Author Topic: FBI tried to chit in Sheriff Joe's mess kit  (Read 1409 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
FBI tried to chit in Sheriff Joe's mess kit
« on: March 08, 2014, 06:19:10 AM »
 Didn't work out too well for them. Maybe they should have gotten a special prosecutor like the Zimmerman trial.

By Yvonne Wingett Sanchez and Dennis Wagner The Republic | azcentral.com Fri Mar 7, 2014 11:07 AM

Federal investigators concluded there was sufficient evidence to bring charges against public officials during their years-long abuse-of-power investigation targeting Maricopa County law-enforcement agencies, according to heavily redacted records obtained by The Arizona Republic.

The records indicate that FBI agents found probable cause to recommend felony counts of obstructing criminal investigations of prosecutions, theft by threats, tampering with witnesses, perjury and theft by extortion.

Ultimately, federal prosecutors in August 2012 closed the three-year FBI criminal investigation and grand-jury probe into Sheriff Joe Arpaio, former County Attorney Andrew Thomas and their top deputies, saying there would be no indictments due to a lack of evidence or an insurmountable burden of proof.

Days later, The Republic submitted requests under the federal Freedom of Information Act, asking for all investigative records related to the probe. The newspaper later amended the scope of its request to seek prosecutorial reports after a federal official said it would take years for the U.S. Department of Justice to comply with the initial request.

This week — 17 months after The Republic’s September 2012 requests — the U.S. Department of Justice produced 93 pages of records dating as far back as 2008. Federal officials obscured two-thirds of the pages nearly in their entirety, citing privacy rights and the protection of law-enforcement methods. The names of investigative targets, their accusers and FBI agents were redacted, along with details of the alleged crimes, witness statements and supporting evidence.

Nevertheless, the abuse-of-authority probe at least partially targeted the Maricopa Anti-Corruption Effort, a unit of sheriff’s deputies and county prosecutors who in 2006 were assigned by Arpaio and Thomas to investigate government officials suspected of violating the public trust. That unit was eventually disbanded.

The report makes clear that FBI agents believed evidence was strong enough to prosecute some of those under investigation.

Arpaio could not be reached for comment, but he has said in the past that the federal probe was politically motivated.

Thomas responded to a request for comment by issuing a Facebook post alleging that a year ago, when an associate sought a copy of the investigation, the FBI issued a “full denial,” yet now the bureau has released those records to the media.

Due to redactions, it is impossible to ascertain from the FBI records how many county law-enforcement officials were referred for criminal charges, who they were, or what conduct was considered unlawful.

I find it hard to believe Holder and co. stopped so easily.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
Re: FBI tried to chit in Sheriff Joe's mess kit
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 07:17:29 AM »

Could it be they ran into someone that out classed them in everyway, knew the law and followed the Constitution?  hmmmmmm   ::dueling::   ::thinking::
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 11:32:20 AM »
I find it hard to believe Holder and co. stopped so easily.

They found that, like looking in a mirror, everywhere there was corruption it had Øbongo's fingerprints all over it.

I'd quit while I was behind too!

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 03:22:28 PM »
Sheriff Joe will have a target on his back the rest of his career.   He only shows how real solutions to problems are,  and they aren't liberal ones! 

Frankly if we had sheriff's like him in every county,  or at least a good portion of them, we would be so much better off.   My brothers in law lives in that county and they have the second lowest crime rate for a city over 200k people.    Joe is showing how its done,  and liberals don't like it.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 02:44:41 PM »
  There was no there there,all they wanted to do was throw mud at him it never had anything to do with anything but try to show him who was boss. Look how well it worked out,they just made Joe stronger.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 06:01:17 AM »
They spent millions harassing a man doing his job correctly and lawfully but on a good note, they provided the job welfare to keep slime on the payroll. ::facepalm::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 07:37:25 AM »
He's always had a target on him by progressive neerdowell's, and he has survived them all, including the likes of the loathsome O'Bongo Regime and Holder's Henchmen...they no doubt failed because they could not infiltrate his organization and create the evidence they needed to manufacture.

Problem is, I hope Joe has some good deputies that can succeed him, because he ain't a spring chicken any more, heck he ain't a late fall chicken either!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.