Author Topic: Alabama Oil Pipeline Rupture Wreaks Havoc on Southeast  (Read 1946 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Alabama Oil Pipeline Rupture Wreaks Havoc on Southeast
« on: September 18, 2016, 11:03:04 AM »
... some folks in the Deep South are seeing flashbacks to the '70s, with shortages and outages at the pump, thanks to a pipeline rupture in Shelby County, in central Alabama.

Colonial Pipeline, the company that operate the broken pipeline, initially estimated that 225,000 gallons of gasoline spilled, but estimates range as high as 338,000 gallons. This particular pipeline runs from New York City to Houston and normally transports upwards of 1.3 million gallons every day.

... "Based on current projections and consultations with industry partners, parts of Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, North Carolina and South Carolina will be the first markets to be impacted by any potential disruption in supply."

Two articles (there was a link in PJ's piece) and neither one states exactly when this happened, although the pipeline was shut down on Friday.

We're already seeing dry pumps here in NC, particularly in the rural-rural areas.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Alabama Oil Pipeline Rupture Wreaks Havoc on Southeast
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 11:29:50 AM »
Yeah I just heard about this yesterday, but apparently the rupture occurred early last week.  Glad all that local-state-federal integration and menagerie of alphabet soup agencies worked out so well.  /sarc

I filled my tank last night because I figured there'd be outages by the time the work week rolls around.  I remember when this happened about 10 years ago during Katrina and some of the other hurricanes.  We couldn't find gas for about 2 weeks.  It would periodically show up at random stations and you had to be in the right place at the right time.

Don't get me started on the "anti-gouging law" either.  Whole lot of economic illiterates in this world.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 03:09:30 PM »
This should serve as a sobering reminder of just how fragile our subsystems are bound together. One little interruption and vast segments fall like dominoes. Is anyone giving projections on restoration times?

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 03:10:43 PM »
This should serve as a sobering reminder of just how fragile our subsystems are bound together. One little interruption and vast segments fall like dominoes. Is anyone giving projections on restoration times?

Oh, and it reminds me (painfully) of my poor begotten van with its twin 30 gallon fuel tanks...

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 03:36:16 PM »

Oh, and it reminds me (painfully) of my poor begotten van with its twin 30 gallon fuel tanks...

Oh boo!  Know what you mean.  We had a Ford pickup with twin 25-gal. tanks.  And no anti-siphon screening.  Miss that sucker.

ETR:  Wednesday or Thursday.  We'll see.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 04:32:11 PM »
Are these the same people that don't want refineries in their back yard?
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 04:52:07 PM »
Or more pipelines so as to transport product.  Because energy comes off the fingertips of retards who majored in Poli Sci. 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 09:14:36 PM »
So, was this a case of crumbling infrastructure risks reaching their natural potential due to government overregulation and/or sabotage by a leftist loon eager to see natures beauty destroyed by evil oil?

Whatever, Obama & the Dem's are about as friendly to sane oil policy as they are sane coal policy...with a special thanks-for-nothing-you-assholes!  for the no-hill-worth-fighting-for Pubbies.

Fricken stupid on so many levels all I wanna do his beat face in!!!   ::outrage::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 07:21:15 AM »

H/T WRSA

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 09:35:14 AM »
It's frustrating to me, listening to the radio this morning and hearing people vent their anxieties about the lack of gas.  The gas should be flowing again by Thursday or Friday, so, there will be about one week's shortage and too few of these folks, despite being told repeatedly to prepare for this, or worse, have a damn can of gas put up.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 10:08:09 AM »
It's frustrating to me, listening to the radio this morning and hearing people vent their anxieties about the lack of gas.  The gas should be flowing again by Thursday or Friday, so, there will be about one week's shortage and too few of these folks, despite being told repeatedly to prepare for this, or worse, have a damn can of gas put up.

I know.  It really is a preview of what's to come when even worse happens.  I keep 4 jerry cans full at all times.  I figure 20 gallons will at least give me enough to fill the car if I need to bug out when no fuel is available.  I slowly rotate through the stock by using it in the lawnmower, so it never gets too old.

- Yours Truly

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 05:17:40 PM »
On the subject of pipelines,  or lack of them,  or the old age of some of them.    One of the local Chicago papers,  which I am surprised didn't cause much of a stink with the green crowd,  reported on the age of a pipeline running down to my area in Northwest Indiana, that runs through both upper and lower Michigan from Canada.    The pipeline is over 60 years old,  installed just before or during the early 1950's.   It crosses the great lakes under the Mackinac Bridge (through the water on the bottom,  not the bridge,  since the bridge wasn't there yet). 

Do you honestly believe any oil company has a chance in h*ll of even getting a replacement built that goes through or over the lake (like on the bridge itself)? 

Granted,  there is likely nothing really wrong with that line,  but this anti-oil nonsense only insures that oil lines get very old.   
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 05:25:24 PM by richb »

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 10:18:32 PM »
And how long has it been since a new refinery was built in this country?  It was sometime in the early 80s I believe.  Liberals keep pushing the idea that unicorn farts are a viable alternative.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 07:17:49 AM »
Progressives are actually regressives...they have an unbridled lust to see the engine of the world collapse...I think they truly ache to see mankind returned to a state of absolute serfdom so they can lord over their empires big and small and rule like the petty monarchs they are.

Trouble is, there are enough about to ensure that any such easy transfer into that new nobility is met with bloody hostility.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 11:10:12 AM »
Progressives are actually regressives...they have an unbridled lust to see the engine of the world collapse...I think they truly ache to see mankind returned to a state of absolute serfdom so they can lord over their empires big and small and rule like the petty monarchs they are.

Trouble is, there are enough about to ensure that any such easy transfer into that new nobility is met with bloody hostility.

Agreed.

Ultimately their goal is a much reduced global population, by orders of magnitude, with themselves as the aristocracy of a new techno-feudalism.  They dress this up in various garb, mostly appeals to ecology and environmentalism.

I have no illusions about stopping them without it getting to the point of bringing out Dr. Guillotin's famous invention.

- Yours Truly