Author Topic: Say hello to the Coywolf  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Say hello to the Coywolf
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 11:46:52 AM »
For Pete's sake, it isn't a "new species", it's a damn hybrid is all.  We have them here in NC becaaaaaause the environuts "re-introduced" coyote pairs into five counties in northeastern NC some twenty-or-so years ago, in "protected areas", and they not only did not do well in terms of thriving and reproduction (which is the reason I figure they disappeared from here/there in the first place), they migrated into unprotected areas and mated with what was available, hence the hybrid mix.

And, as the article states, they're bigger than your run-of-the-mill coyote.  Smaller dogs, small animals and chickens tend to go missing around here if not properly tended.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 12:03:47 PM »
You are correct, not new...hybrid...stuff happens and it happens because creatures adapt, always have, always will.

Not sure we have any in this nape of the woods...purebred Coyotes and Wolves...doesn't mean there aren't any, just means maybe the need hasn't arisen yet.

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 03:40:39 PM »
You are correct, not new...hybrid...stuff happens and it happens because creatures adapt, always have, always will.

Not sure we have any in this nape of the woods...purebred Coyotes and Wolves...doesn't mean there aren't any, just means maybe the need hasn't arisen yet.

That coyote that was getting my chickens was usually big. He may have been a crossbreed too-- don't forget the domestic dog... which is probably where my chicken stealing critter came from on side side or another.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 04:48:32 PM »
Yes, like Pan says these hybrids are nothing new.  The animals reintroduced in eastern NC are called red wolves, and are said to be native animals.  But increasingly evidence has suggested that there never was a species called red wolf, and the animals in question were hybrids that arose from crossings between wolves, coyotes, and feral dogs.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 07:18:04 AM »
We see the same thing in the urban zoos...crossbreeding ferals with idiots and such...

::facepalm::