Author Topic: The 9/11 victims America wants to forget  (Read 2370 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
The 9/11 victims America wants to forget
« on: September 10, 2011, 07:18:08 PM »
The 200 jumpers who flung themselves from the Twin Towers who have been 'airbrushed from history'

Almost all of them jumped alone, although eyewitnesses talked of a couple who held hands as they fell.

One woman, in a final act of modesty, appeared to be holding down her skirt. Others tried to make parachutes out of curtains or tablecloths, only to have them wrenched from their grip by the force of their descent.

The fall was said to take about ten seconds. It would vary according to the body position and how long it took to reach terminal velocity — around 125mph in most cases, but if someone fell head down with their body straight, as if in a dive, it could be 200mph.

When they hit the pavement, their bodies were not so much broken as obliterated.

Nothing more graphically spells out the horror of the 9/11 attacks on the Twin Towers than the grainy pictures of those poor souls frozen in mid-air as they fell to their deaths, tumbling in all manner of positions, after choosing to escape the suffocating smoke and dust, the flames and the steel-bending heat in the highest floors of the World Trade Centre.

And yet, tragically, they are in many ways the forgotten victims of September 11. Even now, nobody knows for certain who they were or exactly how many they numbered. Perhaps worst of all, surprisingly few even want to know.

Excellent article.  Read the whole thing.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: The 9/11 victims America wants to forget
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 08:02:36 PM »
Those images & sounds still haunt me.

More reason why I want to obliterate every spawn of every womb that ever brought such evil into the world from the face of the earth.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 08:06:24 PM »
But there are other, more complicated, reasons. In the aftermath of this attack on America’s sovereign territory — a period of intense patriotism — some considered that to choose to die rather than be killed showed a lack of courage.

And in this country of intense religious fervour, many believe that to be a ‘jumper’ was to choose suicide rather than accept the fate of God — and suicide in whatever circumstances is considered shameful or, indeed, a sin that will send you to Hell.

I do not know anyone who would believe this. I do want not know anyone who would believe this.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 09:36:34 PM »
But there are other, more complicated, reasons. In the aftermath of this attack on America’s sovereign territory — a period of intense patriotism — some considered that to choose to die rather than be killed showed a lack of courage.

And in this country of intense religious fervour, many believe that to be a ‘jumper’ was to choose suicide rather than accept the fate of God — and suicide in whatever circumstances is considered shameful or, indeed, a sin that will send you to Hell.

I do not know anyone who would believe this. I do want not know anyone who would believe this.

Burning to death is one of my greatest fears. I would rather be a greasy spot on the street than roast.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 10:01:12 PM »

I don't know anyone who believes that either.  But the article's author was British, and was probably influenced by the stereotype of Americans as bitter clinging Bible thumpers.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 10:18:29 PM »
Burning to death is one of my greatest fears. I would rather be a greasy spot on the street than roast.

I wrote this last night at Neo-Neocon (which is where I found the linked article):

People always jump from burning buildings. I think it is instinctive. Fire burns and causes intense pain, but more importantly, smoke makes it impossible to breathe. The instinct for breathing is so automatic that people will jump from a window just to get one more breath.

I remember reading Eddie Rickenbacker’s autobiography many years ago. He was America’s top fighter ace in World War I. For most of that war, pilots didn’t have parachutes. When their planes were hit by machine gun fire, they often burst into flames since they were built of wood and canvas, and had an engine and gas tank right in front of the pilot. Pilots frequently jumped to their deaths when their planes caught fire.

Rickenbacker told of his squadron commander, Raoul Lufbery, and how he constantly told the men never to jump from a burning plane since that meant certain death. Rather, they should try to fly their planes down to the ground and make a crash landing.

One day Lufbery’s plane was hit and burst into flame. He jumped.

But one point the article makes is something I hadn't considered before:  At least some of the "jumpers" were probably pushed out by the crush of people crowding around the holes in the wall seeking fresh air, similar to what happens in crowd stampedes.  I find that far more horrifying than people choosing to jump.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 10:40:21 PM »
I don't remember if I saw people jumping in the live footage, or in the days and weeks after the attack. But I do remember feeling a compounded sense of horror and rage at the thought of innocent people having to choose between burning to death or falling to the ground from hundreds of feet in the air. I remember thinking how evil the attack was, before George W. Bush gave it that name.

For better or worse - and in spite of our government's admonition to avoid generalizations - Islam and evil became inextricably linked for me on that day. Over the subsequent weeks, months, and years, it began to dawn on me that without its enablers and apologists on the Left, the evil of Islam is an impotent evil. We have a greater evil than Islam to conquer.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 09:47:26 AM »
I cannot come close to imagining the plight of the People caught helplessly above the escape line on both Towers. I believe in my Heart that the path the jumpers took, was there only opinion. I know also that God took all in to consideration. I am totally at piece, that all who perished on that fateful day is in a much better place.

Offline Southpaw

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 12:28:52 PM »
There was a special last night on TV about the firemen sent to the towers when the planes hit them, and it showed some of those who jumped.

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 11:21:48 AM »
Related to the title of this Piece is this.

Islamists Seeking to Isolate Israel

Tuesday, 13 September 2011 06:43 Rick Moran

As the United Nations vote on Palestinian statehood approaches, Israel has been forced to face security and diplomatic crises that challenge the peace and stability of the entire Middle East, as well as undermine the carefully wrought network of alliances that has kept the Jewish state from becoming diplomatically isolated for decades.

From souring relations with its once strong ally Turkey, to new dangers emerging in Egypt, to the growing threat from Iran, and the tide of Islamization sweeping across the Arab world, Israel is increasingly finding itself nearly alone, and threatened with instability along its borders, and the entire region.  

It is surprising how quickly Israel’s relations with Turkey have gone south. They had been slowly deteriorating since Prime Minister Erdogan’s Islamist party took over the government in 2003. But the Mavi Marmara incident last year, where Turkish radicals tried to run the Gaza blockade by sea and 9 activists were killed, has accelerated the decline dramatically. A UN report released last week blamed Israel for actions that were “excessive and unreasonable,” while also blaming Turkey and organizers of the blockade runners for the deaths. The report also called the blockade “legitimate,” while criticizing Ankara for not warning activists of the consequences of trying to run the blockade.

http://www.rightsidenews.com/2011091314487/world/israel/islamists-seeking-to-isolate-israel.html?

Many Americans are also trying to forget about Israel. Who would have ever thought the President of the United States and the Mayor of New York City, would side with Killers? The biggest thing, is why?

« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 11:35:05 AM by jpatrickham »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 11:27:20 AM »
We've had a lot of ranting against Ergodan and the ever increasing Islamist tilt of Turkey from a one time secular state we could get along with.

We can kick them out of NATO, pull our people out of there, wire Incirlik with explosives and flash fingers & asses on the way out and let 'em go to hell!

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 07:30:33 AM »
Thanks CO.

Never forget, never forgive!!!