Author Topic: Presidential Trivia - Game  (Read 56007 times)

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
Re: Presidential Trivia - Game
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2014, 02:50:44 PM »
# 7

Name the president that had the most states enter the union during his administration.

Tough...memory problems here and it somewhat depends on definitions. Either Washington, when 13 states joined the Union or Abraham Lincoln, when the Confederacy was dissolved and those states were taken back into the Union. The really tough question would be who is third and I would guess Monroe, but Lincoln was probably in the running that way too, as states were added by the Union during the civil war to gain assets for the war.  Good question, Rusty. I am eager for the answer.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2014, 10:14:58 PM »
# 7

Name the president that had the most states enter the union during his administration.

Tough...memory problems here and it somewhat depends on definitions. Either Washington, when 13 states joined the Union or Abraham Lincoln, when the Confederacy was dissolved and those states were taken back into the Union. The really tough question would be who is third and I would guess Monroe, but Lincoln was probably in the running that way too, as states were added by the Union during the civil war to gain assets for the war.  Good question, Rusty. I am eager for the answer.

Good insight, althought George Washington was elected from citizens of states already forming the union.  Even though he was elected president of colonies forming the country prior to official election, the original 13 were already states, by his inauguration of March 4, 1789.  As far as Lincoln and the Civil War ciceded states.  Because they were already states before the war and then after the union won, they were re-admitted and not considered new states.

Now answering #7 --- Benjamin H. Harrison had 6 states join the union during his presidency; -
         North Dakota and South Dakota, - Nov. 2, 1889
         Montana --- Nov. 8, 1889
         Washington - Nov. 11, 1889
         Idaho ----- July 3, 1890
         Wyoming --July 10,1890

George Washington did have -  5  / also   J. Monroe had - 5

« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 05:00:30 AM by rustybayonet »
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2014, 05:05:47 AM »
Up earlier than expected for work.

#8   Which President had the most children? [should I add legitimate - ::rolllaughing::]
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2014, 11:50:06 AM »
Counting slaves?  Maybe Jefferson?!  LOL!

Counting knocked up bimbos you don't even know about?  Probably Slick Willie!

Off the cuff guess - Polk.  Why, I dunno...didn't them oldtimer Scots/Irish guys all sire large broods?

ETA - Question:  Why is this here and not in History?   ::saywhat::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2014, 01:33:45 PM »

Off the cuff guess - Polk.  Why, I dunno...didn't them oldtimer Scots/Irish guys all sire large broods?

Moving to History, crabby-puss.   :-*
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2014, 06:24:01 PM »
Answer to #8 ----- Sorry Libertas, neither of your guesses were correct.

John Tyler still holds the record at 15. 

Mary - Robert - John Jr. - Letitlia - Elizabeth - Anne Contesse - Alice - Tazewell - David Gardiner - John Alexander - Julia Gardiner - Lachlan - Lyon Gardiner - Robert Fitzwalter - Pearl

His first wife Letitlia died in 1842, they had 8, in 1844 he married Julia Gardiner who gave him the last 7.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question # 9  a two part

Which former president has a natural national place named after him?

And the second part;
How many prominent American cities can you name that are named after former presidents?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 06:29:48 PM by rustybayonet »

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2014, 08:29:31 PM »
After reading about Tyler, I think he should be added to my list of great Presidents!
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2014, 06:50:25 AM »

Moving to History, crabby-puss.   :-*

Didn't mean to be crabby...I'm an accountant by profession and a stickler by nature, which means I got in the picky line twice!   ;D

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2014, 06:59:02 AM »

Mary - Robert - John Jr. - Letitlia - Elizabeth - Anne Contesse - Alice - Tazewell - David Gardiner - John Alexander - Julia Gardiner - Lachlan - Lyon Gardiner - Robert Fitzwalter - Pearl

His first wife Letitlia died in 1842, they had 8, in 1844 he married Julia Gardiner who gave him the last 7.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question # 9  a two part

And the second part;
How many prominent American cities can you name that are named after former presidents?

Dang, Tyler would have been my second choice...can we make this multiple choice?   ;D

Cities after Presidents?  Ufda!  Is who isn't a shorter list?  I know the Columbia Heights/Northeast (Nordeast) area of the Twin Cities here has a boatload of 'em just there alone. 

Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Monroe, Quincy (Adams), Jackson, Van Buren, Harrison, Tyler, Polk, Taylor, Fillmore, Pierce, Buchanon, Lincoln, Johnson, Ulysses (Grant), Hayes, Garfield, Arthur, Cleveland, McKinley, Roosevelt, Taft, Wilson, Harding, Coolidge, Hoover, Delano (Roosevelt), Kennedy.

There is a Clinton but it has to be somebody other than Slick Willie...right?  Right?

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2014, 07:57:15 AM »

Question # 9  a two part

And the second part;

Dang, Tyler would have been my second choice...can we make this multiple choice?   ;D

Cities after Presidents?  Ufda!  Is who isn't a shorter list?  I know the Columbia Heights/Northeast (Nordeast) area of the Twin Cities here has a boatload of 'em just there alone. 

Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Monroe, Quincy (Adams), Jackson, Van Buren, Harrison, Tyler, Polk, Taylor, Fillmore, Pierce, Buchanon, Lincoln, Johnson, Ulysses (Grant), Hayes, Garfield, Arthur, Cleveland, McKinley, Roosevelt, Taft, Wilson, Harding, Coolidge, Hoover, Delano (Roosevelt), Kennedy.

There is a Clinton but it has to be somebody other than Slick Willie...right?  Right?

The only city you named not named after a president is Cleveland;

As one of thirty-six founders of the Connecticut Land Company, General Moses Cleaveland was selected as one of its seven directors and was subsequently sent out as the company's agent to map and survey the company's holdings. On July 22, 1796, Cleaveland and his surveyors arrived at the mouth of the Cuyahoga River.......The spelling of the city's name was changed in 1831 by The Cleveland Advertiser, an early city newspaper. In order for the name to fit on newspaper's masthead,[citation needed] the first "a" was dropped, reducing the city's name to Cleveland. Another account is that the spelling changes came from an error on a surveyor's map.[citation needed] The new spelling stuck, and long outlasted the Advertiser itself.

The first part of question about natural national place is -- Mt. McKinley in Alaska

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2014, 08:15:22 AM »

Question # 9  a two part

And the second part;

The only city you named not named after a president is Cleveland;

As one of thirty-six founders of the Connecticut Land Company, General Moses Cleaveland was selected as one of its seven directors and was subsequently sent out as the company's agent to map and survey the company's holdings. On July 22, 1796, Cleaveland and his surveyors arrived at the mouth of the Cuyahoga River.......The spelling of the city's name was changed in 1831 by The Cleveland Advertiser, an early city newspaper. In order for the name to fit on newspaper's masthead,[citation needed] the first "a" was dropped, reducing the city's name to Cleveland. Another account is that the spelling changes came from an error on a surveyor's map.[citation needed] The new spelling stuck, and long outlasted the Advertiser itself.

The first part of question about natural national place is -- Mt. McKinley in Alaska

::facepalm::

My brainfart!  I was thinking streets not cities!  See what this messy commute did to my noodle!  I knew we were talking about cities not streets yet I plowed ahead wrongly anyway.

Jeesh, some people!   :o

Oh, and "national place" you mean national park, monument, etc, right?

There is a Mt Washington in Maine I think, I guess named after George (maybe back when most of Maine was part of Massachusettes?) but it is not a "national place" I don't think.

There is Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota.  Only one fitting that category I can recall off the top of my head...probably because I have been there!

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2014, 09:21:29 AM »
I'm bad - should have said name a natural national place.  As you pointed out there are more than one.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2014, 11:26:46 AM »
I'm still learning here. ::cool::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2014, 02:02:33 PM »
Question #10

Has the month and date of elected Presidents inauguration changed, and if so why?

Offline yankeestom

• Newb
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2014, 02:06:31 PM »
The 20th Amendment moved the date up, but I don't remember when it originally was.  Sometime in March I think.
-Tom
Free Tibet*!

*With purchase of an additional Tibet of equal or greater value

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2014, 02:37:09 PM »
The 20th Amendment moved the date up, but I don't remember when it originally was.  Sometime in March I think.

That was quick, but you only get a partial attaboy;

George Washington's 1st was held on April 30, 1789 his second March 4, 1793.  March 4th remained the date until F. D. Roosevelt was sworn in on Jan. 20, 1937 for his second term, and has remained that since. [ Making Washington {April & March}and Roosevelt {March & Jan} the only two elected president sworn in, in different months].  And now the exception - When any of the dates fall on Sunday inauguration is held the next day.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2014, 02:38:45 PM »
#11 ---- Name the only president sworn in by his father.

Offline yankeestom

• Newb
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2014, 02:49:58 PM »
Obvious guesses would be either John Quincy Adams or George W. Bush.  I'm pretty sure it's not Bush, or there would have been some pretty memorable pictures/video that I have no recollection of. 

Then again, those guesses are so obvious that neither is probably correct.

-Tom
Free Tibet*!

*With purchase of an additional Tibet of equal or greater value

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2014, 04:46:01 PM »
Silent Cal

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2014, 06:09:59 PM »
Silent Cal

Another attaboy -----
Calvin Coolidge was notified while at his fathers house at night, in Vermont.  Since they didn't have a phone he walked across town to call DC and verify it.  Then walked back to his fathers house, where his Justice of the Peace father administered the oath of office.  The next day he headed back to DC and after arriving congress worried that being sworn in by his father and a lowly JofP may not be legal, he was sworn in again by the Chief Justice.