Author Topic: Presidential Trivia - Game  (Read 56837 times)

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
Re: Presidential Trivia - Game
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2014, 07:19:38 AM »
Attaboys - we have multiples today.
Good going guys - my first post on this was based on facts before 44 took office when I finished research, and I had not heard about the reinstatement, so you got me on this one. ::facepalm:: ::bashing::
Congress took it away and replaced it with 10 years protection making Clinton the last to receive lifetime protection, but last year the thing at 1600 Pennslyvania Ave signed the bill that reinstated the life time protection, so Bush now has it.
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2014, 03:47:49 PM »
Good going guys - my first post on this was based on facts before 44 took office when I finished research, and I had not heard about the reinstatement, so you got me on this one. ::facepalm:: ::bashing::
Congress took it away and replaced it with 10 years protection making Clinton the last to receive lifetime protection, but last year the thing at 1600 Pennslyvania Ave signed the bill that reinstated the life time protection, so Bush now has it.

And I hope it's killing him, too, knowing that.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2014, 09:38:26 PM »

And I hope it's killing him, too, knowing that.

Agreed, but we all know the only person he was thinking about was himself.
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2014, 09:46:53 PM »
Sorry so late, but had to work late.

Question # 16   This President inauguration was the first to be photographed. Who was he?

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2014, 10:48:40 PM »
Answer #16 - Even though no takers --- The President in question was James Buchanan.

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2014, 11:03:52 PM »
Answer #16 - Even though no takers --- The President in question was James Buchanan.

For the record, my best guess was Abraham Lincoln, so I was flatly wrong.  I knew he had a famous presidential photographer, but I did suspect I was wrong, which is why I did not give my answer. I am LOVING the thread though. Please keep it up. Even when I do not have the courage to give my guess, it makes me think and I appreciate it.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2014, 07:22:43 AM »
I suspected Buchanan solely on the time frame.

I think Lincoln's photographer may have been Matthew Brady

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2014, 12:35:54 PM »
Question #17 ---

The oath of office is taken with a hand on the Bible opened to a passage of the President-Elects choice.  Which book of the Bible is used most often by Presidents?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2014, 02:58:40 PM »
I'd hazard a guess it might be Psalms.  But lets see what other folks might think.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2014, 04:10:53 PM »
Libertas -- well   ::danceban:: ::lalanotlistening:: ATTABOY -- Psalms it is  ::whoohoo::

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2014, 08:30:38 PM »
Question #18

This President recommended a constitutional amendment setting a term of six years for the presidency and forbidding re-election.   Who was he?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2014, 07:06:09 AM »
#18 - Sounds a bit goofy Rusty...and I detect something I cannot fully explain that makes me bark out Teddy Roosevelt as my guess.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2014, 09:48:41 AM »
Question #18

This President recommended a constitutional amendment setting a term of six years for the presidency and forbidding re-election.   Who was he?

I would guess Monroe.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline yankeestom

• Newb
« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2014, 10:20:46 AM »
Washington?
-Tom
Free Tibet*!

*With purchase of an additional Tibet of equal or greater value

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2014, 10:23:42 AM »
Jefferson was the first to suggest term limits, but I don't know about the 6-year length of a term.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2014, 12:16:50 PM »
Jefferson was the first to suggest term limits, but I don't know about the 6-year length of a term.

Jefferson was paranoid that Washington would elevate himself to emperor. He ws envious of Washington's influence and ran a rumor mill designed to diminish Washington's reputation - the first employment of "yellow journalism".

Then he had no problem serving two terms himself. Sort of a "do as I say, not as I do" that he was famous for.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2014, 01:26:15 PM »
Answer to #18  Sorry folks but all guess' were wrong,  Rutherford B. Hayes was the President in question.  But; you hit the nail on the head about Jefferson...

Jefferson was paranoid that Washington would elevate himself to emperor. He ws envious of Washington's influence and ran a rumor mill designed to diminish Washington's reputation - the first employment of "yellow journalism".

Then he had no problem serving two terms himself. Sort of a "do as I say, not as I do" that he was famous for.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2014, 01:58:05 PM »
OK, so I didn't (don't!) doubt you and I won't use the Internet to game my guesses but I was curious about this one so I did a quick search. The first hit was this page: http://www.republicanpresidents.net/10-interesting-facts-about-rutherford-hayes/

It also listed some other interesting factoids about Hayes (I didn't know a single one!:

10 Interesting Facts About Rutherford Hayes

10. First presidential telephone

President Hayes was the first president to use a telephone while in office. It was installed in the White House in 1879 by none other than Alexander Graham Bell.

9. Multiple Civil War wounds

Hayes was one of five presidents who served in the Civil War, but he was the only one to be wounded in the war. He was wounded on four occasions and had four horses shot from under him.

8. Not in the White House

Hayes’ wife Lucy banned dancing, smoking, alcohol and card playing from the White House. Lucy came to be known as “Lemonade Lucy” for her decision to not serve any alcohol.

7. Hayes started a White House tradition

Hayes and his wife conducted the very first Easter egg roll on the White House lawn. It began a tradition that continues today on the Monday after Easter.

6. First president to go west

Hayes was the first president to visit the West Coast while in office. He visited San Francisco on September 8, 1880.

5. Allowed women in the courtroom

Hayes signed legislation that allowed women to plead cases before the Supreme Court.

4. Hayes won by one vote

Hayes lost the popular vote by about 250,000 but won the electoral vote by one vote.

3. A Congressional commission decided Hayes’ election

The Election of 1876 was highly controversial. The electoral votes from four states were contested and a Congressional commission had to be set up to resolve the dispute. The bi-partisan commission granted the disputed electoral votes to Hayes, giving him the presidency by one vote.

2. Hayes was sworn in secretly

Because of the bitter controversy of  Hayes’ election, the Republicans were worried that the opposing party may try to derail his inauguration. He became the first president to be given the oath of office inside the White House. This occurred in a secret ceremony in the Red Room. Later that same day, he took the oath publicly on the East Portico of the Capitol.

1. Hayes refused to run for a second term

Hayes proposed a one-term limit on the presidency coupled with a six year term. Although his proposal was never enacted, he still kept his pledge to not seek re-election in 1880.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2014, 02:12:21 PM »
Alphabet Soup --

OK, so I didn't (don't!) doubt you and I won't use the Internet to game my guesses but I was curious about this one so I did a quick search. The first hit was this page:

I didn't get the question from that page, I have a section in my research from years ago that I put interesting trivia questions and answers.  Some of the other points in that internet article you found are in my lists totaling about 50 pages, so I won't be giving you any of those questions. ::oldman:: ::danceban:: ::hysterical::

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2014, 07:39:28 PM »
Alphabet Soup --

OK, so I didn't (don't!) doubt you and I won't use the Internet to game my guesses but I was curious about this one so I did a quick search. The first hit was this page:

I didn't get the question from that page, I have a section in my research from years ago that I put interesting trivia questions and answers.  Some of the other points in that internet article you found are in my lists totaling about 50 pages, so I won't be giving you any of those questions. ::oldman:: ::danceban:: ::hysterical::

You know - just as soon as I posted that I thought to myself "gosh, I hope none of those trivia points are part of his game"