Author Topic: iGen/Gen-Z  (Read 672 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
iGen/Gen-Z
« on: August 08, 2016, 03:35:36 PM »
I'm no expert and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn (not that that makes anybody any smarter!)...but some of the stuff here I see in relatives and strangers that fall into this group that seems reasonable...

https://www.visioncritical.com/generation-z-infographics/

I think the main thing is these kids are a little more skeptical, watch less TV, hates ads and invasion of privacy (more on that later), are more entrepreneurial and technologically social and better educated than their Millennial predecessors...so I think from that respect they are an upgrade from the Millennials who mostly seem to want to piss and moan about everything and have their dreams handed to them.  The 8 second attention span can be read a couple different ways, the friendly way being they like to be thought of having a fine-tuned radar and don't want their time wasted...I can relate to that...but making judgments that quickly normally is not a finely honed skill of the young...it takes time, experience and the accumulation of knowledge and wisdom to really hone it, otherwise it is merely good intuition and/or pure luck.  And if applied incorrectly it could cause people to think you are a dunce with a truly short attention span, or worse yet they'll think you're stupid and an asshole.  And the privacy issue is interesting...given their iStuff generation never being without connected devices...do they even know the NSA is Hoovering everything?  I'm guessing not, or they don't think they are a true target and their bitcoins are safe.

Anyway, my nephew is an example...really smart, personable, fun...likes playing COD and streaming stuff on his iPhone and doing Snapchat's and such...but still normal kid who likes sports (hockey & lacrosse), fishing, bonfires...does have a short attention span but once you engage it he'll stay with you.

All in all not a perfect generation, but for sure better than Millennials and no worse than my generation...well, the non-hippie part of it anyway...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.