Author Topic: Costco ditches American Express  (Read 1455 times)

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Costco ditches American Express
« on: February 13, 2015, 09:55:10 AM »
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2015/02/13/costco-will-stop-accepting-american-express.html

The current agreement is set to end on March 31, 2016, American Express said.

Costco already has replaced American Express with Capital One Financial Corp. as its credit-card issuer in Canada, as of this year.The current agreement is set to end on March 31, 2016, American Express said.

Costco already has replaced American Express with Capital One Financial Corp. as its credit-card issuer in Canada, as of this year.

Sounds kind of dumb on Amex's part.  I would have to think the middle to high middle income shoppers would be a perfect customer base for a credit card.  Oh well.  I've lived most of my life without an Amex card, I supposed I can manage again without.  Just not going to be thrilled if Costco wants to ask me "what's in my wallet."

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Costco ditches American Express
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 10:19:14 AM »
Yeah, this sucks!  I don't want to switch to Crapital Wun!  They hire asswipes like Alek Baldwin!

To Hell with them, I guess I am done in 13 months!   ::mooning::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 01:08:34 PM »
I can tell you that the ONLY major credit card I do not accept is American Express. They are crooks from the start as far as I am concerned. I read the contract and it was the equivalent of you, the retailer are GUILTY and it is YOUR job to prove you are innocent, no matter what our clients took and we guaranteed.  The presumption of guilt left me with a one word answer.

NO.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 01:50:36 PM »
And here I thought they only charged higher fees than VISA & Mastercard and that's why many retailers don't accept them?

Ya learn something new every day!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 05:53:08 PM »
And here I thought they only charged higher fees than VISA & Mastercard and that's why many retailers don't accept them?

That's what I've been told by various retailers.

Amex has recently changed its Terms and Conditions.  There didn't used to be a late fee if the total balance payment was a few/couple days late.  Not anymore.  The late penalty is now 24.79 % of the balance.

Something else:  I was under the impression, from years ago maybe, that if your payment envelope was postmarked before the due date (for any bill), that the payment wasn't considered late.  Also, not anymore.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 03:47:08 PM »

That's what I've been told by various retailers.

Amex has recently changed its Terms and Conditions.  There didn't used to be a late fee if the total balance payment was a few/couple days late.  Not anymore.  The late penalty is now 24.79 % of the balance.

Something else:  I was under the impression, from years ago maybe, that if your payment envelope was postmarked before the due date (for any bill), that the payment wasn't considered late.  Also, not anymore.

Anybody tries to ding me with a late fee I call, and they back down or I skip.  It usually works.  They bank on most people taking it.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 07:40:45 AM »
I don't think I've ever paid a late fee, either.  2 out of 3 (Target and State Farm) valued my continued business more than they valued a one time $39.99 charge.  TCF didn't.  TCF never got their late fee (at the time I had a near dead account with little in it...they started nailing me with a monthly fee and after month two, drew it under zero, triggering an overdraft fee...I told them to bleep off and that I wouldn't deposit funds to cover all those charges), and now would never even be in the running for my must more sizable bank account, post mortgage, pre retirement.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 08:06:14 AM »
Yes, bleep The Crazy Fvckers...they are vultures feasting off fees like no other...

And in this ZIRP/NIRP world, they will rely on it like never before.