Author Topic: Remember Brendan Eich?  (Read 5482 times)

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Remember Brendan Eich?
« on: January 20, 2016, 11:44:12 AM »
He's back, and I must say, I'm liking where he's headed.  Especially for mobile.

https://brave.com/

A new approach, allowing the ad, but blocking all the nasty stuff that's delivered with ads, so much of the time.  I'll be following this project.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Remember Brendan Eich?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 02:29:45 PM »
Good for him!  A browser to compete with Firefox.  I will be watching as well.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 08:16:35 AM »
Speaking of browsers, what are you all sing these days?
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 08:18:52 AM »
Chrome, but it's as intrusive as any other browser.  I'm open to alternatives not named Microsoft or Apple.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 09:00:41 AM »
Speaking of browsers, what are you all sing these days?

Pale Moon

At work they still insist on the internet exploder but they've jammed it up so many ways it's now completely worthless instead of it's mostly worthless ;'}  Pages won't load, pages won't properly display, content missing, downloading files virtually eliminated.

Because PM is a renegade browser none of their policies apply to it and consequently I can still do stuff on it.

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 04:40:30 PM »
It seems we go through periods of really terrible web browsers.   Currently we are in one of those periods.   All the majors have major problems,  either by design,  or lack of debugging.   All of them are terribly bloated (though that isn't only a browser problem)  Some of other terrible periods was about 1996 and 2002ish.    1996 was due mostly to microsoft playing catch up by dumping the turd of a browser of internet exploder on the world.  2002 when security was becoming a problem (largely due again to microsoft lack of security). 

I wish adobe flash and most java scripting would vanish from the internet.   Both drive me nuts at times.  Neither work right,  and are worse when they are used in bad ways (like ads).   On both old and new computers,  any os and browser it seems.   Even brings a computer with 8 gb ram to its knees.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 07:06:46 AM »
It seems we go through periods of really terrible web browsers.   Currently we are in one of those periods.   All the majors have major problems,  either by design,  or lack of debugging.   All of them are terribly bloated (though that isn't only a browser problem)  Some of other terrible periods was about 1996 and 2002ish.    1996 was due mostly to microsoft playing catch up by dumping the turd of a browser of internet exploder on the world.  2002 when security was becoming a problem (largely due again to microsoft lack of security). 

I wish adobe flash and most java scripting would vanish from the internet.   Both drive me nuts at times.  Neither work right,  and are worse when they are used in bad ways (like ads).   On both old and new computers,  any os and browser it seems.   Even brings a computer with 8 gb ram to its knees.

I'll give a hearty AMEN! to that.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 10:30:21 AM »
I personally detest Java.  I get the role it fills (cross platform scalability), and if properly implemented it can be seamless.  Most of the time though embedded Java components are obtrusive and firing off multiple security alerts, and the Java Runtime has gone from lax security to paranoid security, so everything requires confirmations and exceptions.  I also find some poorly developed Java apps don't know how to handle a more recent JRE, and just assume it must be out of date, and will refuse to execute.

For the last reason I have to maintain a virtual machine with a really old version of Internet Explorer and an equally old version of the JRE in order to interact with some of the embedded systems on wide format printers we use at work.  It's a PITA.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 12:52:25 PM »
I personally detest Java.  I get the role it fills (cross platform scalability), and if properly implemented it can be seamless.  Most of the time though embedded Java components are obtrusive and firing off multiple security alerts, and the Java Runtime has gone from lax security to paranoid security, so everything requires confirmations and exceptions.  I also find some poorly developed Java apps don't know how to handle a more recent JRE, and just assume it must be out of date, and will refuse to execute.

For the last reason I have to maintain a virtual machine with a really old version of Internet Explorer and an equally old version of the JRE in order to interact with some of the embedded systems on wide format printers we use at work.  It's a PITA.

Yes and yes and yes!

The IT folks at work can't figure out the dichotomy that you can't have them all the same (workstation computers) and have them do an endless variety of tasks. It simply does not compute.

We have people who need to use terminal emulator applications to talk to mainframes. The app they use leverages Java but, because of slipshod programming, it requires a specific build of Java. So one set of engineers installs a mix of software that works and then another bunch of engineers comes along and clean-slates every damned computer in the joint with the "latest n greatest" - breaking stuff wholesale. And then a third group comes along to try to fix what the first two did.

Computers would be great....if we could only eliminate the people who use them.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 09:41:41 AM »

Yes and yes and yes!

The IT folks at work can't figure out the dichotomy that you can't have them all the same (workstation computers) and have them do an endless variety of tasks. It simply does not compute.

We have people who need to use terminal emulator applications to talk to mainframes. The app they use leverages Java but, because of slipshod programming, it requires a specific build of Java. So one set of engineers installs a mix of software that works and then another bunch of engineers comes along and clean-slates every damned computer in the joint with the "latest n greatest" - breaking stuff wholesale. And then a third group comes along to try to fix what the first two did.

Computers would be great....if we could only eliminate the people who use them.

Yes, I used to be responsible for building and deploying our desktop system images, and I found no good way to accommodate that other than maintaining 2-3 different images depending on the user.  Now with virtualization it's much easier to maintain.  All of our users are assigned a virtual desktop in the cloud.

But the situation with Java is no better than it has always been.  Some of the apps are just stubborn, and hard coded to reject any JRE that doesn't match the version number the app expects.  A far better solution IMO is embedded web servers.  The cross platform box is checked because all the user needs is a web browser, and they can do that on any type of system.

Java, Flash, and ActiveX are all technologies that can't go away fast enough for me.

- Yours Truly

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 06:37:27 PM »
It took me awhile, as I didn't like the android version and it's "bubbles" but am now trying the PC version and this thing is smooooth.

Facebook is a little flakey (so what) but everything else works better than Chrome.  Remember, websites were starting to get around ad blocker.  Not Brave.   ::thumbsup::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 09:58:52 PM »
Downloaded it just now...dropped out of Opera and jumped into Brave...it is smooth, and quick.  No busyness or junk.   ::thumbsup::

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 11:33:26 AM »
Yeah I'm trying it now.  It's definitely a fast browser.  Has a few quirks.  The tool to import from Firefox freezes up on my Mac.  Haven't tried the PC version yet.  I like it pretty well.

- Yours Truly

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 06:04:26 PM »
All music guide won't work with it.  Their ad block detection is world class, I guess.  Bloomberg does (another site that required ad block be turned off.)  Forbes does too.  Adobe flash video isn't part of it, either.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2016, 10:27:33 PM »
All music guide won't work with it.  Their ad block detection is world class, I guess.  Bloomberg does (another site that required ad block be turned off.)  Forbes does too.  Adobe flash video isn't part of it, either.

You can get Flash working if you install Adobe's Pepper Flash.  Go into Preferences-->Security and there's a slider to enable Flash that has a link to the plug-in you must install.

- Yours Truly

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2016, 07:18:21 PM »
 ::thumbsup::

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 11:46:35 PM »
Road testing Pale Moon. Really diggin' it so far. ::cool::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2016, 02:41:38 PM »
I've been liking Brave so far.  Has a couple of quirks with scripting, but that's probably due to its privacy enforcement preventing certain client-side scripting from running.  It's definitely a fast, snappy browser.

I'll have to give Pale Moon a shot and see how it is.

- Yours Truly

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2016, 08:09:41 PM »
Unfortunately, Brave won't work on my laptop. I'm running Ubuntu x86. Brave only supports x64. ::bashing::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2016, 09:17:06 PM »
I got confused...I thought Pale Moon was a beer...or my arse after a lot of beer?  Oh heck, I'll do all the above!