Author Topic: This Day in History  (Read 2237 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
This Day in History
« on: February 20, 2011, 09:48:23 PM »
Congress outlaws dueling.

(That may have been a mistake, given the current times!)

Astronaut John Glenn becomes the first American to orbit the earth.

(One of the few things he did I didn't disagree with!)

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: This Day in History
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 09:57:07 PM »
I think the implied threat of dueling would improve the behavior of Leftists most satisfactorily.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 06:44:51 AM »
That's always been my opinion!

;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 11:22:50 PM »
Congress outlaws dueling.

(That may have been a mistake, given the current times!)

Now that would make some kind of reality show with ratings off the chart!  For the winner, in the last show you don't get a million dollars and some girl.  You get to live!
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 04:54:14 AM »
A particular case I always found interesting happened after the Battle of Missionary Ridge . Braxton Bragg's Confederate army was in full reatreat and he was unwilling to halt for a fight even as the opportunity presented itself . His subordinates were fed up with him and one of them , Nathan Bedford Forrest , went to his headquarters for a confrontation . He excoriated Bragg in the most profane way ending with ; " Sir , If you were any kind of man , I would slap your face !" The implication was itself an insult ... i.e that Bragg was too cowardly to respond and consequently not a gentleman either . I've always liked Forrest . He was really something !