Author Topic: Common Core Math Returned to Sender as an Awesome Smackdown!  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Common Core Math Returned to Sender as an Awesome Smackdown!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 04:28:45 PM »
Remember!: Bobby Jindal was for Common Core before he was against it!!

He's the main reason the crap was implemented in the first place! ::pullhair::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 07:24:54 AM »
I was for letting AINO's breath before I was against it.

Now, that's the proper direction to mature, yes?   :D

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 02:41:25 PM »
I've seen several examples of math problems in the Common Core curriculum, and even when trying to give it the benefit of the doubt I still come up with a WTF?  I think this stems from a faulty premise, which is that rote memorization has no benefit in the learning process.  I remember being in school having to do stuff by rote and thinking it was pointless, but later when I got into higher maths I began to understand how that rote memorization had built up an area of "working memory" that I could use in the more advanced problems.

So yeah, I think the process of learning involves synthesis and rote memorization.  These Common Core problems seem to me that they're trying to put the cart before the horse, and demanding these kids develop an abstract understanding of the problem before they are even comfortable working with the numbers.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 06:48:32 PM »
I've seen several examples of math problems in the Common Core curriculum, and even when trying to give it the benefit of the doubt I still come up with a WTF?  I think this stems from a faulty premise, which is that rote memorization has no benefit in the learning process.  I remember being in school having to do stuff by rote and thinking it was pointless, but later when I got into higher maths I began to understand how that rote memorization had built up an area of "working memory" that I could use in the more advanced problems.

So yeah, I think the process of learning involves synthesis and rote memorization.  These Common Core problems seem to me that they're trying to put the cart before the horse, and demanding these kids develop an abstract understanding of the problem before they are even comfortable working with the numbers.

I learned the rote memorization process before I understood why it worked. That came later and I got it. But say I was too stupid and I NEVER understood why it worked. If they taught me the rote method I could STILL DO BASIC MATH.  Common Core is a DELIBERATE attempt to make Americans even worse at math - and intentional punishment of the smarter kids because they already know the answer and you are making them do thing the stupid and long way around ( They were doing this in my  son's class BEFORE common core.  I told him - Write the answer down (and show work where applicable) . Don't explain it in words. Don't use stupid methods.  If they grade you down, come talk to me and I will straighten the teacher out..)

But we should expect the leftists to punish kids who can think and use reason and logic., because they can do none of it. The primary force behind liberalism is envy.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 07:31:16 AM »

I learned the rote memorization process before I understood why it worked. That came later and I got it. But say I was too stupid and I NEVER understood why it worked. If they taught me the rote method I could STILL DO BASIC MATH. Common Core is a DELIBERATE attempt to make Americans even worse at math - and intentional punishment of the smarter kids because they already know the answer and you are making them do thing the stupid and long way around ( They were doing this in my  son's class BEFORE common core.  I told him - Write the answer down (and show work where applicable) . Don't explain it in words. Don't use stupid methods.  If they grade you down, come talk to me and I will straighten the teacher out..)

But we should expect the leftists to punish kids who can think and use reason and logic., because they can do none of it. The primary force behind liberalism is envy.

That was how America That Was operated, and it worked...now it is America In Decline...and to me the genesis of the decline can be directly traced to the converging rise of progressives and their BS and the increasing non-native unassimilating masses invading the nation.