Author Topic: High School kids chanting 'USA! USA' deemed a racist act  (Read 2864 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
High School kids chanting 'USA! USA' deemed a racist act
« on: March 07, 2012, 11:43:33 PM »
A local school district is apologizing after an apparent incident of racism at a boys high school basketball game this past weekend.

When the final whistle blew Saturday, Alamo Heights celebrated a convincing victory over San Antonio Edison.

[...]

"Tremendously proud," Brewer said. "Tremendously. It's the best group of kids."

But it was just after the trophy presentation when the coach was not proud of the chant coming from Alamo Heights fans.

"USA, USA, USA," they chanted.

San Antonio Independent School District officials took the chant as a racial insult to a school with all minority players from a school with mostly white ones.

On the KSAT 12 Defenders Facebook page, Santos Villarreal's post reads "this has to stop."

SAISD Spokeswoman Leslie Price heard about the incident after it had happened.

"This is very disrespectful to our students," Price said.

She said the district is glad the coach put a stop to the chant immediately and hopes Alamo Heights addresses it quickly.

"It is surprising and it's disappointing to hear that anyone would be out there making those kind of remarks," Price said.

Edison students who attended Saturday's game were shocked when they heard the chant. Some thought the fans of the victors should have been better behaved.

Ruby Arredondo and Forest Lebaron are seniors at Edison and Julian Castellano is a junior.

"I was very surprised," Castellano said. "Very appalled."

"They didn't really have any class," Arredondo said.

"It just rubbed us the wrong way," Lebaron said.

Was it "racist?" Or poor sportsmanship?

I think more the latter than the former. I don't think the students chanting "USA!" were necessarily showing pride in our country. They were rubbing it in to the opposing side - a clear case of bad manners and poor sportsmanship.

But to interpret the chant as "racist" is a stretch - political correctness run wild. Does this mean that anyone who criticizes Mexico is a racist? Anyone who mocks Mexico is making a racial statement?

That's absurd on its face. What is at work here, is the victim card being played and school officials playing along with it. I don't think the chant was called for. But the reaction to it is over the top.

If you're going to chant "USA!" do it to support the country, not to mock someone else.

First, Rick Moran, the author, is an idiot.  If he doesn't believe it's racist, why title the article as such?

Second, from the comments on this and an article from a local source, it appears the "communities" surrounding  Alamo Heights, the "offender", have a problem with its mostly White and affluent gated-ness.  This makes them suspect no matter what they chant.

Third, the day has arrived when chanting "USA USA" is racist because the illegal "minorities" among us are offended at being deemed unAmerican despite their carrying of Mexican flags and huffing at the wearing of American flag t-shirts on Cinco de Mayo.

I'm sick of this sht.  Really.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: High School kids chanting 'USA! USA' deemed a racist act
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 12:17:25 AM »
People need to start doubling down. Show up anyway, everybody bring ten friends, a few bullhorns, T-shirts that say "f*ck illegal aliens and their leech kids", and then chant "US F*cking A" while flipping the bird double-fisted.

You're being accused of racism for showing national pride. Might as well do it for real. Give 'em something to accuse you of.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 01:20:55 AM »
Remember when the USA and Mexico soccer teams played in the Rose Bowl.  It was decidedly a "home" game for the Mexican team, and the US team was booed by the crowd of invaders.

I keep thinking (hoping) that surely Flyover America is going to suddenly snap and go apesh*t on the Leftists ruining our civilization. Yet, it never happens. Is that going be our civilization's epitaph? "They Were Always So Polite"?
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 03:36:13 AM »
I only heard about this when it was discussed yesterday on "The Five" . Let's put one thing to rest right frigging now ... Hispanics are NOT a "race" ! They are an "ethnic group" ! What was done was nationalistic NOT racist ! Those on the left should complain ( if they care to ) on THAT basis !

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 07:17:30 AM »
Just like those kids wanting to honor the American flag in CA a while back, deemed "inflammatory" and "insensitive" to Latinos who trot around with La Raza sh*t and Mexican flags!  BS!  Enought of this sh*t!

::angry::

Adn IDP is spot on, time to get in their faces BIG TIME!   ::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 07:34:08 AM »
I'm tired of all this timidness.

This is our country.  We have a flag, we have a Constitution, we have patriotic songs.  I'm sick of people afraid to offend anyone.  I go to any other country and no one is putting their flag away because I'm there.  If anything their shoving theirs in my face and burning mine.

Instead of accomodating everyone, we should be making it clear--here are the rules:  "This is our country.You play by our rules. Period."

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 08:27:19 AM »
It's just more retardation of the left that lumps everything into race.  Yesterday it was religion, today it's geography.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 06:27:08 PM »
It's just more retardation of the left that lumps everything into race.  Yesterday it was religion, today it's geography.

It's too bad the libtards haven't realized there's only 3 races, AND LATINO AIN'T ONE OF THEM!! ::laserkill::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 07:20:42 PM »
I was very surprised to find there are folks who vehemently agree that these kids were deliberately mocking the other team for being "brown", to the point of throwing ad hominems.  You'd think the "racist" charge would be getting old by now, but, nope, not for some folks.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 07:27:44 PM »
When chanting "USA" means you're mocking someone because they're brown, the Right and Left are past understanding one another.

We're past understanding one another.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 07:34:47 PM »
When chanting "USA" means you're mocking someone because they're brown, the Right and Left are past understanding one another.

We're past understanding one another.

We are past understanding one another indeed.  And that goes for some who supposedly lean Right as well.

By their fruits, you will know them.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 11:41:15 PM »
Maybe they should have chanted viva la rasa?
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 07:40:31 AM »
Maybe they should have chanted viva la rasa?

Well, then everyone would have stood around being polite....

::gaah::
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

charlesoakwood

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 08:11:43 AM »

If they identify so deeply with Mexico they should leave here and live there.
Oh, that's right if they moved to Mexico they would be illegal immigrants and
would be severely penalized, deported or thrown in jail.  

I can hear the wake up call

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 04:34:30 PM »
  The problem I see is that the legals are mixed in and don't do anything to support their new home.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 05:10:16 PM »
Part of that is that the immigration paradigm has changed.  Now we mostly have immigrants motivated by economics (or more specifically, by the freebies we foolishly dole out). Earlier generations of immigrants were more likely to be motivated by abstract notions of freedom, of which a fruitful economy was simply a byproduct.  This sort of immigrant wanted to become an American, and embraced English and the underlying Anglo-Saxon culture.

Now they just want to come here for material acquisition while maintaining national loyalties with wherever they came from, or ethnic loyalties with whatever immigrant subculture they're part of. Becoming American is not only a low priority, it's deliberately agitated against.

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 08:00:32 PM »
Part of that is that the immigration paradigm has changed.  Now we mostly have immigrants motivated by economics (or more specifically, by the freebies we foolishly dole out). Earlier generations of immigrants were more likely to be motivated by abstract notions of freedom, of which a fruitful economy was simply a byproduct.  This sort of immigrant wanted to become an American, and embraced English and the underlying Anglo-Saxon culture.

Now they just want to come here for material acquisition while maintaining national loyalties with wherever they came from, or ethnic loyalties with whatever immigrant subculture they're part of. Becoming American is not only a low priority, it's deliberately agitated against.

DING DING DING!!WE HAVE A WINNER!!!
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 01:48:06 AM »
I can't do a quote of Glock's last post with my dumbphone, but he's spot on. And the reason for the shift in attitude is - as with all things - a monster of the Left.

Liberal multiculturalism validates and reaffirms for the immigrant that the culture to which they fled is no better than the culture from which they fled. The Left encourages entitlement and non-assimilation. Without the Left, it is difficult to imagine any immigrant culture here or anywhere else fleeing from poverty, finding opportunity in a new country, and then being unappreciative of that opportunity.

It all comes back to the Left. Enemies in the literal sense of the word, and all it implies.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 10:35:47 AM »
It all comes back to the Left. Enemies in the literal sense of the word, and all it implies.

I have for some time now come to the conclusion that there is simply, and unfortunately, no way to address the internal enemy without producing a certain degree of collateral damage. By that I mean the drawing of lines in the sand that are necessarily going to be somewhat arbitrary, and then sticking to it.  What's the alternative?  Let the Left within continue to do what the entire Soviet Army never dreamed of accomplishing?

When people use the word "balkanization" to describe the fracturing of a society along various lines that had always been smoldering under the surface, they are specifically referring to the example of Yugoslavia.  When the Soviet Bloc collapsed, and its various client states were left to suddenly fend for themselves the artificiality of these postwar constructs became apparent. Removing the force of a central government let all these smoldering tensions suddenly erupt into flames, just like providing a sudden source of fresh air to a starved fire.

I have no doubt the same thing is in store here, as the Federal government loses its legitimacy by some combination of incompetence, arrogance, and economic anemia.

- Yours Truly