Author Topic: BITCOIN  (Read 7165 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: BITCOIN
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2014, 01:04:47 PM »

I think what you are seeing now is as good a price as you will get in your lifetime. Silver is not going to return to $3 and Gold is not going to return to $200  because of the $ sign  in front.   In the end you will probably be able to purchase $3 and $200 worth  of goods with them ( in pricing relative to that era)  but if you plan on buying them with Fiat, the artificial suppression of the price going on right now is your best chance. 

Well, that's sort of why I have never really been impressed with gold (or silver) as an investment. It seems to be a good hedge against inflation, though. It seems to be able to purchase about the same value in goods and service today as it did a hundred  years ago. So...won't make you wealthy but perhaps a good place to dump excess money rather than keep it in cash.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2014, 02:25:51 PM »

Well, that's sort of why I have never really been impressed with gold (or silver) as an investment. It seems to be a good hedge against inflation, though. It seems to be able to purchase about the same value in goods and service today as it did a hundred  years ago. So...won't make you wealthy but perhaps a good place to dump excess money rather than keep it in cash.

Well, that is pretty much the definition of solid money - it should buy in a hundred years what it bought 100 years ago.  If Bitcoin ( or anything else)  becomes a stable currency  then  pretty much the same thing would be said of it.  In the ideal case,  the money supply should expand only commensurate to the total  expansion of value created..

So no gold  not an "investment"  in that I would NOT expect to be any  more wealthy  in 10 years than I was today as far as real purchasing power goes..  and I would park such capital as you cannot spend in it.. but we have found out there is an awful lot   to buy.  We basically took our "emergency reserve" - the money I kept on hand for job loss basically, and converted it to gold and silver ( and then lost it in the lake)  back when silver was at $8 and Gold at $600. - and if you look at inflation being around 8% over that time, you would expect the price to about double.. and oh look, it did.  So yes that is working as expected.  However we still have significant amounts ( much larger than the reserve I mentioned) still sitting in fiat at the banks.  This month we actually might reach the credit limit on my credit card we are buying  so much stuff that is not shiny. ...

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2014, 12:22:30 PM »
Heard of bitcoin mining...bitcoin poaching though, that's new.

http://gizmodo.com/somebody-hacked-into-silk-road-2-and-stole-all-the-bitc-1522447611

"transaction malleability"

Quick!  This person is ready for high-profile Federal Reserve or a large Money-center banking position immediately!!!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2014, 10:05:41 PM »
I said repeatedly that this was a scam.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2014, 09:48:18 AM »
I said repeatedly that this was a scam.
No more and no less than the Federal Reserve System is.

Its software and networks.  This crap is going to happen - its an inherent vulnerability- as the nvalue goes up the number of smart people looking for ways to subvert they system goes up.  If you have access to a quantum computer ( and I am betting the folks at NSA do)  then its almost trivial to take something liek this down.  And they will fix the vulnerability and another will be found - and so on till computing power gets to the point where mining is trivial..  and a new cryptography is required. and so on.

The Fed has a vulnerability too. Its called people, and its far more difficult to correct and control. 

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2014, 07:43:39 AM »
I agree, W. I just never trusted the bitcoin since it's inception.

The FED is another ball of worms.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2014, 10:18:32 AM »
I am not against it per se, anything that gives fiat competition is a good thing, but it is always at risk of being gamed by the same people gaming fiat.  I prefer shiny stuff that is easily lost at sea and other tangible goods.

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2014, 09:06:11 AM »
Mt. Gox Disappears

So what happens when the servers that mined your bit coin in the first place go away? Oops.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2014, 11:34:33 AM »
Who absconded with the fiat?  Karpeles?  Friends of Karpeles?  A former employee?  Outside person/group?

A document circulating on the Internet purporting to be a crisis plan for Mt. Gox, said more than 744,000 bitcoins were "missing due to malleability-related theft", and noted Mt. Gox had $174 million in liabilities against $32.75 million in assets. It was not possible to verify the document or the exchange's financial situation.

Uhh huh.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2014, 09:29:09 AM »

Just sayin'

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2014, 11:24:01 AM »
Wow.  Nice...umm...balloons.   ::thumbsup::

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
BITCOIN Firm CEO Found DEAD: Apparent suicide
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2014, 10:57:05 PM »
Bitcoin firm CEO found dead in suspected suicide

It appears bitcoin’s recent turmoil has claimed its first life.

Autumn Ratke a 28-year-old American CEO of bitcoin exchange firm First Meta was found dead in her Singapore apartment on Feb. 28.

Local media are calling it a suicide, but Singapore officials are waiting for toxicology test results. Ratke formerly worked with Apple and other Silicon Valley tech firms on developing digital payment systems.

Ratke’s death brings the number of questionable financial sector deaths this year to eight. On Feb. 18 a 33-year-old JPMorgan finance pro leaped to his death the roof of the JPMorgan’s 30-story Hong Kong office tower.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: BITCOIN Firm CEO Found DEAD: Apparent suicide
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2014, 11:19:54 PM »
Bitcoin firm CEO found dead in suspected suicide

It appears bitcoin’s recent turmoil has claimed its first life.

Autumn Ratke a 28-year-old American CEO of bitcoin exchange firm First Meta was found dead in her Singapore apartment on Feb. 28.

Local media are calling it a suicide, but Singapore officials are waiting for toxicology test results. Ratke formerly worked with Apple and other Silicon Valley tech firms on developing digital payment systems.

Ratke’s death brings the number of questionable financial sector deaths this year to eight. On Feb. 18 a 33-year-old JPMorgan finance pro leaped to his death the roof of the JPMorgan’s 30-story Hong Kong office tower.

This links up to here http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php?topic=10459.0 do you think?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2014, 07:38:23 AM »
The Tax Man cometh for thy Bitcoins!

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-03-26/irs-slams-bitcoin-retroactive-tax-rules-gold-next

First currency wannabe's, later gold & silver?

Catch me if you can!

(Hope you IRS goons can scuba!)

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2014, 08:43:13 AM »
The Tax Man cometh for thy Bitcoins!

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-03-26/irs-slams-bitcoin-retroactive-tax-rules-gold-next

First currency wannabe's, later gold & silver?

Catch me if you can!

(Hope you IRS goons can scuba!)

I call BS.. Applying Capital income rules to bitcoin as an investment seems unsurprising.  I always assumed that such would apply if you followed the rules.
Gold and Silver are not only taxed as capital gains, but as "collectibles"  - at 30%  on your gain.  The thing is the govt can't tax you on it if they don't know about it.  If your bitcoin firm doesn't  send the IRS forms reporting your gains, as a stock broker would,  then the IRS would need to audit you to find out.  And how would they ever find out you mined some bitcoin?

Same with Gold.. if your gold dealer doesn't report your sale ( which was really what that gold  provision in Obamacare was about) then they don't know about that either.  You sell for cash  or barter and they don't know squat, and since the IRS isn't following the rules and has become a draconian punishment wing of the fascist Obama administration,  the honor system is breaking down and people aren't voluntarily following the rules anymore, but I don't think these rules are "new"

But my take on Gold or Bitcoin is they are hedges against dollar  inflation. You buy and then you don't sell. When gold was near $2000 and silver was over $40, I wasn't even tempted to sell, not that I could with everything lost in the boating accident. .  Perhaps if I was smarter I would have dredged them up and sold and bought back in after the drop which really you know TPTB would engineer ( but at that time you were wondering, why haven't they dropped it already?) but even when that drop came, prices were still 2-3 times higher than they were when I bought. 

If I were single, I would be following Ann Barnhardt in her strike-- just stop filing, empty my bank accounts and make them come for it.  I agree with her its the right thing to do,  but that forces the confrontation that will arrive at my door  sooner than it might arrive, and risks my family and children. You will note part of Ann's strategy is to not earn much..and its unlikely the IRS will target her ( unless its for political reasons)  because the gain they would get on her back taxes owed on 20K of wages isn't worth even an hour of a IRS Thugs' time.  I am not ready for that  yet.  I am Still filing and paying significant tax bills, and really that income too will come to an end sooner or later of is own accord as the collapse continues, so may as well ride that train till it stops and compete my preps as well as I am able.  I would probably need another 3 years to really finish everything I want to finish, but I agree with Schiff, I don't see this lasting Obama's term.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2014, 06:53:54 AM »
Obama is term limited?  We still thinking that?  We still thinking that matters?  The next libiot will keep the circus going the right direction...downhill.

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2014, 08:15:32 AM »
Obama is term limited?  We still thinking that?  We still thinking that matters?  The next libiot will keep the circus going the right direction...downhill.

At this point the whole government is term limited.  The expiration of the dollar will be the expiration of the Fed.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2015, 07:57:09 AM »
Y'all remember the Feds going after economic terrorists like the anti-dollar Bitcoin?  Yeah, well, turns out infiltration had its perks...as in laundering $1M in Bitcoin swindle!

Yeah, government hates all competition, even criminal activity...but these clowns have to be the dumbest of the bunch to get caught skiming, they look like pikers compared to the Fed/WallSt/CronyCapitalist/RulingClass cabal!!!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero