Author Topic: 2012 Summer Olympics in London  (Read 11421 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
2012 Summer Olympics in London
« on: July 28, 2012, 09:30:35 AM »
Might as well get a thread going for all things Olympics, I got a feelin' we'll be commenting on more than a few things.

First, opening ceremonies...how droll they have become!  We should have live-chat this last night, I bet it would have been more entertaining than watching that crap!

Weird hill thingy and industrial revolution stuff, celebrating their national health bureaucracy?  You've got to be friggin' kidding me!  Kids jumping on beds...WTF?  I'm surprised the Queen was even awake!  I thought it the most insufferable opening ceremony I can recall.  About the only mildly entertaining parts were the sky-dive (the Queen should have had a parachute trailing behind her and removed upon entering if they really wanted to make it fun) and Mr. Bean stealing the Chariots of Fire segment.  I took a break during the parade of athletes, and apart from the clever cauldron contraption I could have missed the rest.

And the common-taters on NBC...egads, just STFU!

::facepalm::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
Re: 2012 Summer Olympics in London
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 09:36:34 AM »
Oh yeah, the multi-culti stuff was gag-worthy too.

Slumdog Olympics via Drudge -

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hK3ZHgHyRLFGgFylJyPxUfH0kOtg?docId=CNG.2249ee77cd214cd016f6cfc488472e87.2a1

Slumdog Olympics!   ::hysterical::  Perfect!

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 09:38:22 AM »
And it all only took some 15,000 volunteer workers and 43 million dollars or something like that...
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 09:41:19 AM »
There's Olympics going on?

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 03:07:24 PM »
WTF was up with the American outfits??  When they first came out I thought they were France.
Eschew Obfuscation

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 06:31:20 PM »
My wife (and I, by default, I promise) watched a good chunk of this opening whatever it was yesterday. It was absolutely bizarre.

I remember a thread here a few months back when we discussed the artistic world redefining beauty by presenting ugliness as the standard for beautiful, and how that comes from the totalitarian Left as part of their "undermining of tradition and heritage" initiative.

I got that sense from this event, in a major and creepy way. I felt a prescience - as if in this "ceremony" I was witnessing an allegory of the demise of Western Civilization.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 06:44:16 PM »
LONDON — A celebration of free healthcare, the trade union struggle, the battle for women's rights and a fleeting lesbian kiss: the Olympics opening ceremony Friday did not shy away from weighty social issues.

- absolutely nothing that has (or should have) ANYTHING to do with Olympics. I'm glad that I stayed away. Another tradition in the sh*tter.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 05:36:37 PM »
I never watch the opening or closing ceremonies. What can I say? I hate pageantry and bad pageantry is, obviously, much worse.

But I do enjoy watching sports unhindered by mrs. trapeze who, like most women, is inexplicably interested in them once every two years. I suppose she appreciates the human interest crap that is thrown into the mix at the Olympics. You would think that the NFL and other sports would pick up on this and somehow figure out a way to get women interested.

I mostly enjoy the Olympic coverage. One of my few complaints, though, is the politically correct network's (doesn't matter which one) dearth of shooting coverage. The USA almost always does quite well in the shooting competitions and yet most Americans probably don't even know that they exist. There is more coverage of table tennis, badminton and handball than there is of the shooting sports...which is zero.

Another small complaint is where gifted professional athletes (almost always Americans) are inexplicably found to have some vague and tenuous connection to another nationality and are given permission to compete on another team. This is most obvious in basketball. It wasn't very long ago that professionals couldn't compete at all unless they were communists. But now not only can they compete but if they aren't good enough to make an American team they can farm themselves out to some other country. For the life of me I can't imagine wanting to represent any country but the USA. Go figure.

But, getting back to watching the events...I guess one of the big draws is the unexpected defeat or upset. I have gotten several laughs at the expense of the ChiComm men's gymnastics team who have had several spectacular screw ups...I'll bet they can't wait to get back home to receive beatings or solitary confinement or some such totalitarian punishment.

I cheated today and checked on the NBC Sports site to see what happened. A female American gymnast breaks into tears when she fails to qualify for the all around competition so that will be fun interesting to watch. Oh, and there is a new Jamaican bobsled type person...some guy from Niger gets to compete in rowing (he won some kind of wild card thingy where he gets a pity pass) and the crowd goes nuts over his inevitable last place finish. He's just happy for a trip out of Africa for a couple of weeks.

The other big thing that would be fun to watch (but will NEVER be shown) is the ludicrous behavior and attitude of the muslims toward the Israelis. I would pay to see any of the Israeli vs. generic arab/muslim fighting sports competitions. Of course, the security at this year's games is notoriously poor and weak so there is always the possibility of a muslim attack on the Israeli team. I have to believe that the Mossad is there, ready and waiting, and it will be different than Munich...several dead muslims with their brains splattered all over the place. I'd pay to see that happen, too.

So...you never know. It could be an interesting couple of weeks.

And, after it's all over, the next big circus event starts up...the Democrat and Republican conventions.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 05:42:24 PM »
I also wonder if O'Bongo could qualify to compete on the Kenyan team?

Perhaps if they had an Olympic chooming competition or Olympic basketball parody. Or Special Olympics bowling.
Or a teleprompter triathlon.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 06:03:33 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 05:52:04 PM »
So yeah, there's no crying in baseball...

...but there is in women's gymnastics.

They do have cute uniforms, though.

Hey, you know Olympic fencing would be a lot more interesting if they got to draw blood. That would be a good one to see the Israelis square off against all muslims. Which reminds me...I would really like to see Olympic broadsword competition. Or at least Olympic Ultimate Fighting.

Olympic No Limit Texas Hold'em Poker would be worth a shot, too.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 05:58:43 PM by trapeze »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 06:37:05 PM »
"dearth of shooting coverage"

Just commented on that to my Father last night.  We both think that is a joke, and we loath the MFM for it.

"Mossad is there"

Don't doubt it for a second.  The Israelis protect their own.  If Muzzies are crazy enough to tempt them I'm sure Mossad agents will send them to hell in a heartbeat.

"I was witnessing an allegory of the demise of Western Civilization"

Felt like it to me too IDP!

::gaah::

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 06:48:57 PM »
Something missing from this year's swimming competition is the full length suits. According to an article (dated January 4, 2010) I found, they have been banned for a couple of years now.

The full body swimsuit made famous by Michael Phelps and other Beijing Olympians in 2008 won't be seen on anywhere on deck this year.

Beginning this year, swimmers are banned worldwide from wearing polyurethane and neoprene suits during competition.

FINA, the world governing body of swimming, issued the regulations earlier this year after an unprecedented number of swimmers broke world records after the high-performance swimsuits were introduced in 2008. The regulations went into effect Jan. 1, 2010.

Since their introduction in 2008 the suits, which cut down on fatigue and give swimmers more buoyancy and speed, have led to nearly 200 world records. Last year, 43 world records were set at last summer's world championships in Rome. Phelps wore the Speedo LZR, a full-body, 50-percent polyurethane swimsuit during the Beijing Olympics, where he won eight gold medals. Phelps broke seven world records in Beijing.

I don't know why and the article doesn't really say why. They hint that the reason is that so many swimming records were broken in such a short period of time that it was somehow not legitimate. Personally, I think this is ridiculous. Whenever you have a technological improvement of some kind this happens.

I remember when the Australians ended the dominance of the USA in the America's Cup yachting race. It was brought about by a secret keel design which turned out to be a wing on the bottom of the boat. These things happen. Records are shattered and paradigms are shifted.

Obviously the line has to be drawn (and has been drawn) at altering or artificially enhancing the athletes' actual bodies through steroids or blood doping or genetic engineering or whatever. But a purely mechanical improvement in equipment, one that all competitors can (and did) utilize is, to me, perfectly legitimate. As long as the competition is fair and there is no threat of physical harm to the athletes then I see no problem.

Records are made to be broken.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 06:53:21 PM by trapeze »

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 06:51:05 PM »
...I would really like to see ...Olympic Ultimate Fighting.

There is a strong case to be made for Mixed Martial Arts in the Olympics. Thanks to eh UFC the sport has evolved far beyond street brawling to the point where one could confidently say that these men in the upper echelon of the sport are the best fighters in the world, hands down. If there's no justification for MMA, then there ought not be for Boxing or Wrestling either.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
Well, you know Olympic boxing is quite emasculated what with the super duper padded headgear the fighters are required to wear.

I like Olympic wrestling since it's actually real as opposed to the fraud that is "professional wrestling."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 07:11:09 PM »
Well, you know Olympic boxing is quite emasculated what with the super duper padded headgear the fighters are required to wear.

I like Olympic wrestling since it's actually real as opposed to the fraud that is "professional wrestling."

Yeah, my Father and I commented on this too, practically impossible to get a knockout and my Father says all a guy has to do is just jab a lot and get the points.  Pretty farcical to us, waste of time to watch.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 07:37:23 PM »

Poll vault was originally done with a wooden pole
now days its some type of carbon fiber which turns
the vaulter into a ballistic missile.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 08:21:57 PM »
I'd like to see battles at sea using trireme's and authenitic "Greek fire"!   ;D

charlesoakwood

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 09:38:38 PM »
Rhode is the first American to win a medal in five consecutive Olympics.

Eat that, gun fearing liberals.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero