Author Topic: A Personal Goal!!!  (Read 4306 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
A Personal Goal!!!
« on: April 15, 2012, 12:31:05 PM »
  I did it today I hit my goal of having 1000 rounds of .40 SW for my hand gun I'm at 1100 rounds. Next I'm going for 2000 rounds.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: A Personal Goal!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 12:34:40 PM »
How many of those are you putting into practice?
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 01:26:13 PM »
How many of those are you putting into practice?

Every last one.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 01:39:43 PM »
I'm confused. You have 1100 rounds or you have practiced with 1100 rounds? Either way it's impressive.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 03:52:21 PM »
I'm confused. You have 1100 rounds or you have practiced with 1100 rounds? Either way it's impressive.

No I have 1100 in the house out of which 100 are left from the first 750 rounds I bout so I have fired off 650 so far at the range since I started going.My plans are to use everything at the range and keep replacing and adding to the stockpile I have so if I use 150 rounds every outing I will buy 250 to replace them since I buy in boxes of 250 and this way I achieve my goal of range time and adding to the stockpile.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 04:14:53 PM »
Have you received any formal instruction on shooting?

I was amazed at how much I was able to improve my pistol shooting when I got just a couple of hours of instruction. It's kind of like getting a golf lesson. You get a pro to watch you and correct your mistakes and you just can't help but do better.

The instructor that I used had me doing a form of point shooting where I would draw from the holster and bring the pistol up on the silhouette target. The idea was to get the first shot in the chest area and the second and third shots into the head...all without sighting. After two hours I was doing it almost every single time in less than two or three seconds.

But even without an instructor it's always good to just get out and shoot...getting familiar and used to the act of shooting, reloading, etc.

I don't have the luxury of an actual shooting range anywhere near where I live. I have to take a little trip into the national forest, bring my own targets, etc. Not so easy to do in the winter.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 05:28:59 PM »
Have you received any formal instruction on shooting?

I was amazed at how much I was able to improve my pistol shooting when I got just a couple of hours of instruction. It's kind of like getting a golf lesson. You get a pro to watch you and correct your mistakes and you just can't help but do better.

The instructor that I used had me doing a form of point shooting where I would draw from the holster and bring the pistol up on the silhouette target. The idea was to get the first shot in the chest area and the second and third shots into the head...all without sighting. After two hours I was doing it almost every single time in less than two or three seconds.

But even without an instructor it's always good to just get out and shoot...getting familiar and used to the act of shooting, reloading, etc.

I don't have the luxury of an actual shooting range anywhere near where I live. I have to take a little trip into the national forest, bring my own targets, etc. Not so easy to do in the winter.

No no instruction yet but I did sell a car to a guy that's a major in special forces and he wants to take me out a few times to make sure I can do it right as he put it.But last time out I was very proud of myself cause I put 60 rounds through a hole no bigger than a silver dollar at 40 feet. That for me was a real high.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 06:02:49 PM »
That is impressive. I'm impressed.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 06:25:11 PM »
That is impressive. I'm impressed.

I was stoked and surprised at the same time myself.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 07:17:29 PM »
That is quite good, well done John!

::clapping::

If anyone goes for instruction, be sure you research their philosophy, many elements are similar, but self-defense shooting is close in and things like quick response/target acquisition is critical.  And practice never hurts if your process is correct.

I have a lot of to-do's on my list, but I would love to make a more permanent little range at the lake, practice drawing and shooting with live rounds, stuff you really can't do with the restrictions at your local range.

Keep at it John!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 08:41:07 PM »
I wish I could find a place to practice with my Saiga. I've tried three different ranges - one didn't allow shotgun at all, and the other two seemed scared spitless at the sight of a semi-auto shotgun with a 20-round drum.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 09:12:52 PM »
I wish I could find a place to practice with my Saiga. I've tried three different ranges - one didn't allow shotgun at all, and the other two seemed scared spitless at the sight of a semi-auto shotgun with a 20-round drum.

Bring it to FL. we'll find a place for sure.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 09:35:22 PM »
- one didn't allow shotgun at all, and the other two seemed scared spitless at the sight of a semi-auto shotgun with a 20-round drum.

That's odd. Most gun people KNOW it operates the same as a Remington 1100. ::bashing::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 10:00:35 PM »
Maybe they're just biased against ruskie machinery.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 12:15:55 AM »
Most likely you were dealing with a bunch of Fudds.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly