Author Topic: It started down hill when  (Read 3362 times)

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Re: It started down hill when
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 03:35:49 PM »
Ray Christensen wasn't bad.

Once upon a time, September 17, 1983, and Ray Christensen was waxing eloquently along the lines of...

Rozier to the 30, to the 40, to the 50, to the 40...my God is it ever going to end!

::mooning::

::stirpot::

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 06:46:00 PM »

Once upon a time, September 17, 1983, and Ray Christensen was waxing eloquently along the lines of...

Rozier to the 30, to the 40, to the 50, to the 40...my God is it ever going to end!

::laughonfloor::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2014, 07:10:09 AM »

::laughonfloor::

That...the infamous 84-13 pounding the Gophers took in the Metrodome in one of the final years of Joe Salem's reign...

The Huskers played their entire bench and still the score increased throughout the game...

Gophers were pretty much a joke from then on until Mason brought a little respectibility back in the late 90's and mid-00's.  Tim Brewster, who enjoyed a lot of success with QB Tony Eason at IL (and whom MNHawk I'm sure knows is a PolySci major!) was a disaster.  We're coming back a bit under Jerry Kill, but still a ways from Mason's success and may never reach the glory we had 50 some years ago...even the great Lou Holtz could only manage a sub-par 10-12 record in his short two year stint before bolting to Notre Dame.

That Nebraska game was the ultimate humiliation.  And as much as I enjoyed beating the then 24th ranked Huskers 34-23 at home last year, beating a Pelini team isn't the same as beating an Osbourne team, let alone the top ranked team in the nation.  1983 will always be a shameful memory for those who remember it.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2014, 01:26:22 PM »
Some say it was the Mighty Iowa Hawkeyes that gave the Goophers their most embarrassing game in history, in a historic farewell to the Metrodome.  At least Big Ten history, anyway.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2014, 01:29:36 PM »
One bright spot in that Nebraska game was that the Gophers held future NFL great Irving Fryer to only 2 receptions.

For 138 years.

And 2 touchdowns

::dueling::

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2014, 06:53:28 AM »
That be the 55-0 wipe out?  Yeah, not sorry to see the Dome go away after that...

Well, hey...way back in 1960 #3 MN beat #1 Iowa 27-10 to go on to the 1961 Rose Bowl...where we were ranked #1 and got beat by #6 Washington 17-7.

::thinking::

Maybe there is an Iowa curse!   ::speechless::

Nah!

What happened after the Dome?

2009 - At #15 Iowa, lost 12-0.  Hey, it wasn't a blow out!

2010 - Under interim coach Horton, vs #24 Iowa the Gophers won 27-24, yippee!

2011 - First Jerry Kill year, Iowa at home, Gophers won 22-21, 2 in a row!   ::newyear::

2012 - At Iowa, lost 31-13, I think that was y'all's homecoming, thanks for that honor.   ::mooning::

2013 - At home lost 23-7, now we lost 2 in a row.   ::facepalm::

2014 - Scheduled for November 8th at home, starts a nice run where MN has to then finish vs Ohio St, at Nebraska & at Wisconsin...   ::speechless::  FWIW the Iowa game might be the last won the Gophers have a chance to win...

So, 2-3 since 2008, not great, not horrible...

Maybe the curse is weakening?   ::praying::

Should be entertaining anyway.   ::popcorn::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.