Author Topic: McDonalds Targeted by Stonyfield Farm Front Group  (Read 1704 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
McDonalds Targeted by Stonyfield Farm Front Group
« on: December 01, 2011, 10:27:21 AM »
McDonald's Corporation is no stranger to threats from the Left, especially environmental activist groups.

The nanny-state obesity fighters' attacks (think Super Size Me) are well-documented, and Green groups like Rainforest Alliance, Greenpeace and Environmental Defense have extracted their pound of flesh over things like coffee bean suppliers, Amazon rainforests, and styrofoam packaging.

Now comes the latest pressure tactic aimed at the Golden Arches by a group called Climate Counts, which has initiated a "Green Watching" campaign against the fast food giant.

McDonald's isn't the only company to come under scrutiny; it's just the most recent. Climate Counts has evaluated several companies and assigns them scores on a 0-to-100 scale based upon 22 criteria, which fall under one of four categories:

Their climate "footprint"
    Reduction of their impact on global warming (yes, Climate Counts still uses that term)
    Support or opposition toward progressive climate legislation
    Public disclosure of their climate actions "clearly and comprehensively"

But beyond the scorecard, followers of Climate Counts are encouraged to put pressure via their spending habits, influence with friends, and direct contact to get corporations to follow the climate alarmists' agenda. Companies with low scores are to be avoided by the "climate-conscious consumer," because they are "not yet taking meaningful action on climate change." McDonald's just barely rose above that level with a score of 36. I guess at least having a vice president for sustainability counts for something. In contrast Burger King and Wendy's Arby's Group received dud scores of 11 and 7, respectively.

That's the background; here comes the good stuff:

Climate Counts was established by organic dairy company Stonyfield Farms, and two company officers -- including president Gary Hirshberg -- serve on the nonprofit's board. Hirshberg, author of Stirring It Up: How to Make Money and Save the World, has supported liberal causes and was considered a potential Democratic opponent in 2008 to Sen. John Sununu in New Hampshire. The company was founded in Wilton, NH, as an organic farming school. Over the last decade the majority of the company was purchased by French food product company Groupe Danone, maker of Dannon yogurt.

In October 2006 Business Week reported on the global growth of organic products, with a focus on Stonyfield:

...It may come as a surprise that Stonyfield's organic farm is long gone. Its main facility is a state-of-the-art industrial plant just off the airport strip in Londonderry, N.H., where it handles milk from other farms. And consider this: Sometime soon a portion of the milk used to make that organic yogurt may be taken from a chemical-free cow in New Zealand, powdered, and then shipped to the U.S. True, Stonyfield still cleaves to its organic heritage. For Chairman and CEO Gary Hirshberg, though, shipping milk powder 9,000 miles across the planet is the price you pay to conquer the supermarket dairy aisle. "It would be great to get all of our food within a 10-mile radius of our house," he says. "But once you're in organic, you have to source globally."

One of the mottos of the global warming crowd is to "buy local," a principle Hirshberg has abandoned apparently in favor of corporate profits. Oh, and Climate Counts' score for Stonyfield Farms is a stellar 83, and it's 73 for Group Danone.

H/T The Locker Room
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: McDonalds Targeted by Stonyfield Farm Front Group
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 11:23:12 AM »
Punks!  Lets kick 'em!

::asskicking::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 11:39:53 AM »
More hypocracy? Who'd a thunk it.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 11:45:07 AM »
You'd think, wouldn't you, that exposures of this type would wise up some of the limp-middle and leaning-lefties? 

Apparently nawt; don't confuse them with the facts.  One doesn't need to dazzle them with brilliance when baffling them with bullsht will suffice.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 11:55:51 AM »
We see what they leave behind on other peoples property (OWS), these people thrive on bullsh*t...they wouldn't know the truth if it caved their head in...

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 12:40:55 PM »
Saw a program about organic & natural-based food companies.  Many of them did start out as local, feel-good companies run by people who seemed to believe their own message...until...well...the chance for big money came along and they sold out.  It may have been the Stonyfield guy who said he had to wrestle with the idea of balancing the need to bring organics to everyone with selling out to a big, conventional company.

Sure.

Give a liberal a few million and let's see which way he "wrestles".   ::laughonfloor::

Capitalism gets them every time.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 03:15:29 AM »
McDonald's should name a new sandwich after "Climate Counts" . I'd call it "The McAnus" !

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 06:52:15 AM »
See, a high profile company like McDonald's could launch a "common sense about Global Warming" campaign in retaliation. They could highlight the facts of ClimateGate I and II, point to the lies supporting the bogus claims, and then take the position that no one knows whether or not human being affect the climate, but that McDonald's strives to responsibly treat the environment while bringing consistent quality product to the market at a price consumers enjoy. LOTS of companies could do exactly that, and break the backs of these enviro-nazis. It's what needs to happen.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 06:57:32 AM »
Been waiting for that to happen on a host of issues for years, even decades IDP, it appears to me the lawyers have won the day for the Left, businesses have been seduced into thinking capitulation and payoff's are the best way to protect the bottom line.

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 08:10:36 AM »
Speaking of Mickey D's skirmishes with leftism lately...

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/29/victory-mcdonalds-outsmarts-san-francisco-on-happy-meal-ban/

Come Dec. 1, you can still buy the Happy Meal. But it doesn’t come with a toy. For that, you’ll have to pay an extra 10 cents.

Huh. That hardly seems to have solved the problem (though adults and children purchasing unhealthy food can at least take solace that the 10 cents is going to Ronald McDonald House charities). But it actually gets worse from here. Thanks to Supervisor Eric Mar’s much-ballyhooed new law, parents browbeaten into supplementing their preteens’ Happy Meal toy collections are now mandated to buy the Happy Meals.

Today and tomorrow mark the last days that put-upon parents can satiate their youngsters by simply throwing down $2.18 for a Happy Meal toy. But, thanks to the new law taking effect on Dec. 1, this is no longer permitted. Now, in order to have the privilege of making a 10-cent charitable donation in exchange for the toy, you must buy the Happy Meal. Hilariously, it appears Mar et al., in their desire to keep McDonald’s from selling grease and fat to kids with the lure of a toy have now actually incentivized the purchase of that grease and fat — when, beforehand, a put-upon parent could get out cheaper and healthier with just the damn toy.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 08:31:18 AM »
This is exactly the sort of thing that happens when non-free market laws are passed making it unnecessarily difficult to conduct business; the companies find and use a squirrely work-around, giving critics yet another reason to btch.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 01:18:26 PM »
Been waiting for that to happen on a host of issues for years, even decades IDP, it appears to me the lawyers have won the day for the Left, businesses have been seduced into thinking capitulation and payoff's are the best way to protect the bottom line.

::thinking::

Ford's ad mentions they didn't take a bailout and then the ad disappears...
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 02:25:15 PM »

::thinking::

Ford's ad mentions they didn't take a bailout and then the ad disappears...

Yup, funny that, eh?

::facepalm::