Author Topic: WI Judge issues third version of TRO  (Read 1490 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
WI Judge issues third version of TRO
« on: March 31, 2011, 03:23:22 PM »
Newest entry into the "they never, ever stop" category is Judge Maryann Sumi of Wisconsin ...

Judge Maryann Sumi has revised her temporary restraining order yet again in order to stop the state of Wisconsin from enforcing its reform bill:

The contentious collective bargaining law, Wisconsin Act 10, which would strip most public workers of nearly all collective bargaining rights and force them to contribute more to their pension and health plans, is not in effect, according to an amended restraining order released on Thursday morning.

Dane County Circuit Judge Maryann Sumi made the amended ruling at 8:15 a.m. She has already issued an emergency order blocking Wisconsin’s secretary of state from publishing the law. Sumi called a hearing Tuesday to weigh District Attorney Ismael Ozanne’s lawsuit alleging Republican legislative leaders violated Wisconsin’s open meetings law during debate on the proposal.

Sumi re-issued her order on Tuesday — and this time she has warned that anyone who violates it will face sanctions. She amended the ruling on Thursday to read, “Further, based on the briefs of counsel, the uncontroverted testimony, and the evidence received at the March 29 evidentiary hearing, it is hereby declared that 2011 Wisconsin Act 10 has not been published …”

If Sumi expects to have her decisions upheld by the state Supreme Court, perhaps she should take care to write them properly in the first place.   She will have trouble explaining how she justified interfering with the publication of  law in defiance with Wisconsin precedent, and I doubt that the Supreme Court will give her three tries to get that right.  Furthermore, her commentary about the legislature’s ability to work around her won’t exactly be seen as uninterested jurisprudence, either.

This puts even more pressure on the Supreme Court to take the case immediately and clarify matters, not the least of which is Sumi’s attempt to enjoin parties not part of the original lawsuit.

Sorry, lady; you can't rewrite reality.  The law has, indeed, BEEN PUBLISHED.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: WI Judge issues third version of TRO
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 03:28:18 PM »
What if it's a living/breathing reality as in the living/breathing Constitution that they believe in?
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 03:30:45 PM »
I think the ineptitude of the Wisconsin GOP in handling this from day-one has negative implications nationally on the efforts to scale back on decades of public union hegemony over the private sector and government. Places like Ohio and Indiana are achieving under-the-radar success, but who knows what kind of movement Wisconsin is starting that will threaten to undo those gains in the near future.

I think the WI GOP missteps also threaten to offer the Left an impetus for their own "Tea Party" movement, and I don't believe they'll be peaceful.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 05:14:11 PM »
I think the ineptitude of the Wisconsin GOP in handling this from day-one has negative implications nationally on the efforts to scale back on decades of public union hegemony over the private sector and government. Places like Ohio and Indiana are achieving under-the-radar success, but who knows what kind of movement Wisconsin is starting that will threaten to undo those gains in the near future.

I think the WI GOP missteps also threaten to offer the Left an impetus for their own "Tea Party" movement, and I don't believe they'll be peaceful.

I'm not sure I agree with you.  Wisconsin is a tough state and the dems expected long ago for the repubs to give in.  They've held strong--if this was 10 or 20 years ago they would have capitulated the first day in the "spirit" of compromise.  There are a lot of people there who aren't happy with the dems and the unions.  The unions are a big part of this story. There's a report again today about the unions boycotting businesses that won't put a pro-union sign in their store window.  They're not winning friends no matter what the repubs are doing.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 06:24:15 PM »
The unions are a big part of this story. There's a report again today about the unions boycotting businesses that won't put a pro-union sign in their store window.

The point should be made that this is exactly what "collective bargaining" means to them. They've been doing this to the taxpayer for decades, in essence.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 06:41:11 PM »

I'm not sure I agree with you.  Wisconsin is a tough state and the dems expected long ago for the repubs to give in.  They've held strong--if this was 10 or 20 years ago they would have capitulated the first day in the "spirit" of compromise.  There are a lot of people there who aren't happy with the dems and the unions.  The unions are a big part of this story. There's a report again today about the unions boycotting businesses that won't put a pro-union sign in their store window.  They're not winning friends no matter what the repubs are doing.

I'm with you on this one.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 11:33:18 PM »
We'll know more about what has been spawned in Wisconsin next Tuesday when they either re-elect Prosser or turn the Supreme Court over to the Leftists to undo the legislative agenda.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 11:35:49 PM »
We'll know more about what has been spawned in Wisconsin next Tuesday when they either re-elect Prosser or turn the Supreme Court over to the Leftists to undo the legislative agenda.

Re-elect?  Assuming the election is fair.  Big assumption there, these days, methinks.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"