Author Topic: The "wealth redistribution" pope  (Read 1525 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
The "wealth redistribution" pope
« on: May 09, 2014, 03:33:47 PM »
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_REL_VATICAN_UN?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-05-09-06-31-28

VATICAN CITY (AP) -- Pope Francis called Friday for governments to redistribute wealth and benefits to the poor in a new spirit of generosity to help curb the "economy of exclusion" that is taking hold today.

Francis made the appeal during a speech to U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the heads of major U.N. agencies who met in Rome this week.

Latin America's first pope has frequently lashed out at the injustices of capitalism and the global economic system. On Friday, Francis called for the United Nations to promote a "worldwide ethical mobilization" of solidarity with the poor.

He said a more equal form of economic progress can be had through "the legitimate redistribution of economic benefits by the state, as well as indispensable cooperation between the private sector and civil society."

Francis urged the U.N. to promote development goals that attack the root causes of poverty and hunger, protect the environment and ensure dignified labor for all.

Friday's audience came just days after the Holy See was battered in a second round of grilling by a U.N. committee over its record of handling priestly sex abuse. Neither the pope nor Ban spoke of the issue. Francis did refer to another topic at the U.N. hearings: the church's opposition to abortion, which U.N. committee members have criticized as an impediment to women's access to reproductive health care.

Francis called for respect for life "from conception to natural death" and his denunciation of the "culture of death" echoed previous papal exhortations against abortion.

During the meeting, Ban invited Francis to speak to the United Nations. The Vatican hasn't confirmed any such trip, but Francis is widely expected to visit the U.S. in September 2015 to participate in a church meeting on families in Philadelphia, making a U.N. stop likely.

At least he's still on board for killing abortion. Whoopee.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: The "wealth redistribution" pope
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 04:20:58 PM »
As I said in another thread:

Remember when Jesus told his disciples to take up their swords and go unto their neighbors' house, take their wealth, cut the  throats of any who attempt to stop them, and then go forth into the world and do good works with the wealth thus taken?  Yeah, neither do I.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 09:06:03 AM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 10:02:31 PM »
Is it charity when you "give" at the point of a government-issued rifle?
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 10:06:30 PM »
Is it charity when you "give" at the point of a government-issued rifle?

NO.  Neither is "redistribution of economic benefits by the state ...." in any way legitimate.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 10:14:52 PM »
Ann Barnhardt call your office, re: papal infallibility.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 10:23:58 PM »
Sigh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Isn't a hundred years of failure on the part of government "charity" enough? 

Helping the poor is far too important to be left to government.   You would think a pope like him would understand that after living in a corrupt poor place like he has.    But no,  he is just another big government drone that thinks,  just a little more and it will work.............   How do you blame a system that DOESN'T really exist where he lived.   There is very little capitalism in Argentina.    Its a crony system not capitalism.

If anything a pope like him should be a advocate of economic freedom FROM government.   Pope John Paul understood it,  why doesn't this guy?

I grew up in the Chicago area,  and I weep when I ride through a south or west side neighborhood.   The biggest reason why those neighborhood are condemned to their horrid state is the corrupt governments of Illinois,  Cook County and the city of Chicago.   They will not change in the foreseeable future.    The only reason why the North side survives is that some people still like a urban experience and will overlook a lot of nonsense to call it home.   But even that is threatened by government stupidity.   

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 12:09:05 AM »
Pope John Paul understood it,  why doesn't this guy?

Jesuit.  "Liberation Theory".
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 07:32:08 AM »
Pope-a-Dope:

2 Thessalonians 3:10
For even when we were with you, we commanded you this: If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+thes+3%3A10&version=NKJV

[Tell that idiot to keep practicing with loaves & fishes until he can mystically feed the world]
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 08:58:04 AM »
Ann Barnhardt call your office, re: papal infallibility.

At 46:45 or so
Ann Barnhardt Podcast December 3, ARSH 2013

To save you time however: She cites  a 1954 Catechism that basically says the Pope is only infallible under certain conditions: namely he must be speaking officially on a subject of faith and morals. Comments on legislation and science are automatically discounted. And then she tap dances a bit  - just as any one who desperately wants to believe something will when caught in a logical trap. Its only infallible if the Pope  announces what he is about to say  its infallible.

It basically boils down to the "God is in Charge" argument- so just as may Protestants will claim God has "protected" his word  in the Bible from being corrupted by men,  so Catholics claim he protects the church. I think the only difference is that the Churches corruption is far more obvious.

And this Pope is a punishment from God, and it as if the Church is going though "its own passion" - And yes, then she starts talking about being faithful to Christ and Christ's church, and having a personal and individual relationship with Christ which should compel you not to abandon the "one true church"  and prove you love Christ by fighting to bring his church back to his word.  ( Hmmm. Personal Relationship... Clergy is Corrupt..  didn't modern Protestant all start this way?)

But to her credit, Ann is always clear eyed and intelligent in her analysis - in spite of internal prejudices that would push lesser men into denial , and called this Pope  a disaster from the first day - despite her obvious love,  devotion, and belief in the Catholic Church and its doctrines.  Even with that prejudice she is capable of writing eloquently and movingly about the words of Christ and the "true teachings" of the Church, and I have on occasion learned much.
 If you think about it, and how most people with this sort of emotional blind spot would react,   I think she is doing very well in combating her own human nature here, and deserves credit for doing it.  Heck no, I don't agree with her most of the time when it concerns the Catholic Church, and I don't know why or how she is blind to the fact that most everything it does or advocates are trappings added by men to enhance the  power of men, and I can only assume it is because the Man she sees as occupying that seat  of power is Jesus himself, and she is certainly capable of seeing it when a man who ISN'T Jesus is sitting there and responding accordingly, even if it involves some mental gymnastics and (irrational) rationalization to get there.

See also :

http://www.barnhardt.biz/2013/11/28/unpacking-the-latest-hot-mess-from-pope-francis/
http://www.barnhardt.biz/2013/10/01/the-gospel-rewritten-by-pope-francis/
http://www.barnhardt.biz/2013/09/30/catching-up-the-cardinals-and-peronist-fascism/
http://www.barnhardt.biz/2013/03/14/on-francis/