Author Topic: Progressive for Public Education admits to being a Fascist  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Progressive for Public Education admits to being a Fascist
« on: February 18, 2012, 09:34:18 AM »
Read this

Summed upbest by this comment:

Goldstein seems not to recognize the irrationality of his own arguments. He laments parents who don't read to their children, but somehow overlooks that homeschoolers have to read to their children. He talks passionately about the importance of peer effects in education, but ignores that homeschoolers are specifically trying to harness those peer effects.

More distressing, Goldstein seems to believe that progressive values are to (1) follow politicians blindly, (2) not form private associations that aren't approved by politicians, and (3) crush out diversity and demand social homogeneity. If those are progressive values, then the problem is progressivism, not homeschooling.

Liberals love diversity as long as it isn't diversity of values, thought or action, and the author admits that is what "progressive" education is for - indoctrination in the "right" valuea, and promoting the "right" thoughts and actions as defined by liberals - and even makes the Nazi assertion: "Gemeinnutz geht vor Eigennutz" - "The community comes before the individual" - when discussing if I should be allowed to homeschool.   These people need to be rounded up and shot, before they try to do it to us.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 09:42:03 AM by Weisshaupt »

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Progressive for Public Education admits to being a Fascist
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 10:35:31 AM »
Weisshaupt, did you get through the whole piece without throwing something?

Low-income kids earn higher test scores when they attend school alongside middle-class kids ...

Bulloknee.  Never been proven that this is true.  "Oo oo, if I sit next to you, I'll just BE smarter!"

And salting the learners with the problem kids brings down the total test scores and hides the problem.  Furthermore, "low-income" does not mean stupid.

But here’s the great thing about attending racially and socioeconomically integrated schools: It helps children become better grown-ups. Research by Columbia University sociologist Amy Stuart Wells found that adult graduates of integrated high schools shared a commitment to diversity, to understanding and bridging cultural differences, and to appreciating “the humanness of individuals across racial lines.”

"Share a commitment to di-VER-sity ...".  Yup, indoctrinated.

A comment from my local forum:

... my wife sees plenty of home schooled kids who cannot work in groups, eat lunch in groups, and have overall anxiety at being in a public school setting.

Maybe the disorder and chaos in most public schools has something to do with what his "wife sees".
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 11:06:09 AM »
O noes!  Two of his home-schooled kids are in the military!  Not. progressive!

Home schooling worked for us ....3 kids - all adults now. The oldest is an ICU Nurse (like her mom), the next graduated with Honors from both the Naval Academy and Naval Postgrad school, and is now a nuclear trained officer on a submarine, and the third is a Sergeant in the Army. All 3 are good citizens and contributors to society. Home schooling allowed us to tailor their classes to meet their needs and style of learning. Unlike the article ...we did not believe in "un-schooling" - and most home-schoolers we know also have structure, standards, and high expectations! Our kids were tested regularly - and we would have made adjustments if they ever failed to test above their grade level. 

On the other hand, if we wanted our kids to have public school experience, we might have been able to hire a big kid to come by, beat up 1, steal the lunch money from the other 2 - then we could take them down to the sleazy side of town to see how risque the attire that was acceptable in school. I am not sure how we could have simulated the mindless indoctrination of some of the teachers - perhaps have them view Al Gore's movie "An inconvenient Lie" a dozen times.

All in all - we are happy we spent the time/money and effort to ensure our kids got the best possible education!

Lol.

Btw, what is with this idea that reading to your child is a sign of a responsible parent?  Other than the child being entertained, where is the educational value?  Wouldn't it be more effective to teach the child to read to you?  I was an early and fast reader; nobody read to any of us kids and we did just fine.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 11:16:00 AM »
Bulloknee.  Never been proven that this is true.  "Oo oo, if I sit next to you, I'll just BE smarter!"

And salting the learners with the problem kids brings down the total test scores and hides the problem.

This was one of the main reasons for taking our Son out.. they wanted to use him as a teachers assistant, and because he was smart they would like to pair him up with the "dumb kids" - aka the class bully.  Parents have long worried about their kids falling in with the wrong crowd.. asserting that kids academic preformace doesn't falter when placed with children who disrupt the learning environment and apply peer pressure to misbehave is simply ludicrous.  Upping the test scores to cover up for the worst performers is the only interest schools have in the "smart" kids.

I read to the kids and I have since they were very little. We enjoy it as a family, and  its really more of a bedtime ritual now.  Has it helped my kids develop a love of reading? Not really, if anything they have just developed a fondness for Daddy reading instead of them.  They have to read for school,  so its not like they never do it, and they will read "for fun" if the adults are also reading,  but I have yet to see either child pick up a book without prodding.  Just too many other distractions  are available. Perhaps not a good thing, but they are still young.  In the meantime my eight year old has deveoped a fondness for Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs. Maybe not the most intellectual of shows, but I think it does demonstrate some form of curiosity and interest in learning..

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 04:40:03 AM »

But here’s the great thing about attending racially and socioeconomically integrated schools: It helps children become better grown-ups. Research by Columbia University sociologist Amy Stuart Wells found that adult graduates of integrated high schools shared a commitment to diversity, to understanding and bridging cultural differences, and to appreciating “the humanness of individuals across racial lines.”

Which means more often than not that they ( white middle-class students ) come out of high school thinking and acting like their dissaffected black and hispanic classmates . Three cheers for the Public Indoctrination System !  ::grouphug:: ::falldownshocked::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 12:33:38 PM »
"Gemeinnutz geht vor Eigennutz"

::rockets::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.