Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 229175 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #660 on: January 25, 2015, 01:37:43 AM »
We took the little one to see that a couple weeks ago. I concur. It was definitely in the bottom 5 of all movies I've ever seen. Maybe even the very worst, but when movies are that terrible, it's hard to see the suck clearly enough to place the suckage on a scale.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #661 on: January 25, 2015, 09:02:32 AM »
We started to go see "Into The Woods" last night with our youngest son and his g/f. Opted to see "Taken III", even though I swore I would never give Liam Neeson a nickle of my money.

It wasn't that great of a movie.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #662 on: January 25, 2015, 09:07:00 AM »
We started to go see "Into The Woods" last night with our youngest son and his g/f. Opted to see "Taken III", even though I swore I would never give Liam Neeson a nickle of my money.

It wasn't that great of a movie.

At least Liam Neeson doesn't make you want to burn your eyes out with hot pokers like "Into the Woods". You dodged a bullet my friend.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #663 on: January 25, 2015, 09:14:28 AM »
My thought process in the first two minutes of "Into the Woods" was funny.

I've always HATED musicals with a passion. I can't describe how badly. Then I saw "Les Miserables" with Hugh Jackman, Russell Crow, and Anne Hathaway. It was one of the best movies I've ever seen (Even though I had to watch it with subtitles to catch the sung dialogue).

We went to "Into the Woods" without a clue that it was a musical. I just had no idea. The trailers didn't emphasize it. In fact, I remember seeing trailers, and I don't remember singing at all.

So when it opened with singing, and they kept singing, and didn't stop singing, I thought to myself, "Oh, it's a musical. Maybe it'll be good like Les Miserables." Within that first two minutes, I realized that I was in for two hours of torture. I was quickly back to hating musicals again.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #664 on: January 25, 2015, 10:54:23 AM »
The Kids and I finished Full Metal Alchemist last night -  As a story its one of the best 10 -- there is this huge cast of characters, and you will be invested in them ALL. 

After hearing everyone's experiences at the theaters this weekend, I am still happy I opted to stay home and use the home theater ( which by the way is becoming more affordable all of the time.. My projector is now available with 92 inch fixed screen for $1200 for the complete package.
and its a great machine.. Outlaw Audio  is offering a combo price on the 975 preamp with model 5000 amp (5X125 watts)  of $1000  and  you get get very good DYI speaker kits for bookshelfs for $140 a pair.  and then get a decent sub for around $350.

Though I still can't recommend the ones I built highly enough (Around $1400 in parts for center and mains and free advice  from me  ::cool:: . Its more work because you can't just get a knock down kit, but  it is soo worth it  )

But that basically means you can have an in home experience I guarantee you will enjoy more than any $40-45  Movie night at a local theater. Nobody talking, no driving, no expensive concessions, a pause button for bathroom breaks and   and your family cuddled on your own comfortable couch under a blanket. ..    for well under $3000 - even if you have none of the equipment right now.  Much less if you already have a sound system you are happy with. 

Just for grins I threw Full Metal up on the 42 inch LCD for the kids and asked them if we should have watched it that way..  It looked so small after watching 32 hours of it on the big screen.  You just don't have any idea how much it really changes the experience till you have one.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 11:11:50 AM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #665 on: January 25, 2015, 11:59:55 AM »
Wow, thanks for the warning on "Into the Woodshed".

Trap, what did your kids think of it? Excellent review BTW...

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #666 on: January 25, 2015, 12:10:26 PM »

My 10 year old daughter didn't even like it.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #667 on: January 26, 2015, 01:27:46 AM »

mrs. trapeze and I kept our mouths shut after the movie because on the extreme off chance that perhaps the two girls liked it we did not want to influence them. The giveaway, though, was that neither one of them said a single thing about it on the way home. Usually, if they see a movie which they like (even a little bit) they will make comments about this scene or that but not this time. Not even a Johnny Depp comment which is extremely unusual since my daughter was nuts for him in the "Pirates of the Caribbean" franchise. We had a long drive home and not a word about the movie was said. Not one word.

And I don't hate musicals. I don't care for most of them but there are a few that I really like. Perhaps my all time favorite is "My Fair Lady" which is odd since I usually can't stand Rex Harrison. Maybe it was because he had Audrey Hepburn opposite him or maybe he was actually very good in it...don't know but I really like that movie. On the big screen with good sound it is great.

I mostly liked "West Side Story" and "Mary Poppins" was very well done. "The Sound of Music" would also be on my list of tolerable musicals although I've seen it too many times now in various broadcast tv venues. On the slightly bizarre/goofy side of things, I really enjoyed "Little Shop of Horrors." Also of the bizarre nature and occasionally good was "Phantom of the Paradise." (I recently saw the 2004 film version of "The Phantom of the Opera" and couldn't figure out why it was such a big broadway hit.)

On the other side of the spectrum you would find me in utter revulsion at having to endure the musical stylings of Clint Eastwood in "Paint Your Wagon" or (far worse if that's possible and yes, yes it is) Pierce Brosnan in "Mamma Mia."

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:16:39 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #668 on: January 26, 2015, 07:37:00 AM »
Took my father to see American Sniper yesterday, it was nice to watch a good well-acted movie without any Hollywood leftist BS and in a quiet theater from start to finish.  My father choked up at several points, the biggest punch in the gut for me was the stamping of the tridents on caskets.

Movie pretty much followed the book, some things being slightly different.   The opening scene in real life did not have the kid.  The long distance shot was on a regular RPG-toting scumbag, and while he was called The Legend by his teammates, the jihadis called him “The Devil of Ramadi”, I don’t recall the latter in the movie, maybe it was there and I missed it, but he did have bounties on his head, and the 160 kills is a low number…160 confirmed (witnessed) is the official number, the real number being just under  300.  He did like The Punisher symbol (skull) and had it on it ball cap, tattooed a crusader cross on his arm.

Other things are composites, a typical device to portray many things that are real into a shorter time-frame.  Mustafa the jihadi sniper did exist, but somebody else (not sure) got him, because the deaths by enemy sniper ended.   The Butcher character did not exist in real life, though the many atrocities committed by the savages did occur, and retribution on civilians cooperating with the American’s was severe.
Anyway, there is nothing in the book that mischaracterizes the man or the story one bit.  Everyone should see it and get a small glimpse into what the warrior elite life is like.

Chris, and certainly Taya and the kids, did not deserve to be separated from each other by a disturbed young man, but he was trying to help other Vets the only way he knew how and in the process was helping himself, and he did help a lot of people, it just sucks he had to go that way.

But, just think of how many lives he saved here and there?!

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #669 on: January 26, 2015, 08:52:42 AM »
My folks loved "Paint Your Wagon" so it got prominent airplay at home. I didn't really mind it - beyond the embarrassment of Eastwood trying to sing. I thought Lee Marvin attempting to sing was deliciously absurd!

As for the genre, I tend to shy away from musicals, no matter what the theme or meme. Not my cup o tea.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #670 on: January 26, 2015, 11:35:45 AM »
The more the fat libiot prog propagandist goes after Eastwood, American Sniper and liberty-loving American's the more attention Eastwood gets, the more money the movie makes and the more American's want to shove this fat turds stupid face into a puddle until the bubbles stop.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2015/01/far-left-icon-michael-moore-pours-gas-on-fire-bashes-clint-eastwood-chris-kyle-again/

Keep it up, buttface...you're only hurting yourself and your ilk!!!

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #671 on: January 31, 2015, 10:10:26 AM »
Went to see "American Sniper" last Monday - great movie.  Ordered the book from Amazon, be here about Feb. 3 - also pre-ordered the DVD before release estimated April 3rd to 6th delivery.  Both wife and daughter, neither of which are fans of military movies, loved it and said they would see it again.
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #672 on: February 02, 2015, 12:22:45 AM »
Saw two movies this weekend on pay-per-view.

First up was my choice which was "The Equalizer" with Denzel Washington in the lead. It was ultra violent and loaded with profanity (from the bad guys) and very mature subject matter (the bad guys ran, among other things, a prostitution ring). The movie was mostly what I thought it would be and was very entertaining...totally held my interest all the way through. It was funny because after it was over I commented to mrs. trapeze how it was not unlike the tv series and she revealed that she had no idea the film was based on a tv show. But she enjoyed it as well which puts it into the rare category of action/adventure shows that she likes.

mrs. trapeze selected the second movie (which I wanted to see anyway so it was a win/win for me) which was "The Judge" with Robert Downey Jr. and Robert Duvall. Stellar performances by all and a decent (although not remarkable) story and script. I am not going to provide a synopsis because you can find it elsewhere but both of these movies are ones that you will not be pissed off at for having wasted your time. Not great movies (those are rare) but good movies, nonetheless.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #673 on: February 02, 2015, 07:27:08 AM »
Speaking of Clint Eastwood and musicals, you could do worse than Jersey Boys, the story of Frankie Avalon and the Four Seasons.

The Judge was a preview on the above DVD.  Definitely looked worth checking out.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #674 on: February 02, 2015, 10:18:50 AM »
Speaking of Clint Eastwood and musicals, you could do worse than Jersey Boys, the story of Frankie Avalon and the Four Seasons.

The Judge was a preview on the above DVD.  Definitely looked worth checking out.

A musical where the subject of the movie is music and musicians isn't really a musical, at least in my mind. To me, a musical is a movie where all the characters sing and/or dance for no reason, and all innately know the lyrics to the songs and the complex dance steps.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #675 on: February 02, 2015, 11:12:04 AM »
Adaptive Curmudgeon recommended "The Man in the High Castle" based on Phillip K. Dick's story - Amazon is looking at funding this for an entire season.. and you should go and watch it, take the survey and vote for them to do that because

Remember that one night you drank too much tequila and were absolutely certain that it made perfect sense to drunk dial your ex and then set your pants on fire? Philip K. Dick understands that moment. His moment is the time when it all fits together and it’s logical and right to do precisely this thing to which you’ve set your mind, and all the people telling you to put down the matches, they’re the fools! If only they would just listen to you it they’d understand too and then you’d all set your pants on fire together and it would fix everything. That’s Philip K. Dick’s natural state.

Philip K. Dick is going on the trip with or without you. In his best works the reader gets to come along. In his lesser works you’re halfway through the book and still haven’t figured out whether the main character is or is not dead (see Ubik).

Is he that good? Yes, excellent! Is he that bad? Absolutely, terribly bad! Is he confusing? Usually, in fact when it makes sense is when you’ve really lost it.

Lucky for us, Philip K. Dick was a prolific author. Even so I try to pace my reading of his stuff because the dude’s dead and when I’ve read the last Philip K. Dick book… then what? Also, if you binge read too much Philip K. Dick you’ll wind up spaced out and floating.

The pilot was really good.  Its free to watch, and the season will be free to Amazon Prime users if its produced ( and I am sure everyone else can do a pay per view-- but $100 a year for music streaming, a large Netflix-like video streaming library and two day shipping on every order has been very worth it to me.)

So go add your vote or Amazon will produce something those idiot masses want to see and quite frankly there is enough programming for the idiot masses to watch already. (I saw women and men ( I think) in wedding dresses running a race through mud the other day as I was setting up the Network so I could watch Amazon Prime on my TeeVEE..  so see the masses  can watch that..)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #676 on: February 02, 2015, 11:49:39 AM »
I was going to ask about the Amazon TV sticks...as I understand it there is like a basic version and a full version...the full version probably has more than I need, but either way I think there is some stuff (netflix) that require subscriptions and other things that don't...I don't know the full breakdown of what is/is not free or what they all contain (not sure if there is an explanation in detail either, and the young kids at the store are no help!) but I would be interested in doing something through the internet and start disconnecting in part or in whole from the bloody cable!

Sorry to go O/T, curious what others may know/do.   ;)

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #677 on: February 02, 2015, 01:53:43 PM »

A musical where the subject of the movie is music and musicians isn't really a musical, at least in my mind. To me, a musical is a movie where all the characters sing and/or dance for no reason, and all innately know the lyrics to the songs and the complex dance steps.

You mean at the the end, with Christopher Walken joining the rest of the cast in a complex dance, for no reason, doesn't count?

::bustamove::

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #678 on: February 02, 2015, 02:27:56 PM »
I was going to ask about the Amazon TV sticks...

"Hello, pants"
Gary Busey tells you all you need to know

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #679 on: February 02, 2015, 03:23:43 PM »

You mean at the the end, with Christopher Walken joining the rest of the cast in a complex dance, for no reason, doesn't count?

::bustamove::

LOL, I haven't seen "Jersey Boys". Is it a musical? I assumed it was more like a biopic.

- Thomas Jefferson