Author Topic: Jack Bruce  (Read 825 times)

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Jack Bruce
« on: October 27, 2014, 09:34:57 AM »
Cream guitarist Jack Bruce dies

An argument could be made that classic rock was born in 1966, with the release of Fresh Cream.  Earlier that year he was with Manfred Mann, playing bass and background vocals.  Despite having a Number 1 hit with them (in Europe) he made the decision to leave them to form Cream.

Wise career move. 

RIP to one of the greats.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Jack Bruce
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 09:58:30 AM »
With John Mayall way back when like Clapton, didn't know that.

Liver diesease...  Hmmm...

Cream was a good albeit short-lived (66-68) band.

Pedigree of members includes The Yardbirds, The Jeff Beck Group, Blind Faith and Led Zeppelin.

So, what was the deal between Bruce & Baker anyway?
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 10:16:22 AM »
I thought it was Baker and Clapton that hated each other.  I am surprised that Ginger Baker outlived Jack Bruce.  Baker has been a top 10 dead pool pick for decades.

Bruce went from John Mayall to Manfred Mann to Cream. 

In fact, looking at the John Mayall albums, John McVie was the main credited bassist on all albums from that period, before bailing the group with Mick Fleetwood and Peter Green, to form  some group that went about as far to nowhereville as Cream did.  :supercool:  I only see him credited on some bonus cuts, on re-releases.  Maybe something happened with McVie, temporarily. 

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 10:55:48 AM »
I'm [not] So Glad to hear this.

Great group, Cream - dunno about the attitudes of the members w/ each other...but I've followed Baker more than the others since then - great Jazz drummer w/ The Ginger Baker Trio (with Bill Frisell on guitar, and Charlie Haden, drums)

http://www.amazon.com/Falling-Roof-Ginger-Baker-Trio/dp/B003A9COLQ/ref=sr_1_4_bnp_1_mus?ie=UTF8&qid=1414425117&sr=8-4&keywords=ginger+baker+trio

RIP, Jack.
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 11:51:57 AM »
An article I read somewhere quoted Clapton as thinking the addition of Steve Winwood was good musically as well as balance out Baker & Bruce, maybe they vied on the songwriting aspect, I dunno...first I heard of it.

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.