Author Topic: $108,000 electric car breaks down during Consumer Reports test  (Read 2058 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
(Play top video while you read!)
 ::hysterical::
Benny Hill Theme

Bad Karma: Our Fisker Karma plug-in hybrid breaks down (Consumer Reports)

Our Fisker Karma cost us $107,850. It is super sleek, high-tech—and now it’s broken.

We have owned our car for just a few days; it has less than 200 miles on its odometer. While doing speedometer calibration runs on our test track (a procedure we do for every test car before putting it in service by driving the car at a constant 65 mph between two measured points), the dashboard flashed a message and sounded a “bing“ showing a major fault. Our technician got the car off the track and put it into Park to go through the owner’s manual to interpret the warning. At that point, the transmission went into Neutral and wouldn’t engage any gear through its electronic shifter except Park and Neutral.

We let the car sit for about an hour and restarted it. We could now engage Drive and the same error message disappeared. After moving it only a few feet the error message reappeared and when we tried to engage Reverse the transmission went straight to Park and again no motion gear could be engaged. After calling the dealer, which is about 100 miles away, they promptly sent a flatbed tow truck to haul away the disabled Fisker.

We buy about 80 cars a year and this is the first time in memory that we have had a car that is undriveable before it has finished our check-in process.

Building an all-new car company from the ground up is a monumental challenge, especially for a car with innovative drivetrain technology like the Karma. Designing, engineering, certification, manufacturing, and distributing an all-new car pose giant hurtles for a start-up company.

We encountered other problems with a Karma press car that visited the track for a few hours, and we have heard of problems at press events. In addition, we see that some owners are experiencing a variety of issues, as evidenced by forums such as FiskerBuzz.com.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ivhp-i6i3vE#!

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

Re: $108,000 electric car breaks down during Consumer Reports test
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 10:09:56 PM »

Just a bad Karma.
                           ::rolllaughing::

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 10:15:29 PM »

Just a bad Karma.

I had one of those. It was made by VW...no wait - that was a Karma-Ghia  ::laughonfloor::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 10:20:19 PM »
:snerk:
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 11:26:09 PM »
Actually, I wish the thing didn't break down. I'd like to read how consumer reports was gonna praise thIs thing without losing all credibility.....fortunately for them, it broke down.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Consumer Reports plug-in hybrid car breaks down
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 10:38:01 AM »
Shows how well green cars work.

Our Fisker Karma cost us $107,850. It is super sleek, high-tech—and now it’s broken.

We have owned our car for just a few days; it has less than 200 miles on its odometer. While doing speedometer calibration runs on our test track (a procedure we do for every test car before putting it in service by driving the car at a constant 65 mph between two measured points), the dashboard flashed a message and sounded a “bing“ showing a major fault. Our technician got the car off the track and put it into Park to go through the owner’s manual to interpret the warning. At that point, the transmission went into Neutral and wouldn’t engage any gear through its electronic shifter except Park and Neutral.

We let the car sit for about an hour and restarted it. We could now engage Drive and the same error message disappeared. After moving it only a few feet the error message reappeared and when we tried to engage Reverse the transmission went straight to Park and again no motion gear could be engaged. After calling the dealer, which is about 100 miles away, they promptly sent a flatbed tow truck to haul away the disabled Fisker.

We buy about 80 cars a year and this is the first time in memory that we have had a car that is undriveable before it has finished our check-in process.

As usual, the comments on the page are hilarious. You have to laugh to keep from crying.

JEB • 12 hours agoReport Abuse
Does it cost more for one that runs?

Lacey Patterson •  Dickson, Tennessee • 12 hours agoReport Abuse
I coulda had a V8

bad bob •  Oklahoma City, Oklahoma • 12 hours agoReport Abuse
Perfect green car. Park it in the driveway and walk. That really saves on fuel

Mchammer • 12 hours agoReport Abuse
In other news The tow truck burned $250.00 in fuel to pick up and deliver the electric car.

Dad • 11 hours agoReport Abuse
$529 million American dollars for a company that is building them in Finland.........

Bend over and forget the axle grease!

Bela •  Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota • 8 hours agoReport Abuse
for this kind of money I can buy many real cars.....

0987942308ioufhwf • 12 hours agoReport Abuse
looks like their dogma ate their karma

Buck Ofama • 12 hours agoReport Abuse
They got $529 million in federal "green" money. For a hybrid that only the 1% can afford. Interesting....
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Re: Consumer Reports plug-in hybrid car breaks down
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 12:33:28 PM »
looks like their dogma ate their karma

:D

All of this waste of money and for what.  There is nothing wrong with the internal combustion engine and those who bemoan we're still using old technology need a bust in the mouth.  That the basic technology is old obviously doesn't
automatically render it obsolete and the technological tweakings have made it cleaner and more efficient.

I'm disgusted, as well, with the insistence that we "get off oil".  Why?  What the hell else are we going to do with it, considering all what we DO do with it; eat it?  It's a substance perfect for that which we use it and is not going to be done away with anytime soon, despite what the Left wants.  Leave it to them to not recognize the earth's bounteous gifts as given to us by God.  No, they'd rather burn OUR FOOD.

Farging iceholes.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline michelleo

Re: Consumer Reports plug-in hybrid car breaks down
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 12:43:11 PM »
The absurdity of this crap would be hilarious if it wasn't helping to bankrupt us.  
Very bad karma.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 03:53:59 AM »
Every Karma comes with a Yugo as a back-up vehicle .

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 07:47:04 AM »
Dumb and dumber.

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 07:07:16 PM »
All of this waste of money and for what.  There is nothing wrong with the internal combustion engine and those who bemoan we're still using old technology need a bust in the mouth.  That the basic technology is old obviously doesn't
automatically render it obsolete and the technological tweakings have made it cleaner and more efficient.

Those clowns that only want new tech would be nowhere without some old tech...  The wheel.  Or how about Fire.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 12:20:15 PM »
Every Karma comes with a Yugo as a back-up vehicle .

And inside the Yugo is lead pipe with a note instructing you to beat your head in when the back up system fails.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
 ::hysterical::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.