exempt the churches ‘way back in October of last year. It was rejected, then.

Glenn Reynolds, noting the headline, writes:

My advice to the bishops: He’s on the run — don’t settle for his opening bid.

I agree with “don’t settle for the opening bid” but am not sure I agree that he is on the run.

Take no first offers, and I’m not sure about second offers, either. The thing is, no matter what Obama says, he has proved himself to be untrustworthy where the rights of the churches are concerned.

The fact that this episode ever developed at all, when it absolutely did not need to, and the fact of Hosanna-Tabor, suggests to me that this administration will continue to assault the rights of churches to be who and what they are, and to freely exercise their religion beyond the doors of the church. Freedom of Religion does not limit us to the confines of the church, but Obama’s stated commitment to “Freedom of Worship” absolutely does; “Freedom of Worship” is a mischaracterization of what the constitution says.

I expect President Obama will come out and say something that sounds wonderful and conciliatory and that seems reasonable to people who are eager to reconcile with the president and give themselves permission to vote for him again in November. I also expect that beyond the words, what the President offers will be too little — the government miserly granting to us pieces of freedom we are utterly entitled to own outright — but it will be “enough” for some.

And with that, Obama will have done the thing he needs to do, here, which is re-divide the Catholics who have apparently surprised him with their nearly unanimous condemnation of his HHS Mandate.

Re-divide and conquer. If he can get the Catholics who have loved and trusted him until now back under his wing, the bishops and the rest of the Catholics go back to being “reactionary neanderthals” who are simply too stubborn to give in to his benevolence.

If that’s what happens — if Obama comes out and throws a sop to the Catholics he has recently stabbed in the back, and they jump at the chance to reboard his ship — then everything immediately gets much, much uglier, everywhere.

But the thing to remember is this: Obama has now demonstrated that he cannot be trusted to deal in good faith with the churches. Even if he gives a “full exemption”, one needs to worry whether he can be trusted if he wins re-election, and is no longer constrained by the need to please anyone.

Then, I suspect Brad Miner’s Facebrook remarks from yesterday will be proved right. He wrote:

I expect the president to back down — to offer full exemptions to religious organizations. Then, if he wins reelection, we will get a screwing the like of which Catholicism hasn’t seen since the 16th century.

Remember Lucy and the football

UPDATED: My friend Thomas L. McDonald, on Facebook with the WH Fact Sheet:

I just got the WH press briefing. Money line:

“The policy also ensures that if a woman works for religious employers with objections to providing contraceptive services as part of its health plan, the religious employer will not be required to provide contraception coverage, but her insurance company will be required to offer contraceptive care free of charge.”

Meaningless.

Well, Ed Morrissey spells that out:

“. . .so the administration response will be tell insurers for religious organizations to take on the costs themselves without passing it along to the religious organizations that pay for the policies? I’m not sure that even Chris Matthews will buy that as a “compromise.” Religious organizations whose doctrines oppose birth control are not going to buy insurance policies that cover it — nor should the government be forcing them to do so.

This is not a “direct” co-operation with evil, but an “indirect” one, and now we’ll have to go to Aquinas (I think? I need to brush up) but I’m pretty sure it was Aquinas who reasoned that an “indirect” co-operation with evil was sometimes unavoidable in the world.

I expect it will be “enough” for those whose worldview was shaken over the past week and who want and need to be back on Obama’s side, where it all makes sense again. Their concerns having been “accommodated”, they’ll start offering much deeper theological musing than I can between direct and indirect co-operation with evil, and for most things will become very muddled, and everyone else will go back to watching American Idol.

Missing in their musings, I fear, will be the basic, fundamental truth that — “accommodated” in this way or not — the government does not give us our rights, piecemeal; they come from God.

An “accommodation” that puts us in “indirect” co-operation with evil when our rights say we ought not be forced into any co-operation, direct or not, is a game. It’s the football; it is the willful division.

UPDATE II: And yes, as I suspected, the Catholic Health Association is “very pleased” and back on board the bus, after having been so deftly thrown under it. As he did during the Obamacare debate, the Obama team is once again using a sister to soften the breakers and give the progressive imprimatur:

The Catholic Health Association is very pleased with the White House announcement that a resolution has been reached that protects the religious liberty and conscience rights of Catholic institutions. The framework developed has responded to the issues we identified that needed to be fixed.

We are pleased and grateful that the religious liberty and conscience protection needs of so many ministries that serve our country were appreciated enough that an early resolution of this issue was accomplished. The unity of Catholic organizations in addressing this concern was a sign of its importance.

Planned Parenthood, by the way is also very pleased.

That really tells me what this “accommodation” is worth.

And the narrative now becomes: “look at what a great conciliator Obama is, and how obnoxious these church-hardliners are.”

People get played, every day. No one is asking, “why did this president have to make this “accommodation” at all? If he was committed to religious liberty, this controversy would never have occurred at all.

Still waiting for the response of the Bishops, who are now finding themselves squeezed between the bus and the press.

UPDATE III:
Kathryn Jean Lopez: The folks who gave us Obamacare are back

The Obama administration strategy is consistently to confuse people. That is how the bill we had to pass to find out what was in it came to be law.
    [...]
    There will be a lot of confusion. But don’t be confused, and don’t let people around you be confused. These last days have been instructive [. . .] This new mandate moves us closer to what Pope Benedict XVI warned against in his first encyclical, Deus Caritas Est (“God is Love”): “The state which would provide everything, absorbing everything into itself . . [is]. a state which regulates and controls everything.”

Religious liberty is not an “accommodation.” This fight is not over today. It has only just begun.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2012, 01:00:58 PM »
"My advice to the bishops: He’s on the run — don’t settle for his opening bid."

This is when you stomp the living sh*t out of him!  No compromise, no surrender, full steam ahead!!!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2012, 01:04:32 PM »

This is when you stomp the living sh*t out of him!  No compromise, no surrender, full steam ahead!!!

Wouldn't I love to see it, but I suspect they're going to cave.  And I suspect that because absolutely no one will stand up to this guy, nevermind stomp him.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2012, 01:08:30 PM »

Wouldn't I love to see it, but I suspect they're going to cave.  And I suspect that because absolutely no one will stand up to this guy, nevermind stomp him.

They should have their boot twisting on the neck like its putting out a cigarette butt!