Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 229168 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #880 on: April 26, 2017, 07:39:00 PM »
Jeesh!

http://www.thewrap.com/disney-pushes-fifth-indiana-jones-film-2020/

It looked like he was close to needing a walker in The Force Awakens...lucky for him he's out of those now...is he gonna kick in this flick too?

They're still not sure that it's over,  Trust me it's over,
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #881 on: May 19, 2017, 09:05:31 PM »
Just saw "Alien: Covenant". As a huge fan of the original, and someone who enjoyed the entire franchise to one degree or another, this movie was the absolute worst. No, I don't mean the worst of the franchise, although it was definitely that. I mean it was just about the worst movie ever made. For all of the justified complaints that "Prometheus" was disjointed and incoherent, this film was ten times worse, with a heaping dose of awful. Don't bother.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #882 on: May 20, 2017, 10:10:44 AM »
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #883 on: May 20, 2017, 12:12:29 PM »
Sorry to hear Alien Covenant sucked. I had hopes....

My family is off at Guardians of the Galaxy while I am stuck here on a weekend shift. 

Did anyone take my advice and see Your Name?

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #884 on: May 21, 2017, 01:55:52 PM »
Interesting take on it IDP.  I saw it too.  I didn't think it was the worst, I think Alien Resurrection and the Aliens vs. Predator movies own that title.  I do think Scott is trying too hard at making some deep and pseudo-religious mythology for the franchise though.  I liked it much better when all we had was speculation about what the creatures are and where they came from -- most likely some sort of bioweapon created by the equally mysterious alien race that piloted the crashed spaceship.

My main complaint about Covenant is the pacing was too fast. The first film was sometimes criticized for its slow pacing, but that was how it built up a brooding suspense that turned to horror as events unfolded. This one was just sort of bang-bang-bang this event, now this event, roll credits. I almost got the impression Scott is rushing us through it to get to his next one.

I don't know how much you follow the franchise in general (it's my 2nd favorite sci-fi universe after Star Wars) but there is a lot of speculation that Scott is basically trying to preempt other Alien films that were in the early stages. There was a sequel film that was going to bring back the survivors from Aliens (Ripley, Hicks, and Newt) and cut Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection out of the canon. Sounds like Scott wanted to put the kibosh on that.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #885 on: May 21, 2017, 06:10:53 PM »
I even liked AVP better than this. But I suppose I owe some rationale...
***SPOILERS***
As I said, I am a big fan of the franchise. I think the original is a masterpiece in any genre, and I felt that all the sequels were either good, or at the very least, worth watching. I liked 3 because of the dark setting of the prison. Resurrection was OK. AVP was watchable because it was, well, AVP. Suspending disbelief to enjoy the galaxy's most badass hunter hunting the most badass alien wasn't too tough for me.

I really loved what Prometheus TRIED to do, even though on some levels it failed. Visually it was stunning. The characters were interesting - particularly Shaw. The situation was true enough to the xenomorph canon that the variations were acceptable. I thought the way they danced around the edges of the human origin story - or at least alien involvement in the human origin story - was interesting. The way they played it out into no satisfactory answer left me frustrated and unsatisfied with a movie that I otherwise really enjoyed a lot - but eager for the sequel.

Which leads me to "Covenant". It took the setup from Prometheus and went absolutely nowhere with it. The only thing the Prometheus film served in this movie was explaining the presence of David and a hat-tip to Shaw. Not only were no questions about the intriguing connections suggested in Prometheus answered, but more, even less interesting questions were left hanging, and by the end, I didn't really care whether or not I ever get the answers.

The plot was sooooo predicatable - except when it wasn't. What I mean by that is, it seemed that either a) I was leaning over to my wife and predicting the next plot device, or b) the plot went somewhere that made no sense and offered no interesting advancement to the film.

The characters were boring. The female lead was bland, uninteresting, and offered no mettle in the tradition of Ripley or Shaw.

The variation to the xenomorph (microscopic insect swarm) seemed contrived for the sole purpose of CGI. The CGI aliens aren't nearly as terrifying as the creatively superior aliens from the very first film in the 1970s.

The David/Walter thing was broadcast from across the galaxy. Was ANYBODY surprised when it wasn't Walter?

I'll say one good thing about it. Michael Fassbender is a very good actor. It's a pity his talent (and the awesome character he created in Prometheus) were squandered in this film.

When its sequel comes out, I will wait until it is on free TV, unless someone I trust spends their money before me and convinces me they've corrected their mistakes.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 06:19:54 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #887 on: May 27, 2017, 11:21:00 PM »
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Very good movie.  One is aware of the "twist" and can almost ...... almost ...... see it coming.  Brad Pitt, Kate Blanchett.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #888 on: May 28, 2017, 09:43:19 PM »
 I love the Alien movies....but I really didn't like Covenant. I didn't like the "solar flare" and the "helmet massage", or whatever the hell it was, which led to scrapping their mission for the new one. I didn't like the " married" angle and the token gay guys, which we get fed every flick, it seems.

The captain.....and the angle he had faith, was weak.....plus, he was really stupid, he deserved the alien bug implant...how the crew was killed off, it was just poor. The predictability was nauseating, especially the end because if you didn't figure out the switch, then you had already fell asleep in the theater. And the female, she survives and for a fleeting moment seemed to figure out she was putting her life in the hands of the wrong synthetic, which could have led to a cool twist, but no, I guess she won't live in the cabin by the woods. Stupid bitch.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #889 on: May 28, 2017, 09:50:18 PM »
One last comment.....The funniest part of the flick was once we left and my wife commented the android was right and humans didn't deserve to save the race if this was the best and brightest left on earth. Looks like democrats finally ruled the earth.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #890 on: May 29, 2017, 12:35:41 PM »
So Alien: Covenant has dropped like a rock at the box office.  It's 2nd weekend earnings are like 80% down from the opening weekend.  I think Scott is to a certain extent suffering from the same thing that took hold of George Lucas -- he simply can't tell his own stories anymore.

I think the Alien fanbase would have been much more interested in the rumored sequel that was set to bring back Ripley and Hicks (and thus writing off Alien 3 and Resurrection).  I would be more interested in that, but it's probably never happening now.

- Yours Truly

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #891 on: May 29, 2017, 02:34:44 PM »
Looking forward to this...

! No longer available

Blade Runner 2049
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #892 on: May 30, 2017, 07:02:21 AM »
How about Logan's Run?  Carousel might be more humane an end than what the current batch of statist clowns have in store for us, eh?

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #893 on: May 30, 2017, 08:28:04 PM »
How about Logan's Run?  Carousel might be more humane an end than what the current batch of statist clowns have in store for us, eh?

Jessica 6   ::pimp::

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #894 on: May 31, 2017, 06:46:19 AM »

Jessica 6   ::pimp::

:D

867-5309/Jenny by Tommy Tutone.  Who else could he be signing about? 

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #895 on: July 20, 2017, 08:30:10 PM »
Te good news.. there will be a Full Metal Alchemist Live action movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihc964sRt8M

The bad news.. despite this being one of the most widely seen Anime of all time, popular world wide, set in a fictitious European country,  the main character, Edward Aldric, a blond  white kid, will be played by a Asian with a bad hair dye job. Because we all know you couldn't possibly find a blond who speaks Japanese fluently.   I am sure the other characters will also  suffer... In a movie that will have world wide appeal,  whose characters are naturally diverse, including Asian, and middle eastern,  they cast a Japanese guy as a blonde. His hair is no where near long enough either.

Also got to see Koe No Katachi.. which beat our Mokoto Sinkai's "Your Name" for best Animation of the year.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/28851/Koe_no_Katachi

Well, the Animation was pretty and well done, and many say  it is as emotionally moving as 'Your Name.' - but not for me it wasn't. Its a fine well made movie but  I didn't like the characters, found them frustrating and pathetic and really couldn't get into this one.   

I think its "An  Affair to Remember" phenomenon - I have met many  women for which
"An  Affair to Remember" is a crying-inducing, heartfelt romance.  For me its about two disgusting people who cheat on their spouses, and  then can't communicate well enough past the needs of their own hurt feelings,  ego and pride  to discover that they still want a relationship.  And I am supposed to care if they get together?  They can't even communicate well enough to continue a courtship, and I should be expected to care about their longer term relationship?

SPOILERS: If you are going to see Koe No Katachi. stop reading.

The story opens wit a teenage boy contemplating suicide as a teenager in High School. Why?  Because he bullied a deaf girl in grade school, felt guilty and decided he was unworthy of ever having a friend again in his life.  He went to apologize to the girl before offing himself, and instead pledges to be her friend, and she basically grants him the opportunity - so I suppose he is obligated to stay alive- especially after his mother discovers his clever plan to kill himself by noticing he has a calendar where he has written what he needs to do before he dies and then labels one   "the last day"  with  the remaining days of the month torn away.  She extracts a promise to not kill himself by threatening to burn the money to "pay her back"  he sold all of his possessions to obtain.

Why does he owe is mom Money? Well because he was a little sh*t in grade school. He picked on a deaf girl for talking funny- stole and broke  her hearing aids, and his mom had to pay for them.. Of course  he wasn't the only little sh*t. He had two guy friends, one of whom he routinely was bullying, and a "Mean Girl" friend who also had her enabling friend. When the news of the hearing aids reaches adult ears a senior school  administrator enters the class and asks the child responsible to own up.. no one does, so the teacher asks our main character to admit to it ( if he knew why did he do nothing to stop it? )  His friends testify against him , suggesting they were trying to stop it, instead of being willful participants.  As a result the main character is bullied  and shunned by the other students, and he decides he deserves it, and starts to withdraw from everyone.  ( Find a character who sounds cool yet?)

The deaf girl accepts the bullying for the most part, gives a little smile and vainly tries to still be friends with her bullies. She befriends on girl in the class who abandons her ( and leaves the school)  when she is similarly targeted.  Even after our main bully is outted, the deaf girl is cleaning slurs off of his desk before he sees them. His response? He blames her and starts slapping her around ( literally) for ruining his life.. which then gives us te ONLY satisfying moment in the film, where she kicks him off and pummels him yelling she is trying her best.  Soon after she leaves the school as well.

The flashback ends, and our bully is deliberately not interacting wit anyone and therefore has no friends. These grade school friends all go to different schools save one.  ( Te girl who enabled the mean girl)  He stops the bullying of some other person  and as a result gets a "friend" - who then encourages him to continue seeing the deaf girl - who then says she would like to  find the girl who abandoned her in grade school. He does so by asking the one girl still attending is school. As a result he make her a friend again, along with her boyfriend.  IN that same neighborhood he sees the mean girl, and she makes an overture to be friends wit him again. He is cold to her and rejects her but she is persistent and ends up attempting to bully the deaf girl again. She convinces him to go to an amusement park where she arranges for him to meet with his own enabler. He coldly rejects him as well.  This pisses mean girl off to te point where she takes the deaf girl aside, tells her she hates her for breaking up their friendships, and when she apologizes ( because she always tries to make nice with her tormentors)  Mean girl starts slapping her around ( again, literally)  The situation devolves from there - Mean girl tries to get the co-conspirators to admit their wrong doing in grade school. Her enabler denies it, and instead decides to make it well known in high school  that our bully was a little sh*t in grade school. Her boyfriend tells the bully he is a terrible person. The girl who abandoned the situation the first time, abandons it again, and again out "hero" feels isolated again, and the deaf girl who witnesses this massive blowup decides that mean girl is right and she is at fault... ::gaah::

The bully decides to try and make deaf girl happy and throws all of his effort into doing things every day with her.. and then , yes, She attempts suicide by jumping from a balcony. The bully saves her, but falls in the process, and ends up at deaths door in a hospital bed.  Mean girl comes to take care of  him, blames the deaf girl even more and ends up beating the crap out of her and breaking her arm. Deaf girl just feels more guilty till our main hero recovers and they forgive each other in what I am sure is supposed to be the big moment of the movie.  The group prepares to welcome him back to school, and he is back to thinking himself unworthy of friendship, so tries to reject their welcome and hides in a bathroom. But tey love him and get him out..   Then there is a final confrontation between mean girl and deaf girl,  were mean girl signs "stupid" wrong and gets corrected by deaf girl ( A Victory of standing yup to your bully!) who then storms off to get food.  Meanwhile  the bully realizes what he should have realized sometime between grade school and high school - everyone is a little sh*t as a kid, some people get better, and forgiveness is required, and suddenly he feels like he is worthy of being talked to again.  The end.
 ::doh::

Its so emotional and heartfelt.  Bah. Yes Little kids are sh*ts. Yes sometimes they get better, and sometimes they don't, but it happened in grade school . Get the f*ck over it.  If you met your grade school bully ( or the kid you bullied)   in High School - or later- would you really still find that crap relevant beyond perhaps an admission that someone was sorry and a promise that we aren't doing that again?

Meanwhile...

'Your name' is being released in Japan next week. available as a pre-order on Amazon and totally should have won best anime last year. I guarantee it will be the best body-swapping, time travel, romantic disaster movie you will ever see.  I fell petty damn sappy liking it so much.  Just a bit surprised how little I was emotionally involved in this  other one vs. 'your name'

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #896 on: July 20, 2017, 08:39:24 PM »
  We went to watch the Minions.

https://youtu.be/EKbWvGLC97Q
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #897 on: August 01, 2017, 10:30:33 PM »
Okay so I got my imported  copy of "Your Name" late Friday night. It was released in Japan on Wednesday. My shipping cost? $8.
Amazon.co.jp estimated a delivery on Saturday or Sunday. I check out DHLs tracking and its scheduled for Friday. Cool I thought, but then it got caught up in the same sorting center in Japan the next day.. guess Saturday or Sunday will be it , right? Amazon.co.jp sends me a letter that via Google Translate is hilarious Eng-grish.  But basically it was "We so sorry, we will kill ourselves, but your package was delayed by a day, and we will give you refund"  - Ha. I was expecting a 2 week ship time. DHL had  it at my door 6:30 Friday night.  At 7:00  I am watching it.  First time seeing it with subtitles ( no dub on the import- and no date on a real American release either)   Friends who saw both subtitled and subbed versions in the theater said the subtitles were better, and they were right... but the differences were slight. But this film was as good again as the first time I saw it.

Still expensive, but they can be had from Amazon.com for $50 on pre-order (aug 4th)

https://www.amazon.com/Your-Name-Blu-ray/dp/B07258V1DG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501644109&sr=8-1&keywords=your+name

, or you can order direct from Japan for $35 + shipping = around $42-44 depending on the current exchange rate.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E5%90%9B%E3%81%AE%E5%90%8D%E3%81%AF-Blu-ray%E3%82%B9%E3%82%BF%E3%83%B3%E3%83%80%E3%83%BC%E3%83%89-%E3%82%A8%E3%83%87%E3%82%A3%E3%82%B7%E3%83%A7%E3%83%B3-%E6%97%A9%E6%9C%9F%E8%B3%BC%E5%85%A5%E7%89%B9%E5%85%B8-%E7%89%B9%E8%A3%BD%E3%83%95%E3%82%A3%E3%83%AB%E3%83%A0%E3%81%97%E3%81%8A%E3%82%8A%E4%BB%98%E3%81%8D-%E7%A5%9E%E6%9C%A8%E9%9A%86%E4%B9%8B%E4%BB%8B/dp/B07258V1DG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1501644163&sr=8-5&keywords=your+name

Yes. I know. Its a lot for a single  film.  But there is a reason its the highest world-wide grossing Japanese made film ever.  As I said when I first encouraged everyone to see Voices from a Distant Star.. it was like watching Tarantino progress towards Pulp Fiction. This film is probably Mokoto Shinkai's  Opus. ( but I hope not. I hope there are more like this..)
I guarantee it will be  the best body swapping, time travel, romantic disaster movie you will ever see.

And if I am wrong and you hate it , PM me. I will buy your copy for what you paid + shipping + shipping to me.  I will have no problem finding people to gift it to  :)

Or you can wait an indeterminate amount of time till they release it in the States. The Japanese are too willing to pay high prices for DVD/Bluray so they delay US releases sometimes for years to prevent back importation at prices Americans will pay .. or wait even longer for someone to stream it. . or pirate it.. sadly I don't have a bluray ripper.. yet.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 10:40:55 PM by Weisshaupt »

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #898 on: August 01, 2017, 11:19:57 PM »
When is that film gonna be released in the USA?

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #899 on: August 02, 2017, 05:26:51 AM »
There are at least a dozen rips in a.b.multimedia.anime.highspeed

Just sayin...

If I hate it, I will be looking for that refund.   ;D