Author Topic: REO Speedwagon's Gary Richrath, 65  (Read 1880 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
REO Speedwagon's Gary Richrath, 65
« on: September 14, 2015, 11:35:56 AM »
“I feel so sad. Gary was both a unique guitarist and songwriter, and the embodiment of the tough guy with a heart of gold,” wrote [Lead vocalist Kevin] Cronin. “I learned most of what I know about being in a rock band from Gary Richrath. The entire REO Family mourns his death and shares in the grief of his family, friends, and fans. These words do not come close to expressing the depth of emotions I am feeling at this time.”
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 11:40:05 AM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Re: REO Speedwagon's Gary Richrath, 65
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 02:38:52 PM »
Beat me to it.  REO was huge in Iowa/Illinois long before they became huge nationally.  Although REO still tours, they've never been the same without Gary. 

Gotta say, though, he's looked pretty rough in recent appearances, including the big reunion in Peoria after the tornado.

! No longer available

RIP.  Another piece of my musical childhood gone.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 07:00:29 PM »
REO was the first concert my parents allowed me to go to in the Twin Cities. Until then, I was limited to concerts in our smaller town about an hour away from the metro. They had .38 Special as their opening act. I'll never forget it.

REO has never been one of my very favorite bands, but "Roll with the Changes" has always been one of my all time favorite songs. And as I think I may have pointed out in another thread long ago, it wasn't until listening to this song a few years ago that the Christian allegory smacked me upside the head. It's darn near a worship song.

! No longer available
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 07:18:37 AM »
I saw them in 1976 I think it was, before they really took off commercially, not a huge fan...like most bands of that era I was familiar with most and attended as many concerts as I could because, well...that's where the party would be.
 :D

And concerts back then...well, it was like the wild west, once you made it past security, it was basically an indoor kegger party with all the trimmings!
 ::whoohoo::

And like IDP I do favor "Roll with the changes" over all of their offerings.  "Ridin' the storm out" became overplayed, not a bad song, I just got tired of it, "157 Riverside Ave" was always a hit at concerts because of extended improv, and later into the 80's when "Can't fight this feeling" came out...well, chicks dug it 'nough said.  But "Roll" is still their best song IMO.

R.I.P. Gary
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 07:52:00 AM »
I saw REO once back in Iowa, after they became really big.  I was a little too young for their bar band days.  Who I did see in an intimate gathering was Gary's post REO band.  In a northern suburb...Blaine maybe...performing on the back of a semi flatbed in a mall parking lot.  Awesome show.  Head East opened.  Early 90's.  Hanging out and signing autographs after.

Ended with a Bruce Hall song he basically made his own, with one of the greatest guitar solos of all time, Back on the Road Again.

! No longer available

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 09:03:29 AM »
That's the way to close out a song!   ::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 04:35:52 PM »
  Not a fan but I do admire their talent and sad to see anybody die that young.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie