Author Topic: "Obama's Energy Lunacy" and more  (Read 2998 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
"Obama's Energy Lunacy" and more
« on: April 21, 2011, 01:57:59 PM »
It's only lunacy to the uninitiated.

In a March 30 speech in Washington, Mr. Obama announced his mandate that 100% of the federal vehicle fleet be “advanced technology” vehicles by 2015. This means that every vehicle in the federal fleet — some 600,000 currently — will have to be a hybrid or electric vehicle. In an extraordinary coincidence of the kind so common during the Age of Obama, General Electric — headed by Jeffrey Immelt, the chief of the president’s Council on Jobs and Competitiveness — will contribute to the brave new “advanced technology” future by buying at least 12,000 Chevy Volts.

I’ve been following the dim fortunes of the Chevy Volt for some time (here, here, here, here, and here). The Volt is an electric pseudo-hybrid compact with a $41,000 manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) — currently selling for as much as $65,000. To “incentivize” the Volt, the Obama administration is providing a $7,500 tax rebate for each sale, a tax rebate it is planning to turn into a direct, point-of-sale rebate in the near future. After all, cash for clunkers was so economically stimulating, this gesture should make Volt sales explode. (Considering the tendency of lithium-ion batteries to do, more or less, just that, this may not be the most encouraging analogy.)

The Volt’s abysmal all-electric range is supplemented by a weak gasoline engine that requires premium fuel. Charging requires up to 12 hours, but may be halved for an additional $2,000 (installation costs not included) for a special 220V home “fast charger.” Depending on the kind and quality of home wiring, installation costs may be daunting. The charger draws so many amps that considerable rewiring may be required, and proud Volt owners may not be able to use any other high-amp appliances (vacuum cleaners, microwave ovens) while their Volt is charging. Remember that the Volt’s only potential claim to real-world practicality — apart from green street cred — is its high-tech electric drive system which promises unlimited gasoline-free miles. Consider that there is no actual charging infrastructure out there in the real world — not that this will matter in parts of the country that experience actual winter. Cold has the unfortunate effect of rapidly draining and even disabling batteries.

Volt sales volume is abysmal, and while GM won’t admit it, even at $41,000 MSRP it is almost certainly losing money on every car. In a genuinely free market, this should not be surprising. After all, for something between $33,500 and $57,500 (that’s minus the $7500 tax rebate), plus more than $2,000 for a charger (installation not included), anyone can be the proud owner of a car that will likely get no better mileage than many conventional vehicles which cost tens of thousands of dollars less. Who could resist that siren song? As it turns out, just about everyone.

Who do you suppose is supplying the chargers?  Why, that would be GE.  What a coinky-dink!

Let's recap: artificially-created market?  Check.

Crony-"capitalism" on two fronts, GM and GE?  Check, check.

What's not to like; it's a win/win for .... well, not quite everybody.  The taxpayer will be footing the car-bill in inflated prices for Volts for aaaaaallll those gummint employees, not to mention to GE for the chargers and to whatever power company is still allowed to provide electricity (including whatever % from "green" technology per mandate).

Then, because ... well, gee whiz, I don't know, another coinky-dink of timing, we are witness to this, courtesy of bonz:

"Obama to Sell GM Stock at Huge Loss to Taxpayers"; huge in the amount of $11 Billion.  A billion here, a billion there; pretty soon it starts to add up to real money, dunnit?

Government officials are willing to take the loss because the Obama administration would like to sever its last ties to the auto maker, the people familiar with the matter said. A summer sale makes it more likely Treasury could sell all of its stake in GM by year's end, avoiding a potentially controversial sale in the 2012 presidential election year.  [Italics added]

We are still on the hook for repaying that $11 Billion, plus the interest.

But Paul Ryan and the Republicans are looking to "balance the budget and cut the deficit on the backs of the poor".
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: "Obama's Energy Lunacy" and more
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 02:05:13 PM »
I don't much care to live in a fools paradise.

Stupid people make me want to do mean things!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 02:06:14 PM »
Now I hear Obama say, on a "news" clip:

"If we keep spending more than we take in, it's going to damage our country .... ".

If?  IF??!  "WE"?!  "GOING TO"??!

Every day.  Just keeps getting better and better ........
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 02:14:45 PM »
I'm thinking of many mean things!!!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 07:35:16 PM »
"In an extraordinary coincidence of the kind so common during the Age of Obama"

Too many of these I'd say.

And then in 5 years or so when all those cars need to be junked we the taxpayers will be buying more cars.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 08:38:47 PM »

How much longer?  Six more years?  We won't make it.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 09:08:11 PM »

How much longer?  Six more years?  We won't make it.

No.  We won't.  Not even a year.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 09:37:49 PM »
I've been thinking about buying another website. Something like "removeobamanow.com". Make the case that impeachment is an option that is too slow and too partisan, and that the American people need to take matters into their own hands.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 10:01:38 PM »

Ahhh, wouldn't that be an extra-judicial procedure?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »

Ahhh, wouldn't that be an extra-judicial procedure?

Yes.  And?

Make a list yourself.  For cross-referencing.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 10:32:57 PM »
Something along the lines of a

WHEREAS
WHEREAS
WHEREAS

document? I'm seeing a lot of surprisingly contemporary inspiration in the DoI these days.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 10:35:06 PM »
I'm seeing a lot of surprisingly contemporary inspiration in the DoI these days.

me too
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 07:27:33 AM »
Now I hear Obama say, on a "news" clip:

"If we keep spending more than we take in, it's going to damage our country .... ".

If?  IF??!  "WE"?!  "GOING TO"??!

Every day.  Just keeps getting better and better ........

Here's another one :

"Stick with me , kid , and you'll be wearing horse turds the size of diamonds !"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 10:29:03 AM »
I don't much care to live in a fools paradise.

Stupid people make me want to do mean things!

Now that's a human right I can get behind.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline sablegsd

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 04:23:21 PM »
I'm thinking of many mean things!!!

Me too! 

::pokeineye::   ::slapfight::   ::cussing::   ::rockets::   ::laserkill::   ::guillotine::