Author Topic: Is the NYC Department of Education List of Banned Words ‘Absurd’?  (Read 2091 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
What are your children learning, or rather not learning, in the classroom?

The New York City Department of Education is looking out for the feelings of its students by banning words they deem offensive. No, this isn’t the list of “Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television.” Companies that make standardized testing have been instructed to ban some of the following words and topics: dinosaurs, Halloween, birthday, dancing (except ballet), and computers (unless mentioned in reference to schools and libraries).

Megyn Kelly asked Monica Crowley on America Live if this is satirical news straight from The Onion. Crowley replied that this is “absurd” but the official mandate includes all public schools citywide because “certain children might be offended because they can’t afford a computer in the home, therefore seeing that word in that context on a test might insult them.”

One of the words on the list is slavery, to which Megyn pointed out that they’re “literally eliminating historical facts because they’re worried that it’s going to upset someone.” Crowley agreed to her point adding, “Real historical events that our students should be learning about in context, understanding why it happened, why either the dinosaurs or slavery no longer exists.”

H/T Brietbart.com

Might insult them.   ::gaah::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Is the NYC Department of Education List of Banned Words ‘Absurd’?
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 07:07:36 PM »
This is satire...it's gotta be. No one is this stupid. Please, someone tell me this is nothing more than a prank. A group of grown men and women cannot possibility sit around discussing school policy and believe this needs to be included.

No, I don't believe it.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 07:15:03 AM »
This is satire...it's gotta be. No one is this stupid. Please, someone tell me this is nothing more than a prank. A group of grown men and women cannot possibility sit around discussing school policy and believe this needs to be included.

No, I don't believe it.

I know, but we see proof every day there are stupid people among us!

::outrage::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 09:45:05 AM »
I got a better idea.

Since it seems that any word can be contorted to be offensive lets have no talking at all.

I could go for a more silence.

The side benefit would be that a number of liberals would explode from not being able to blather on and on.

::danceban:: ::bustamove::

edited to add:

I find the phrase "NYC Department of Education" offensive.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 03:58:06 PM »
Dinosaur... Really?   Even the creationists can not refute the fact that there are dinosaur bones and that those animals existed.  They even state that God created them, it is just the time frame they have issues with.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline S0N_of_trapeze

• Newb
  • I am a defender AND a legacy. A SOLDIER
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 05:54:32 PM »
This is just another reason to add to my "book of reasons to homeschool my children." I wonder how these educators became so spineless. were they born this way? Were their parents like this? Or were they taught this is a university? its a cryin shame.
It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not to deserve them. - Mark Twain
No more important duty can be urged upon those who are entering the great theater of life than simple loyalty to their best convictions.- Edwin Hubbel Chapin

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 09:47:37 PM »
Dinosaur... Really?   Even the creationists can not refute the fact that there are dinosaur bones and that those animals existed.  They even state that God created them, it is just the time frame they have issues with.

Shoot, everyone knows there were dinosaurs, we're just unclear on what role they played in early society.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 10:38:11 AM »

Shoot, everyone knows there were dinosaurs, we're just unclear on what role they played in early society.

::thumbsup::
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 11:33:39 AM »

Must be a transgender dinosaur, didn't know they came in that color.

::unknowncomic::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 04:07:28 PM »

Sure ya did; it's Barney's great-grandfather.   ::exitstageleft::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 06:27:07 PM »

Sure ya did; it's Barney's great-grandfather.   ::exitstageleft::

Now that's funny..........Thanks       ::hysterical::  ::danceban::  ::bustamove::  ::whoohoo::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow