Author Topic: IRS to send out letters to those that haven't bought health insurance.  (Read 741 times)

Offline richb

• Established Member
If you haven't signed up for health insurance, you could soon be getting a not-too-subtle nudge from the taxman

http://frontpage.pch.com/story/369874/personalized-irs-letters-nudge-uninsured-to-get-coverage?category=busines

better link

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2017/01/14/personalized-irs-letters-nudge-uninsured-get-coverage/96570652/

In a further waste of tax dollars (to the tune of about 4 million) the IRS will send out reminder letters to those of us who haven't bothered to buy health insurance.   Never mind that that requirement hopefully will be going away soon.   

I think I saw this story a few months ago at other media outlets.   So the AP is months late on reporting it. 

IMHO,  any fines from past years should be refunded to those who got stuck paying it.    Yeah, I know I am dreaming.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 10:09:24 PM by richb »

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Re: IRS to send out letters to those that haven't bought health insurance.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 05:07:15 PM »
Heh.  Publishers Clearinghouse won't let me read the story because they're geoblocking me.

Ya, taking the time to sign on to my VPN isn't worth it.  Technically I need another 4 1/2 months of being out of the country to be totally free of any Obamacare requirements.

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 10:07:34 PM »
It's an AP story so here it is somewhere else.      I haven't gotten the letter yet,  since I don't,  won't and can't get insurance.   I will post if it shows up.   

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2017/01/14/personalized-irs-letters-nudge-uninsured-get-coverage/96570652/

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 07:51:12 AM »
Do what Progs do, not what they say...ignore it.

Once that abomination is repealed there will be no need for any aspect of it, and in the meantime Trump could issue an EO killing it...afer all how many times did O'Butthead exceed his authority in implementing it?
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 12:49:36 AM »
Unfortunately, I am starting to think,  the Republican "replacement" will likely have a very similar mandatory individual requirement for insurance.  The precedent has been set (and the Supremes have consented as well) I won't be surprised if the individual mandate remains or only goes away for a short time. 

Especially if they intend on saving pre-existing "insurance"  which is popular with those who have gotten insurance (or think they have) that way.  Those people are getting lots of press as it seems to be going away, and it will be used as a weapon against Republicans.    Note that Donald remarked about insurance for "everybody" today.   

He forgets that some us really don't need it at this point in my life,  at least until I am older and more importantly,  have money to actually buy it.   Nor that the government has no right to force me to buy something I DON'T WANT.  Trump may think insurance for all is the best for all,  even though its not. 

Don't forget many Republicans are as bad as Democrats when it comes to government "action".  And equal disregard for fundamental rights of  individual citizens over government.

Whatever the Republicans come up could be as bad as Obamacare or worse.   Or make it easy for Obamacare to come back (without new laws) under the next president,  who almost certainly will be a Bernie Sanders type. 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 09:22:19 AM »
Yeah, I posted the latest in PubbieCare in this thread.

I don't want a fricken replacement!  This whole sorry ass thing started because Progs kept beating and bleating their "uninsured" over Pubbie heads.

I'm not saying anything should have happened, but what happened was a pure leftist hijacking of one minor issue and using to takeover an entire industry, an industry already dominated by government via Medicare and the FDA...should have simply made interstate pooled insurance coverage available for the uninsured to purchase in the private sector on a voluntary basis at the most and told the left to go bleep themselves if they didn't like it!

But Pubbie's are weak little twits missing man-parts, so this is what you get...

::outrage::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.