Author Topic: Automakers to gearheads: Stop repairing your cars  (Read 1100 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Automakers to gearheads: Stop repairing your cars
« on: April 21, 2015, 02:12:04 PM »
Car Companies Say Home Repairs Are 'Legally Problematic,' Seek Copyright Restrictions

... OEMs and their main lobbying organization say cars have become too complex and dangerous for consumers and third parties to handle.

Allowing them to continue to fix their cars has become "legally problematic," according to a written statement from the Auto Alliance, the main lobbying arm of automakers.

The dispute arises from a section of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act that no one thought could apply to vehicles when it was signed into law in 1998. But now, in an era where cars are rolling computing platforms, the U.S. Copyright Office is examining whether provisions of the law that protect intellectual property should prohibit people from modifying and tuning their cars.

They can KMA!

eta:  Oof, forgot H/T to Rusty Bill @ Grouchy's
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 02:45:28 PM by Pandora »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Automakers to gearheads: Stop repairing your cars
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 02:23:07 PM »
And "Cash for Clunkers" deliberately removed lots of otherwise functional, older cars from the market.  Everywhere you turn there's this or that pressure being applied, pressuring people into a managed, regulated, controlled existence.

They can KMA too.  And they severely underestimate the ingenuity of people out there.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 02:27:18 PM »
Everywhere you turn there's this or that pressure being applied, pressuring people into a managed, regulated, controlled existence.

Exactly.  Herding us.  And I'm DAMN TIRED of it.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 02:36:18 PM »
Even more reason why I need to find a pre-computer era vehicle and hoard as many parts as I can get my rebellious little fingers on!!!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 04:37:21 PM »
Even more reason why I need to find a pre-computer era vehicle and hoard as many parts as I can get my rebellious little fingers on!!!

My plan exactly.

And it true about newer cars. The old fashioned shade tree mechanic has trouble working on newer cars.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 04:43:17 PM »
Not a surprise,  as its fairly easy* for a computer expert to alter (or replace) computer code on cars.  People do alter the code, especially if it's thought something on a car is being deliberately disabled by automakers,  mostly likely by the demands of the federal government.   

Many model cars now have third party software that can replace all or some the automakers installed software.   Typically to restore or enhance horsepower  or gas mileage that is present in the engine,  but held back by computer controls.   A typical new car can produce more horsepower without any physical upgrades, but by just removing the computer code holding it back.    The feds have gone apesh*t on pollution control lately, but since cars only produce about 3% of the pollution they made just 30 years ago,  there isn't much left to remove,  and what is left costs an arm and a leg to control.

For example,  today's diesel power cars and light trucks come with a DEF tank.  As they annoy people more then anything (computer will not allow the car to start if its empty),  there are kits to bypass (remove) the tank. 

*easy for someone handy with a computer,  not a normal person
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 05:03:36 PM by richb »

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 02:44:31 PM »
The value of Pan's Chevy and my old truck just went up a little more ;')