Author Topic: The Bastard Executioner  (Read 1952 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
The Bastard Executioner
« on: September 16, 2015, 12:29:56 PM »
Caught the premier 2 hour episode of the new Kurt Sutter (Sons of Anarchy creator) historical drama about a war-weary knight in Longshank's army being forced into the role of executioner after vowing to put away his sword.

I enjoyed it. The story was interesting, the production values were good, the acting was good. Typical FX network/Kurt Sutter adult themes. I'm wary of it, because I thought "Sons" went so off the rails that I stopped watching two episodes into the final season after investing all that viewing time. I just lost interest and stopped caring what came next for the characters. So I'll be on the lookout for that here.

I'm already weary of the Jax Teller "I don't want to be a brutal murderer but gosh I just have to" theme. If this show devolves into that, I probably won't keep watching. But I did enjoy last night's premier, and thought I'd pass it along for anyone who liked "Sons".
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: The Bastard Executioner
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 01:57:42 PM »
Thanks, IDP.  I haven't watched, probably won't.  Kurt Sutter's mind is a sewer.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 02:30:10 PM »
Thanks, IDP.  I haven't watched, probably won't.  Kurt Sutter's mind is a sewer.

The arch villain is a disgusting homo. I found that rather refreshing and realistic.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 04:31:08 PM »
  Have it on Tivo and now I can't wait.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 01:36:53 PM »
OK, the season ended last night, and I think this show is among the best I've seen. Right up there with Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, etc. Much better than Sutter's "Sons of Anarchy", at least so far.

It deals less in overt sex and senseless violence than SoA, but both are still present. The arch villain is a loathsome, conniving, bisexual. No cursing that I can remember, which would be natural, since the dialogue is all stylized old-English. The acting is excellent. The plot is intricate. The dialogue is very well-written. The sets are convincing and interesting to look at.

The one thing they've been teasing all season and finally revealed in the finale is the overarching plot, the religious overtones of which many will find distasteful. The main character is of the bloodline of Jesus the Nazarene. The show portrays the historical Jesus as having been a fully human prophet of God, whose deity was created by the church as a mechanism of control. His descendants (Katie Sagal, and now we learn the main character Wilkin Brattle is her son) are charged along with 12 guardian disciples with carrying the truth forward in history, and avoiding the soldiers of the Catholic Church who are on a never-ending quest to kill the bloodline of Jesus so that the church can retain its power.

It's a lot to swallow for those who would be offended by such a portrayal. I'm one who can view such things as mere entertainment, and exploring the possibility that Jesus was fully human is nowhere my mind hasn't gone before, and my faith is still fully in tact. So I'm not real happy that the show is going to make a hero out of a descendant of Jesus, but I can swallow it in the context of a plotline in a fictional TV show. Mrs. IDP had a more averse reaction than I did, though, which is why I'm offering the warning and the reveal. If you don't think you can find such a premise entertaining, you should probably avoid it.

But I loved the show, and can't wait for it's second season. 5 stars.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 02:05:33 PM »
What was this on?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 05:24:05 PM »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 10:51:18 PM »
I just read that the creator pulled the plug and cancelled it

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 12:01:18 PM »
 ::whatgives:: Wow, that bums me out. I guess I was among the few who liked it.

- Thomas Jefferson