Author Topic: Suspending a Telephone Number into the cloud.  (Read 1252 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Suspending a Telephone Number into the cloud.
« on: July 06, 2016, 04:59:46 PM »
So my Big Employer ABC decided that I MUST use a number on their plan, using a device they choose.  I have played this game before.. if I let them have my current number then it goes into their corporate account and if I leave, its near impossible to get anyone to call up the carrier and tell them to give me my number back . But then I don't want to pay for a cell phone I won't be using. 

And would the carrier simply suspend the phone and the number - yes. Once. For 6 months.  I asked if there was a permanent forward service I could pay for, where my device would go away and my old  number would just forward to the new one. Nope.  Well, big carrier XYZ I work in telephony and I know about SS7 Ports.   Gee I wonder if there are companies that just park numbers for a small fee. 

Sure enough, yeppers there are.  I went with number barn. $2 a month for playing a recorded message when called.  $6 a month for 300 minutes of forwarded calls from that number.  They also have an app that allows you what number to call FROM on the forwarded phone.  i.e - my business phone can call out  using my old number as well as get calls from my old number. Hmm, it seems like the sort of service a large cell carrier should offer if they wanted to keep customers...

There were other companies as well,  but this appeared cheapest..  So if any of you all find your self with a number you want to keep and a phone plan you aren't interested in paying for..  this is the ticket.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Suspending a Telephone Number into the cloud.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 07:05:35 AM »
Interesting, did not know such an option existed.

And this -

"Hmm, it seems like the sort of service a large cell carrier should offer if they wanted to keep customers..."

OK, that just made me snort and giggle!   ::hysterical::

BigCommCo wants full price and doesn't care about low usage, they figure that's the customers damn problem!  Too many businesses think that way.  They act like they are Fedcoats and the people they fleece are not customers...they're barely domesticated animals who need to be led by the nose and slapped around.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 08:59:45 PM »
Attended the retirement parties for several of my work-buddies this week. Today one of the guys who is leaving told me that the company is letting him keep his phone number. He had - wait for it - 46 years on the job! He had the same phone number for so many years that it was literally a part of him.

I thought it a nice gesture from an increasingly crappy company.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 07:29:00 AM »
A rare random act of courtesy. 

Personally I probably won't know retirement...I'll either die in this job, die in some other job...or the SHTF...retirement seems like a pipe-dream from my perspective.

I do have a little envy for those who made it though...I just know I don't have that kind of destiny before me...

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 05:08:52 PM »

Personally I probably won't know retirement...I'll either die in this job, die in some other job...or the SHTF...retirement seems like a pipe-dream from my perspective.

Add me to that list. Sadly, I can't blame the government. I didn't think I would live to see 30, so why save? Then I reached 30 and decided I wanted to live to an old age. A little late to start saving, but I've done what I can.

But then again, if the government would let me keep more of my money....
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 06:24:43 PM »

Add me to that list. Sadly, I can't blame the government. I didn't think I would live to see 30, so why save? Then I reached 30 and decided I wanted to live to an old age. A little late to start saving, but I've done what I can.

But then again, if the government would let me keep more of my money....

If only...

::gaah::