Author Topic: 150 people jobless due to taxes  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
150 people jobless due to taxes
« on: December 20, 2011, 05:14:22 PM »
A business group in North Carolina that owns two restaurants and a video store was recently shut down by the state Dept. of Revenue for failing to pay $300,000 in back taxes. As a result of their shutdown and confiscation of assets, their 150 employees are now unpaid and unemployed.

The point of this is not to try and exonerate this particular business. We all know some degree of taxation is a necessary obligation of a citizenry, and maybe this business really was shirking some of that responsibility. The point is to show that, yes, the burdens imposed by the state very much do have a direct impact on the health of the economy. If we can see how the sudden seizure of unpaid taxes destroys a business in one fell swoop, it is not hard to imagine how the more gradual imposition of future taxes can likewise cause a gradual destruction of future business.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/business/150-jobs-lost-as-3-businesses-close-due-to-back-taxes-135622403.html
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 05:21:17 PM by Glock32 »
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
Re: 150 people jobless due to taxes
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 05:55:32 PM »
I know how they feel. When I was 12 the IRS came in around 11am through us out and changed the locks. (70's Carter) ::evilbat::
When I asked my Mom what happened? She said there comes a time when you pay your employees or pay the Government.
I still remember that.............................
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 07:14:08 AM »
Meanwhile, squatters take over homes while others default on everything under the sun, and all is well across the land...

::)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Castaway

• Likes the place
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 11:47:41 PM »
Sad that a biz owner would have to choose paying taxes, light bill, insurance, SSC, insurance, or payroll but that is reality in America today....and we wonder why jobs leave?

I was looking over my part time EOY paystub today.  It's a 22 hour a week job, I average 40 weeks a year.  I grossed 25,500.00 on that little gig plus my non taxable mileage.  Of the 25,500 I paid in 22% in taxes.  THE REAL KICKER IS household combined income the 25K is about HALF of the amount we pay into the system each year and we are FAR from the 1%. 

Basically I work all year to pay taxes, my two other pensions don't cover the tab even when added to the average PT job. 

If I were a young single cat right out of college making 25K renting or even better a single parent with that income I would most likely get every penny back I paid in and maybe some kind of government help?  In Nashville you could make up to 40K depending on size of family and still qualify for help with your utilities. 

Something tells me the small biz owner gets ZERO help with anything but more red tape.  Actually I know this to be true since I opened and  then closed a small biz because it was not worth the PITA factor. 

Under Employed at my choice is costing America money in many ways.  There are more of us out here than the government will ever acknowledge. 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 07:25:23 AM »
Agreed Castaway, the most extensive damage done in the economy by Fed, State & Local policies and taxation is on small business...they cannot hire teams of attorneys, accountants and lobbyists to try to keep the wolves at bay, their decision making is more immediate, difficult and personal!

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 11:18:11 AM »
On the bright side the 150 ex employees will be able to collect unemployment, food stamps, healthcare, SSI, TEFAP, TANF, federal housing, free child support, college loans, payment assistance of home heating costs ( LIHEAP) federal domestic assistance (CFDA), free school lunches, and possibly a FEMA card..... for the rest of their lives. ( end sarcasm).

And if you are a minority......

Livin the dream.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 11:33:33 AM »
Yup...

Looters = good

Producers = evil incarnate

I H8 Looters!

(Hey, I wonder if I can get that on a vanity plate?!)   ::devil::

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 02:41:38 PM »
Yup...

Looters = good

Producers = evil incarnate

I H8 Looters!

(Hey, I wonder if I can get that on a vanity plate?!)   ::devil::

Why not? More effective as a bumper sticker, I believe because the real looters wouldn't understand.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.